Inexpensive bike computer that will show calories burned?

Hi,

Does anybody have a recommendation for an inexpensive bike computer
that will show calories burned? I've found the Garmin 205 and 305
models on the web, but they are a little expensive for me.
I'm riding for fitness more than anything else. I frequently change
up my routes and I would like some consistent relative measure of how
hard I've worked vs. other rides.

Thanks,
John

On Aug 12, 10:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for an inexpensive bike computer
> that will show calories burned? I've found the Garmin 205 and 305
> models on the web, but they are a little expensive for me.
> I'm riding for fitness more than anything else. I frequently change
> up my routes and I would like some consistent relative measure of how
> hard I've worked vs. other rides.
>
> Thanks,
> John

The computer won't factor in heat, humidity, wind, hills, tire
pressure, etc...

If you want to get "sort-of" quantitative, map your routes on Google's
pedometer and save them. It has basic calorie metrics, but what is
more relevant to training considerations is elevation data. It has
that.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for an inexpensive bike computer
> that will show calories burned?

I agree with the above poster about the computer (likely) not registering
many important factors.

I've found the Garmin 205 and 305
> models on the web,

I have a Garmin Edge 305 and love it but I take the calories-burned figures
with a grain of salt. Like most calorie calculators, it seems to be a good
20% high.

>but they are a little expensive for me.

IIRC, I've seen the 205 on ebay for about $140 and I got the 305 w/cadence
there from a reliable seller for about $200. You can get a refurb for some
$40 cheaper. I think Polar has some cheaper bike computers showing calories
burned. Perfprmance Bike often sells those at good prices.

Hi Zen,
Thanks for the info. I checked out Polar's web page and they have
wide range of computers that will let me step into the set of features
and price point that I want. I did find the Garmin Edge 205 on eBay
for $140. I think what I'm going to do is just buy a basic odometer
for $10 from Target and set some mileage/weight goals that I have to
meet to (earn) the higher end computer. That kind of motivation works
for me.

Thanks,
John

On Aug 12, 8:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a recommendation for an inexpensive bike computer
> that will show calories burned? I've found the Garmin 205 and 305
> models on the web, but they are a little expensive for me.
> I'm riding for fitness more than anything else. I frequently change
> up my routes and I would like some consistent relative measure of how
> hard I've worked vs. other rides.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Nashbar HRM does it, but it's separate from a bike computer. I think
it costs around $40.

Jenn