Inexpensive recumbent trike

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Freddie Wall, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Freddie Wall

    Freddie Wall Guest

    The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using the
    Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only trike
    option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    would still strain the wallet.

    Thanks for comments and suggestions.

    Tags:

  2. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Freddie Wall wrote:
    > The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    > when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using
    > the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only trike
    > option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    > would still strain the wallet.
    >
    > Thanks for comments and suggestions.

    Check out 'bentrider online at http://www.bentrideronline.com, and more specifically the "Stop
    the Presses" section, with an ongoing report from Interbike. It appears that Sun will be
    producing a recumbent trike that will sell for around $1,000. It's a tadpole design, as opposed
    to the delta of the EZ-3.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  3. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Build One!

    "Freddie Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    > when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using
    > the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only
    trike
    > option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    > would still strain the wallet.
    >
    > Thanks for comments and suggestions.

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    There is a front drive and front steer recumbent 'trike' that is popular with his age group on our
    beaches here in South Carolina.

    "Freddie Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    > when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using
    > the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only
    trike
    > option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    > would still strain the wallet.
    >
    > Thanks for comments and suggestions.

  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Doug Huffman must be edykated coz e writed:

    Try http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/index.html
    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  7. "Jeff Wills" skrev

    > Try: http://www.trailmate.com/funCycleSeries.cfm

    I'll second that one. We had a few demomodels of a similar type at the danish championships and it
    was quite fun to see all the riders hop on these kids trikes and tear around the parkinglot with a
    big grin on their faces. Kids loved them too.

    Mikael

  8. Iliad

    Iliad Guest

    You didn't mention what your price level was??? "Freddie Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    > when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using
    > the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only
    trike
    > option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    > would still strain the wallet.
    >
    > Thanks for comments and suggestions.

  9. Old Wizard

    Old Wizard Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions. Since my son appears to becoming involved with BMX more so that road
    riding, I think I shall contact the KMX Karts. The other two suggestions, Trailmate and Sun Cycles,
    look good as well. One of the two recumbents we own is the EZ1. I know it is considered a beginner's
    recumbent but we have been pleased with it and the BikeE CT.

    Once again, thanks to all for such quick responses.

    Mikael Seierup <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff Wills" skrev
    >
    > > Try: http://www.trailmate.com/funCycleSeries.cfm
    >
    > I'll second that one. We had a few demomodels of a similar type at the danish championships and it
    > was quite fun to see all the riders hop on these kids trikes and tear around the parkinglot with a
    > big grin on their faces. Kids loved them too.
    >
    > Mikael

  10. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    There's also the Tricruiser: http://www.americruiser.com/ The original model, at $799, has (in my
    opinion) an inadequate brake. However, there is now an option for front disks, which would remove
    that objection. Perhaps it's not really suitable for a kid, I don't know, but it is the least
    expensive full-sized tadpole trike that I am aware of (kmx carts seem built for kids).

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

    Freddie Wall wrote:

    > The subject line might be somewhat inaccurate. My son, age 12, has seen several recumbent trikes
    > when we happened to ride with other recumbent riders. Unfortunately, my search, primarily using
    > the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only trike
    > option at what I consider entry level price? I've checked various sites for used trikes and they
    > would still strain the wallet.
    >
    > Thanks for comments and suggestions.

  11. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > my search, primarily using the Internet, has not produced one that is within my budget. Is the
    > EZ-3 just about the only trike option at what I consider entry level price?

    This is a discussion, not a recomendation!!!

    Look at http://www.americruiser.com/

    $799. Tadpole trike. This is a garage-built-by-one-man machine, from square aluminum tubing. It is a
    kick to ride. Cheap components. The spindle yoke (?) setup is so thin it bends, purdy soon your
    tires at a weird camber. I had a child on the trike with me, prolly about 250 lbs total. I was
    fooling around in the street with it and turned too sharp. It went up on two tires, and that bent
    the steering part. I have yet to see a picture of one of these that doesn't look like the steering
    part is bent. But maybe that is unfair, cuz I don't know fer sure whut its 'sposed to look like.
    There is no feedback from the steering stick and it is easy to dial in too much turn. At speed
    (15mph) the tiniest inputs which are unavoidable cause you to wander back and forth on the road,
    maybe a foot or two. My bro bought one of these and had a machinist build a stronger part there. He
    hasn't ridden it yet with the new parts. It comes with mtn bike components, and 16-20" wheels,
    (whichever, I don't recall) low-pressure Kmart knobby tires. You can't adjust the seat anywhere near
    as far back as I would want. There is only one brake, on the rear. It is either for the
    suicide-prone or is some kinda joke I didn't get. Oh, the brake is fine, its just that the trike is
    so tall that the weight shift is so pronounced that the rear tire just skids.

    Pluses: It is fun and cheap. Looks cheap to buy (or build) parts for. It looks like a tinkerer's
    dream since nothing is welded. It is made from easy-to-buy aluminum tubing and bolted together. One
    could change it around radically, just for fun, you could change some frame members to get the seat
    to recline. I think that it may be fairly reliable once the steering is fixed which isn't a big deal
    to a tinkerer.

    I'd love to have about six of these and a dirt oval, and invite my friends over for the heat races.

    Oh, and get all the owner/salesman's promises on paper.