Inexpensive Wheels

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
I currently have 36 spoke wheels on my $340 road bike I have about 10,000 miles on them. I would like to get new wheels I would prefer a 32 spoker for the rear and a 28 spoker for the front for less than the price of the bike. Is this possible? Thanks

wiredued said:
I currently have 36 spoke wheels on my $340 road bike I have about 10,000 miles on them. I would like to get new wheels I would prefer a 32 spoker for the rear and a 28 spoker for the front for less than the price of the bike. Is this possible? Thanks
Yes. You will need to make choices of brands, rims, hubs, spokes, color, etc. But you will have many choices in that price range.
What do you hope to gain in the change?

wow that is impressive to have 10,000km done on a $340(USD??) bike!

I dare say there would be a large improvement in weight and hub quality replacing the wheels. But watch out for drive train compatitiblity. How many gears in your cassette? Current hubs are 8,9,10 speed compatible aren't they?? If you have 7 speed or less on your bike you may have issues finding a suitable upgrade.

wiredued said:

4 spokes weigh about 28 grams(an ounce), so unless you are having reliability problems, I would say no need to spend the $ to save 3 ounces of weight.

wiredued said:

4 spokes weigh about 28 grams(an ounce), so unless you are having reliability problems, I would say no need to spend the $ to save 3 ounces of weight. PLUS fewer spokes often mean heavier rims to retain that reliability. Not worth it IMHO.

wiredued said:
Mavic Open Pro rims on Ultegra hubs.

Not the lightest, not the most aero and not the greatest bling factor but a wheelset that you'll never have to apologize for in any company. Generally $200 to $250 from any of the larger internet houses. Bang for the buck it's a pretty hard combination to beat.

My bike is 8 speed full Shimano Sora drive train w/STI. My estimate of miles was wrong it's more like 6,000 miles. I forgot some indoor riding was done on a different bike the first year or so.

Phill P said:
wow that is impressive to have 10,000km done on a $340(USD??) bike!

I dare say there would be a large improvement in weight and hub quality replacing the wheels. But watch out for drive train compatitiblity. How many gears in your cassette? Current hubs are 8,9,10 speed compatible aren't they?? If you have 7 speed or less on your bike you may have issues finding a suitable upgrade.

Improved acceleration for the occasional club or cat 5 race.

daveornee said:
Yes. You will need to make choices of brands, rims, hubs, spokes, color, etc. But you will have many choices in that price range.
What do you hope to gain in the change?

wiredued said:
Its debatable whether or not you will actually feel a difference in acceleration with wheels in that price range. If anything, you will just have a smoother and longer coasting wheel set, which will save you a little bit of energy over something that does not spin as well.

My rear wheel is not in the best of shape right now it has nicks from belts of roofing nails and other things I've run over so I was planning to upgrade a bit when I get a new wheel. I'm 89kg so I figure 32 spokes because I need something strong on the rear wheel then if I do that there is no way I would want a miss matched wheel on the front with more spokes than the rear so I would upgrade that to a 28 spoke wheel. However it seems like buying a set at a decent price requires you to get an equal number of spokes on each which isn't necessary because the front wheel takes less abuse and isn't dished. So after reading some replies here I would probably be looking for a Mavic Open pro 32/28 set but I can't seem to find them sold that way. I am not expecting to accelerate like a pro with them but I don't want the heaviest wheels on the planet when I'm trying to accelerate either.

ToffoIsMe said:
Its debatable whether or not you will actually feel a difference in acceleration with wheels in that price range. If anything, you will just have a smoother and longer coasting wheel set, which will save you a little bit of energy over something that does not spin as well.

ToffoIsMe said:

It's debatable whether anyone can feel any acceleration difference resulting from difference in moments of inertia of different wheels.

wiredued said:
number of spokes on each which isn't necessary because the front wheel takes less abuse and isn't dished. So after reading some replies here I would probably be looking for a Mavic Open pro 32/28 set but I can't seem to find them sold that way.
Now is a good time for you to learn the fine art of wheelbuilding;) . OR, you could get buy hubs and rims and let your LBS make up a special set of wheels for you.

YAY 6000miles equals 10,000km.

Can you give us the part names/brands of what is currently on your bike? I tihnk everybody is assuming the wheels are of decent quality parts already. I'm betting they are straight gauge thick spokes, heavy rims, and chucky hubs.

Going to some hand built would be a great upgrade that you will not regrete.

Just for toying around you can use Excelsports to look at a custom wheel build. They have a nice variety of components.

I used Excel Sports this past fall to rebuild my rear DT Swiss wheel when it was damaged in a crash and their service and delivery was pretty good.

Hey $342 for a custom DT set thats a good deal. Thanks for the link.

Felt_Rider said:
Just for toying around you can use Excelsports to look at a custom wheel build. They have a nice variety of components.

I used Excel Sports this past fall to rebuild my rear DT Swiss wheel when it was damaged in a crash and their service and delivery was pretty good.

wiredued said:

Acceleration of a bicycle is the mass of the bike and rider. Saving a 100-150 grams or so won't be noticable. Where the weight is is almost too small to measure..as in heavy rim, light rim.

wiredued said:
Hey $342 for a custom DT set thats a good deal. Thanks for the link.
I have used the DT wheelset for the past two years and while they may not be the absolute lightest they have been dependable (except for my 40mph crash descending off a mountain :D :( ).

I could have made them lighter by using a lower spoke count, but I have a 32 rear count, 28 front count, 3X laced, DT R1.1 rims, DT 240 hubs and DT Revolution spokes.

I just noticed the hub choice said 10 speed so I will have to search for 8 speed but it was an easy site to use to get a ball park figure.... Crashing at 40mph you must have crapped your pants.:)

Felt_Rider said:
I have used the DT wheelset for the past two years and while they may not be the absolute lightest they have been dependable (except for my 40mph crash descending off a mountain :D :( ).

I could have made them lighter by using a lower spoke count, but I have a 32 rear count, 28 front count, 3X laced, DT R1.1 rims, DT 240 hubs and DT Revolution spokes.

wiredued said:
I just noticed the hub choice said 10 speed so I will have to search for 8 speed but it was an easy site to use to get a ball park figure.... Crashing at 40mph you must have crapped your pants.:)
I wish I had just crapped my pants.:)
About $600 in equipment and clothing damage, just about full body road rash and the last thing left to heal is a separated shoulder. Could have been much worse so I feel very blessed.