Inflating Nitrogen into Tires

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:00:27 -0800 (PST), [email protected] may
have said:

>it is true, it is more stable, but there is a drawback
>it does not heat up, so the tire is colder, last longer, but does not
>grip as much.

How do you figure that? Air is already close to 80% nitrogen, and the
heat absorption and conduction properties of air and pure N2 vary by
only a trivial amount.

Fredhatrack wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:34:26 -0600, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Werehatrack wrote:
>>> Presta valves are used on bicycles because they're skinner and can fit
>>> through a smaller hole, allowing the rim to be narrower in that area.
>>> Any other reason is secondary. You knew that.
>>>

>> butbutbut, only Freds use Schrader valves on bicycles!

> Particularly on the shocks, right?

Would Fabrizio Mazzoleni ride a bicycle with an air shock, I ask you?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Nov 25, 7:46 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> It's not just the physical size of the molecules that matters. CO2,
> which has 3 atoms versus 2 in a molecule of nitrogen (again, these are
> different things, guys) is larger, but leaks out faster than air, which
> is mostly nitrogen.

True, the CO2 tends to temporarily react with the rubber molecules and
then diffuse through the tube or tire to reach the outside surface.
To a lesser extent, O2 will also diffuse through in a similar fashion
and will do so significantly faster than N2 although both molecules
are about the same size. So a tire filled with dry air (21% O2, 78%
N2, 1% Ar etc.) will lose pressure slightly faster than one filled
with only N2.

> > Supposedly, even race car tires use this gas because of its higher
> > consistency than normal air pressure, over varying tire and track
> > temperatures.----Unlike compressed air, nitrogen does not introduce
> > water as a vapor into the tire. It's WATER that makes compressed air
> > LESS consistent.

> Bunk. There is actually very little water in air, and probably much
> more already on the inside surface of the tire before you inflate it.

The amount on a hot, humid day can be significant and one presumes
that the race car team that cares about such effects can also make
sure the tire starts out dry inside before they inflate it. The
greatest inconsistency in pressure will occur if a tire is inflated
with hot humid air and later the temperature drops so some of the
water vapor condenses out and forms water droplets inside the tire.
The pressure then drops more than normal since there are fewer gas
molecules inside the tire. If the team now tops up the pressure to
the normal value it may end up overinflated during the race when the
tire heats up and the condensed water again becomes vapor.

But the effect is pretty small and I'm not going to start paying
anyone to put dry nitrogen in either my car or bike tires.

"peter" (clip) The
> greatest inconsistency in pressure will occur if a tire is inflated
> with hot humid air and later the temperature drops so some of the
> water vapor condenses out and forms water droplets inside the tire. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The reason they have drain valves on air compressor tanks is that the
process of compressing and storing the air causes water to condense. That
means that the air being delivered to the tire will not be saturated with
water vapor. Then, when the car goes out on the track, the temperature goes
*UP*, which further lowers the relative humidity. I don't see any way that
water is going to condense out inside a racing tire, except, maybe on a cold
night when the car is parked.

On Nov 27, 6:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "peter" (clip) The> greatest inconsistency in pressure will occur if a tire is inflated
> > with hot humid air and later the temperature drops so some of the
> > water vapor condenses out and forms water droplets inside the tire. (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The reason they have drain valves on air compressor tanks is that the
> process of compressing and storing the air causes water to condense. That
> means that the air being delivered to the tire will not be saturated with
> water vapor. Then, when the car goes out on the track, the temperature goes
> *UP*, which further lowers the relative humidity. I don't see any way that
> water is going to condense out inside a racing tire, except, maybe on a cold
> night when the car is parked.

I agree. But after that cold night (early morning is usually the
coldest time) the car is checked by the crew and the tires (with the
condensed water inside) are topped off to the normal 'cold' pressure.
Then when the car is run for awhile the tires heat up, the condensed
water inside vaporizes, and the tires are at a higher pressure when
hot than the crew anticipated.
I wouldn't expect this to be a big effect, but for a race car the
extra cost of using completely dry nitrogen is negligible so why not
be assured that the pressure is exactly what you'd want? OTOH, I'm
sure not going to bother using anything but free air for either my
bikes or cars.

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> Is there any truth to the fact that in early the early Tours, racers
> inflated tires with CO2.
>
> Supposedly, even race car tires use this gas because of its higher
> consistency than normal air pressure, over varying tire and track
> temperatures. Is this possible in the realm of bicycle tires, since I
> think due to such higher pressures, leakage is elevated? Yet I deem
> the benefits could be minutely small.
>
> And how does the temperature of the air sitting in the tire vary? I'd
> like to see some references to this because some doofus on a bike
> forum thinks air temperature is roughly constant in the long high
> speed descent. That surely can't be possible because of rim heating,
> no?

Nitrogen is used in automobile tires by the world's largest retailer of
tires, at no extra cost.

It has two major advantages over plain air. First, it leaks out through
the rubber much more slowly. Second it doesn't change volume as much due
to temperature. For automobile tires these are significant advantages,
and the retailer believes that using nitrogen will reduce warranty
repairs and replacements, since so few people bother to periodically
check their tire pressure and add air.

See "http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200410/?pg=17"

I don't think it's worth filling your bicycle tires with nitrogen. The
expansion due to heat is small, and you'll probably have enough
punctures that it'll be impractical to keep going to get them refilled
(not to mention expensive).

"SMS 斯蒂文• 夏" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It has two major advantages over plain air. ...
> Second it doesn't change volume as much due to temperature.

How much do you know your gas laws?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:03:12 -0800, SMS ???• ?
<[email protected]> may have said:

>The automobile wheel and tire is very different than the bicycle wheel
>and tire. There is no tube used on automobile tires, the wheel is
>usually made of steel rather than aluminum, the pressure is much lower,
>and the volume is much higher.

While steel is still the most common material, aluminum is gaining
ground due to weight considerations. This is not always to the
consumer's benefit. Automotive experience is that properly
manufactured aluminum wheels are no more susceptible to leakage than
welded steel; the gas mixture issue there is irrelevant. As for
pressure stability, those of us who do a lot of highway driving can
tell you that temperature-driven pressure fluctuations in properly
air-inflated tires are tiny indeed. In a memorable instance, I
started the driving day at 46F in Flagstaff, AZ with 32psi in the
tires of my Taurus, and later that day at near 100F in Bakersfield,
CA, they were at just under 34psi. That is not enough change to
matter. Those tires had never seen a nitrogen fill in their service
life. Although the fluctuation range would be greater if significant
water was present in the tire, most compressors are equipped with a
moisture trap to reduce this, and here in humid Houston it is not
common to find any significant liquid water inside a freshly demounted
*cold* tire. (I could not have said that 25 years ago, when too many
gas stations had a "free air" hose that was connected to a compressor
whose water drain had last been opened during the Korean War.)

>If the question is "is there an advantage to using nitrogen in bicycle
>tires?" then the answer is no.

100% correct.

>For automobile tires, there are
>advantages, though if you're someone that routinely checks your tire
>pressure then the advantage is minimal.

In point of fact, for the ordinary automotive user overall, the
advantage is nil. For the tire store that wants to ensure that the
customers come back regularly, although there might *appear* to be an
advantage in promoting the N2 fill, the reality is that actively
touting it will cause drivers to avoid checking the pressure and
inflating to spec until they are where they can get the boutique gas,
instead of checking it regularly and filling from any available
compressed air source. One local tire store manager already has run
into this mentality in customers quite a number of times. Any barrier
that is placed between the customer and proper maintenance will cause
the maintenance to be neglected, period.

>Since Costco has the lowest tire prices by far,

Not around here.

>with the lowest charge
>for balancing, no charge for valves, and no charge for road hazard
>warranty, it's probably the the cost of them including nitrogen
>inflation at no extra charge must not be very high.

It's not high, but it's pure fluff from a reality-check standpoint.
The customers will derive no measurable benefit from it.

>Also, it reduces
>warranty expenses from customers that don't maintain proper inflation.

How? It does not change the inflation loss rate to any measurable
extent. This is based on trucking industry experience at the
maintenance shop level, where several large fleet users tracked their
results and found zero difference in pressure drop rates after
swapping to an N2 fill, both for their large and small units. What
they did note was that underinflated tires no longer exploded when
they got overheated in use; they had less dramatic failure modes with
N2. It should be noted that the policy of the fleet shops where I
still have a contact remains "keep the pressure at spec by any means
available; if you top up a tire with air, note it in the log; if it
drops significantly on a single run or day, flag it when you hit the
terminal." They regard keeping the tire *inflated at all* to be more
important than what it is inflated with.

>Since unlike most tire stores, Costco actually does honor the
>manufacturer's tire warranties, they have a vested interest in reducing
>warranty claims.

You have poor tire stores in your area. I have had no problem getting
manufacturer warranties honored here in the few instances in which an
actual warrantable defect was involved. Outside of Firestone tires,
however, I can't recall a warrantable failure from among my own
vehicles in at least ten years. I've had them on other people's
vehicles, twice in that time. (One was a sidewall bubble that formed
within a week after the tire was installed, and another was a slow
leak due to a malformed bead that should have been caught and rejected
at any of several points along the way.) Nearly all in-service
automotive tire failures are related to either underinflation,
overloading, misalignment, or road hazard, and virtually all of these
display specific identifiable failure modes that identify the cause.
I will note, BTW, that Costco honors the warranty only for the tire
brands it sells, just like any other tire store. To the customer,
Costco's in-house road hazard policy makes the warranty issue hard to
identify as a separable thing; the tire gets replaced, and it's up to
Costco to decide if they file a claim with the manufacturer or not.
If, as a means of building business, they are "honoring" the
"warranty" on a tire not purchased from them that has failed due to a
non-warranty cause, that's a PR move. It will bite them in the long
run, as the manufacturers will send reps around to educate their
personnel in what is and isn't a genuine defect-related failure if
they have an overly large warranty claim rate..and if, as would
doubtless be the case, an inspection of the removed tires reveals that
they were largely not warrantable-issue failures. I doubt that they
will encounter this, however, as I have never seen them actively
advertise for failures to be brought to them, and most people will
take a failure back to the store where they got it. If that's NTB,
good luck to the tire's owner. If it's Discount Tire (which isn't in
a lot of states), they'll probably still be a customer the next time
they need tires.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:17:23 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>"SMS ???• ?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> It has two major advantages over plain air. ...
>> Second it doesn't change volume as much due to temperature.

>How much do you know your gas laws?

I think the answer is obvious. I'd have given him a little leeway on
this if it wasn't for the fact that my own direct experience says he
has neither checked the theory nor the real-world results.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:01:43 -0800 (PST), datakoll
<[email protected]> may have said:

>unnnngh
>
>http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272166.htm...

That link didn't work for me.

It matters not; IME, Popular Mechanics = ********.

I used to have more respect for them, but they have been so dead wrong
so many times that I won't even pick up that rag while I'm waiting to
get my hair cut. (The advice in the repair segment of the AutoWeek
show on PBS is seldom better.) For a good belly laugh, consult their
back issues from 15 to 20 years ago to see what they thought the Next
Big Thing was going to be at any given time. They've bitten on so
many snake oil salesmen's lines that their credibility is zip with me.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:18:24 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It matters not; IME, Popular Mechanics = ********.

And it's been that way for many years. I always considered it the
Redneck version of Popular Science.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

> Nitrogen is used in automobile tires by the world's largest retailer of
> tires, at no extra cost.
>
> It has two major advantages over plain air. First, it leaks out through
> the rubber much more slowly.

No, it can't do that. As you should have read, air is mostly nitrogen.
So 80% of the air leaks out through the rubber exactly the same way
that nitrogen does. CO2 does leak out more readily, but little of air
is actually CO2. I don't know how the permeability of O2 compares with
N2 through the rubber, but it can't be that much different.

> Second it doesn't change volume as much due
> to temperature.

Wrong again. For one thing, again, air is mostly nitrogen. For
another, any gas changes pressure according the exactly the same law.
The volume would not change, by the way, unless the tire expanded like a
balloon -- and the casing actually is designed to prevent that.

You do realize, don't you, that this nitrogen for passenger car tires
thing is an ad gimmick? And it worked. You just spread their ad over
the internet.

--

David L. Johnson

"Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence,
were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of
water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
--Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

In article
<[email protected].
net>,
"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "peter" (clip) The
> > greatest inconsistency in pressure will occur if a tire is inflated
> > with hot humid air and later the temperature drops so some of the
> > water vapor condenses out and forms water droplets inside the tire. (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The reason they have drain valves on air compressor tanks is that the
> process of compressing and storing the air causes water to condense. That
> means that the air being delivered to the tire will not be saturated with
> water vapor. Then, when the car goes out on the track, the temperature goes
> *UP*, which further lowers the relative humidity. I don't see any way that
> water is going to condense out inside a racing tire, except, maybe on a cold
> night when the car is parked.

Yes, water condenses out of compressed air that is subsequently
cooled. Some tires get dryer air than other tires. Some tires
get an extra heaping jolt of pure water. That is the problem
inflation in racing: unpredictable, inconsistent tire contents
that react differently to temperature changes.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>I don't know how the permeability of O2 compares with
>N2 through the rubber, but it can't be that much different.

[snip]

Dear David,

Er, if you don't know how it compares . . .

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/895552329.Ch.r.html

O2 goes through rubber about 2.4 times as fast as N2, the rates being
23.3 to 9.43

CO2 goes through rubber over 16 times as fast as N2.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I don't know how the permeability of O2 compares with
>> N2 through the rubber, but it can't be that much different.

> [snip]
>
> Dear David,
>
> Er, if you don't know how it compares . . .

I said I didn't

> http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/895552329.Ch.r.html
>
> O2 goes through rubber about 2.4 times as fast as N2, the rates being
> 23.3 to 9.43

OK, but air has only about 20% O2, and that 20% is leaking out faster
than N2, but still at a modest rate

> CO2 goes through rubber over 16 times as fast as N2.

Which sounds impressive, but still we all have filled tires with CO2 and
know that you don't have to worry about it, even with bike tires, for 24
hours. So, filling a bike tire with pure O2 would mean we would have to
worry about low pressure in a week. Now, the difference between pure O2
and air would be 1/5 as much, so we would notice the difference between
an air-filled versus N2-filled tire in a month. Actually, the
difference would take longer to matter, as the mixture in the tire would
be closer to pure N2 as time went on.

--

David L. Johnson

"What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
What are you on?"
--Lance Armstrong

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:48:22 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I don't know how the permeability of O2 compares with
>>> N2 through the rubber, but it can't be that much different.

>> [snip]
>>
>> Dear David,
>>
>> Er, if you don't know how it compares . . .

>I said I didn't
>>
>> http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/895552329.Ch.r.html
>>
>> O2 goes through rubber about 2.4 times as fast as N2, the rates being
>> 23.3 to 9.43

[snip]

Dear David,

Okay, subtle (or unclear) doesn't work, so I'll try again.

Er, if you don't know the permeability rates for O2 and N2 in rubber,
it's probably unwise to claim that they can't be much different.

After all, someone might point out that one rate is 2.4 times greater
than the other rate.

Or even point out that the rates have been repeatedly mentioned on
RBT.

The argument from ignorance is one to avoid.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:54:25 -0700, [email protected] may have
said:

>On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:29:15 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>I don't know how the permeability of O2 compares with
>>N2 through the rubber, but it can't be that much different.

>[snip]
>
>Dear David,
>
>Er, if you don't know how it compares . . .
>
>http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/895552329.Ch.r.html
>
>O2 goes through rubber about 2.4 times as fast as N2, the rates being
>23.3 to 9.43

Note that it specified natural rubber, which hasn't been used as the
liner of a tubeless tire, or as the material of a butyl rubber tube,
for about 50 years. The permeability of butyl rubber is much lower,
which is precisely why it was adopted as the material for the inner
layer of tubeless tires and for inner tubes. (In more modern
automotive tires, even better compounds are now used, for that
matter.)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:05:35 -0700, [email protected] may have
said:

>The argument from ignorance is one to avoid.

There are levels of ignorance... Modern bicycle tubes (with the
exception of latex tubes, the demand for which still amazes me) are
made of butyl rubber, not natural rubber. The overall permeability of
butyl is about 1/20th that of natural rubber. Although oxygen still
will diffuse through it faster than nitrogen, the rates are both much
lower than for natural rubber. Better materials exist which could
reduce the loss to a level that would make the whole discussion
effectively moot, but there is apparently not enough perceived demand
for such an item to make it worthwhile to spend the money developing
and marketing it. Perhaps if bikes become more popular, there might
be.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:45:34 GMT, still just me
<[email protected]> may have said:

>On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:18:24 -0600, Werehatrack
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It matters not; IME, Popular Mechanics = ********.

>And it's been that way for many years. I always considered it the
>Redneck version of Popular Science.

And PopSci...is hard to adequately disparage. It's almost an
expletive all by itself.

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:48:22 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> Dear David,
>
> Okay, subtle (or unclear) doesn't work, so I'll try again.

But unnecessarily sarcastic works just fine.

> Er, if you don't know the permeability rates for O2 and N2 in rubber,
> it's probably unwise to claim that they can't be much different.
>
> After all, someone might point out that one rate is 2.4 times greater
> than the other rate.

But you explained, even so that I could understand, what that difference
meant. Clearly, by saying that that factor was far less than the
difference between air and CO2, then even I, who knows so little, could
figure out that this factor did not mean diddly squat, since after all,
CO2 does stay in the tire for a reasonable length of time. You seem to
have missed the rest of my post, pointing out how those factors that you
so kindly provided could be used to give a clear idea of how little that
difference meant.

> Or even point out that the rates have been repeatedly mentioned on
> RBT.

Gee, how could I have missed that. Thanks for the advice, Carl.

You see, simply saying that the permeability of O2 is 2.4 times as great
as that of N2 does not, actually, explain as much as you seem to think
it does. Let me explain. For example, if drinking coffee triples your
risk of cancer of the left big toe, that would seem scary. But, if the
risk in the general population of cancer of the big toe is 1 in 100
million, then tripling that risk is not a big deal. Got it?

Similarly, since we all know how long it takes air to leak out of a
tire, and if replacing the 20% of that air with nitrogen decreases the
leak-out by a factor of 2.4 --- for that 20%, then the real decrease
over the already slow permeability of air through the tube really is not
so much. It does not turn a matter of days into a matter of months.

But, then, you didn't care about that.

--

David L. Johnson

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries,
and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove
mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]