Infections from air pollution?

rwinthenorth

Aug 27, 2006
When it warms above 10 around here, I'll probably think about my outdoor training again. Here's my question: Has anyone ever gotten a lung infection from air pollutions in your area? My areas to train in run the gammut of factories, plastics co., to wooded trails, etc... I am trying to trace the causes of now two infections that onset in the fall. I'm down to 2 causes: 1.Office mold & bacteria from a persistant leak in the roof of our office where the hvac system is located, but an intial test is negitive or 2. Air born contaminants when I train on these bike paths. Just curious if anyone else has run into this before as it really puts a damper on my cycling stamina. Thanks for any thoughts.

I often wonder if it's not airborne contaminants from things like the fine mist cars kick up in wet weather (roadkill soup), combined with the decrease in resistance caused by breathing all that cold air.

Simply breathing the very cold air can cause an infection by irritating the airways and sinuses, trapping fluids in the affected tissues.

Red tomato skins and red apples skins can help protect the lungs. Vitamin D in fall and winter can help rein in your immune system so it doesn't over shoot creating to much mucus that's how people die from the flu they drown in their own mucus.

frenchyge said:
Simply breathing the very cold air can cause an infection by irritating the airways and sinuses, trapping fluids in the affected tissues.
Yeah, if only I knew that sooner. I've been training 5 days a week since December, and missed probably 5-6 weeks now (not in a row) because of that f***ing cold air. Everytime it warmed up and I went out for a good ride, I'd get sick. Every single time. It really peeves me because indoor training is just incredibly boring, and less comfortable than riding my own saddle. (I'm on a stationary bike) but when it does warm up and I go, within 24 hours I would feel something coming on. Last time it was a very deep cough. I rarely coughed, but when I woke up in the morning I could feel all this fluid and **** in my lungs. It was disgusting. Needless to say, I can't wait until spring, and the possibility of moving somewhere with a habitable climate.

K50 said:
Yeah, if only I knew that sooner. I've been training 5 days a week since December, and missed probably 5-6 weeks now (not in a row) because of that f***ing cold air. Everytime it warmed up and I went out for a good ride, I'd get sick. Every single time. It really peeves me because indoor training is just incredibly boring, and less comfortable than riding my own saddle. (I'm on a stationary bike) but when it does warm up and I go, within 24 hours I would feel something coming on. Last time it was a very deep cough. I rarely coughed, but when I woke up in the morning I could feel all this fluid and **** in my lungs. It was disgusting. Needless to say, I can't wait until spring, and the possibility of moving somewhere with a habitable climate.

My life in a nutshell. :( At least I know I'm not the only one out there going through this.
This said, does any one know if simply keeping a balaclava or face warmer over my mouth and nose would be helpful?

Filtering and warming the air definitely helps. I always have a scarf or balaclava over the mouth and nose and aside from having to snot rocket every once in a while,I ride in cold weather with no problems.

Cold, dry, HEPA-filtered air may be enough to cause problems all by itself but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to filter out bacteria-laden, irritation-causing particulates. I personally feel cold air infections come from a combination of the cold and dryness reducing your resistance, working in concert with all the **** you're breathing in.

I have a purpose-built heat exchanger face mask for when it's really cold, but it looks a bit odd so it's best reserved for when it's 10F or colder. It works well in providing very warm, moist air and doesn't restrict breathing hardly at all.

Cold air never has and never will cause anyone to get an infection and become sick. It's a very well known medical myth.

Air pollutants can cause lung irritation and infection, but most people who get the common cold do so after contact with another person who has an active viral or bacterial infection.

Scotty_Dog said:
Cold air never has and never will cause anyone to get an infection and become sick. It's a very well known medical myth.

Air pollutants can cause lung irritation and infection, but most people who get the common cold do so after contact with another person who has an active viral or bacterial infection.

I don't know. My lung infections were biopsed and determined bacterial. When I asked my pulmiologist what the causes were he said, "Not really sure." :eek: Viral infections, you are correct. Quite a few physicians have told me bacterial infections are difficult to trace, but not transmitted from person to person. Also if this was the case my family would always be sick with me, but not a single one of them has ever had this. (They also don'y cycle with me)

Scotty_Dog said:
Sure, if you lived in a bubble. However, since bacteria are everywhere, cold and dryness on the sinuses, throat, and lungs can result in illness. It's like saying falls from high places don't kill people, it's a well known myth. It's the sudden stop at the bottom.

rwinthenorth said:
My life in a nutshell. :( At least I know I'm not the only one out there going through this.
This said, does any one know if simply keeping a balaclava or face warmer over my mouth and nose would be helpful?
Yes! that helps alot!
But you're in Ohio? man, right now it's -6 farenheit you should see what it's like! Up in Canada...sometimes, it really does live up to the myths that some Americans have... It's often very very dry here, and the cold air doesn't help. Check out the 'current' conditions. As you will note though, on Thursday, it will 'warm up' again to an almost decent level. (I'll be out there for sure). Notice the huge weather change in only 48 hours? Yeah...that's Calgary. It's crazy here. Mother Nature is Bi-polar here...

The first picture is of a day when it got to -40C that night (-40F also). That was f***ing cold. I don't know why I live here other than being close to the mountains and the really attractive girls...meh on second thought those are good enough reasons to stay lol.