Inflating presta valves with floor pump

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
My new road bike has come equiped with inner tubes without a thread or ring that holds the valve in place. As a result, I find it difficult to inflate them with my floor pump as the head of the pump just pushes the valve back into the tyre. The threaded versions on my hybrid are fine as the valves are held in place so I can lock the pump onto them.

I've recently purchased some spares with the thread and ring so it's not a long term problem, just wondering if I'm being an idiot and doing something wrong. I'm currently inflating with a hand pump as the head of this pump needs less force to cover the valve.

Sounds like you're doing alright to me. Those little rings can be used over again on your next tubes as long as you hold on to them. In a pinch a zip-tie will also work, all you need is something to keep the pump clamp from pushing the valve down into the tube, but you already figured that out.:)

SpearSlinger1 said:
Sounds like you're doing alright to me. Those little rings can be used over again on your next tubes as long as you hold on to them. In a pinch a zip-tie will also work, all you need is something to keep the pump clamp from pushing the valve down into the tube, but you already figured that out.:)
Phew, though I was going mad! Thanks.

John Picton said:
Phew, though I was going mad! Thanks.
Here's another idea - take a pair of needle nose vice grips, and lightly grab the valve at its base, lock them, and then pump away. But be gentle when you lock them!!!

Robbie