Inflating road tire, on the road - how??

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:29:16 -0500, "Earl Bollinger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A long frame pump like the Zefal, Topeak, etc work good too, but the Topeak
>Turbo Road Morph is better as it has a short air hose on the end to make it

Thanks for the sugestion, too.

jbr

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 03:56:03 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Assuming there's one nearby.

Justa about always, there's one closer than your garage pump ;-)

>The adapter most commonly sold in the US is brass, uses an O-ring to
>seal itself to the shank of the Presta valve, and does not leak in my
>experience. The problem with any such adapter is the extra pair of
>steps it requires; the fitting must be removed prior to inflation in
>order to unscrew the Presta stem nut, and then must be removed again
>afterwards to retighten the nut. This assumes that the adapter is
>stored on the valve, which I find to be the most logical approach.

I'm fine with fitting and refitting the adaptor - if only any of those
I've known would work ... Could I possibly have a problem with a
particular Presta valve/tube??

Since I have diferent tubes in the front and read wheels, I'll try
both one of these days - I normally try with one tyre/valve, and given
the bad result don't even try it on the other wheel ...

Thanks,
jbr

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:59:53 GMT, [email protected] (BigBen)
wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:14:22 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Topeak Mini Morph or Road Morph. I don't have arms of steel and don't plan
>>on acquiring them through pump use.

>OK, so what's your choice for inflating a road tyre, on the road, and
>knowing what pressure you've put in?

The above with gauge. Learn its quirks at home.

Earl Bollinger wrote:

> ditto on the 16g Co2 cartridge and inflator, it inflates to 120psi no
> problem with 700c23 tires. Great for when you are all tire, hot, sweaty and
> don't want to mess with it all.:)
> A long frame pump like the Zefal, Topeak, etc work good too, but the Topeak
> Turbo Road Morph is better as it has a short air hose on the end to make it
> easier to pump up the tire without tearing the valve stem off. You can use
> both hands on the pump then.

I've been using Zefals for 30+ years, never been stranded, also never
tore off a valve stem. If you pump with the wheel off the bike, and pump
into your fist, letting the wheel swing free, it'll never happen. You
have to be a bit more careful when the wheel is mounted.

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:57:46 GMT, [email protected] (BigBen)
wrote:

>On 3 Jun 2006 19:14:04 -0700, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have, on a number of occasions, with great ease pumped up tires to
>>110-120 PSI with my Road Morph. Why worry about adapters, etc. It

>Comes as a surprise to me that a hand pump can do that "easily".
>
>But I'll bear that in mind, if I don't give Presta for Schrader. (The
>pressure gauge seems very insteresting to!)
>
>jbr

There is no reason to switch to Schrader. CO2 cartridges and the
inflator don't take up much room, get an Innovations brand, buy one
that doesn't need thread on cartridges. Cartridges are cheap, when
bought at wallyworld type stores. Buy them in the paint gun dept.

The above will solve #1 and get you going quickly. For #2, as
recommended by many, and me, earlier, get a Topeak Road Morph.

As to the adapters, everyone should carry one for the unexpected,
every LBS I go into has a bowl of the Kool Stop style. Here take a
look: http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#valvestems
If that style leaks, odds are, you are doing something wrong.

Life is Good!
Jeff

BigBen wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:14:22 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Topeak Mini Morph or Road Morph. I don't have arms of steel and
>> don't plan on acquiring them through pump use.

> OK, so what's your choice for inflating a road tyre, on the road, and
> knowing what pressure you've put in?

The Road Morph is the best choice. If you're a really tricky fiend, you can
take the hose (with gauge) off the Road Morph and put it on the Mini Morph,
and now you have a 9-inch long floor pump with a rudimentary pressure gauge
instead of a 13, 14-inch pump with a rudimentary pressure gauge.

--
Phil

"BigBen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:12:43 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Some hand pumps are designed for Presta valve use only. Also, the
>>majority
>>of fellow riders will be carrying pumps set on Presta mode.

> My hand is designed for Presta valve. However, I wonder how many hours
> it would take to bring a road chanber/tube to a pressure close to 100
> psi ...
>
> jbr

Oh, about 0.008hr if the pressure if you're just 'topping up' and your
pressure is already around 70-80psi. If going from 0psi - 100psi it takes
me about 0.034hr, if I'm half asleep, using my Topeak Morph, putting the
bottom on the floor and standing on the hold-down tab so I can use it like a
floor pump.

Cal

Werehatrack wrote:

> Topeak Road Morph. It does the job nicely for me.

I too am now in the market for a mini pump. This one seems to be the
group's fave - or at least those on this thread.

Can anybody comment on the Crank Bros mini pump? I like the Crank brand
because it seems to be a brand with innovative ideas which improve
product. This pump claims to have two modes - fast, low pressure and
slow, high pressure. It seems to make sense to me having those two modes
so I inquire.

I don't wish to carry a full sized pump.

-paul

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:13:12 GMT, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There is no reason to switch to Schrader. CO2 cartridges and the
>inflator don't take up much room, get an Innovations brand, buy one
>that doesn't need thread on cartridges. Cartridges are cheap, when

I think cartridges are a very good idea for inflating, I just never
thought they'd work with Presta valves.
I'll look around.

>As to the adapters, everyone should carry one for the unexpected,
>every LBS I go into has a bowl of the Kool Stop style. Here take a
>look: http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#valvestems
>If that style leaks, odds are, you are doing something wrong.

All the adapters I've seen so far look just about the same, and not
very diferent from the ones you pointed out.
So, I must be doing something wrong - the thing doesn't bring an
instructions manual :)))

Thanks a lot.
jbr

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:29:30 -0600, Paul Cassel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Can anybody comment on the Crank Bros mini pump? I like the Crank brand
>because it seems to be a brand with innovative ideas which improve
>product. This pump claims to have two modes - fast, low pressure and
>slow, high pressure. It seems to make sense to me having those two modes
>so I inquire.

Say again?? How are those 2 pumping modes supposed to work?

jbr

BigBen wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:29:30 -0600, Paul Cassel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Can anybody comment on the Crank Bros mini pump? I like the Crank brand
>> because it seems to be a brand with innovative ideas which improve
>> product. This pump claims to have two modes - fast, low pressure and
>> slow, high pressure. It seems to make sense to me having those two modes
>> so I inquire.

> Say again?? How are those 2 pumping modes supposed to work?

Beats me. Read about it on the Performance site.

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:36:43 GMT, [email protected] (BigBen)
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:13:12 GMT, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>There is no reason to switch to Schrader. CO2 cartridges and the
>>inflator don't take up much room, get an Innovations brand, buy one
>>that doesn't need thread on cartridges. Cartridges are cheap, when

>I think cartridges are a very good idea for inflating, I just never
>thought they'd work with Presta valves.
>I'll look around.

Most modern day pumps and CO2 inflators are designed foremost for
presta use, with Schrader as a secondary consideration. All decent,
modern road bikes use presta valves. Most road rims, and wheels are
drilled for presta.
If anything, most of the pumps and CO2 inflators will work best with
presta.

>>As to the adapters, everyone should carry one for the unexpected,
>>every LBS I go into has a bowl of the Kool Stop style. Here take a
>>look: http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html#valvestems
>>If that style leaks, odds are, you are doing something wrong.

>All the adapters I've seen so far look just about the same, and not
>very diferent from the ones you pointed out.
>So, I must be doing something wrong - the thing doesn't bring an
>instructions manual :)))
>
>Thanks a lot.
>jbr

Joking or not, if you think an instruction manual would be helpful, it
might be best to have your LBS mechanic, demonstrate proper use of the
adapter.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:52:10 GMT, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Joking or not, if you think an instruction manual would be helpful, it
>might be best to have your LBS mechanic, demonstrate proper use of the
>adapter.

Naturally I was joking - partly because I make a living mostly
translating manuals - but I begin to suspect I'm doing something wrong
with these adapters, therefore, will ask at the shop where I buy 1 or
2 (more), for a demonstration of how the thing is used.

jbr

BigBen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Before I leave for a ride, it's pretty easy to use a track pump to get
> all the p.s.i.s I want in my tyres' air chambers.
>
> Now, suppose one of 2 situations:
>
> 1) I have a flat, fix it, and then, how do I get back to pressures of
> at least 100 psi?? Naturally, a small pump can get me going, but I
> doubt it goes anywhere near the 110/120 psi I normally use. Anyway, it
> would just mean I take longer to get back home.
>
> 2) Suppose, however, I'm on a longish jorney, of a few days, heading
> to a meeting point with my family (whose travelling by car). Even if I
> don't have a puncture, what's the alternative to taking the track pump
> along for the ride, and use it every morning to set the pressures
> right??
>
> Are fat, non Presta valve chambers the answer?
>
> I don know, there are several Presta to Schrader adaptors, so
> teoretically I could pump up the tyres at a gas/petrol station.
>
> However, I have yet to experiment one such adaptor that works as
> avertised - all I've tried so far let all the air leak, and I end up
> with less pressure rather than more - and, how much can I expect a gas
> station pump to inflate a tyre? The biggest pressure I've ever put in
> a car tyre is 55 psi, which is rather low for bicycle road tyre ...
>
> Sugestions, please?
>
> TIA,
> jbr

Blackburn FP-1 frame pump put 140 psi into a tubular once without too
much trouble. I used a gauge on it when I got home. I use this pump
on all of the flats on my rides and rides with friends. The tires
usually end up much harder than when they started the ride. Again,
without too much effort since it has a long barrel. It can fairly
quickly be changed from presta to Schraeder if needed.

As for going with Schraeder and using the pumps at gas stations, many
gas stations that serve cars exclusively have their air compressors
limited to 80 psi at the most. Or lower since cars never ever take
more than about 40 psi. SUV and pickup tires designed for trucks may
take up to 60-80 psi. You would need to go to a truck stop that has an
air compressor for semi truck tires to get bicycle inflation pressures
of 120 psi or so.

Quoting BigBen <[email protected]>:
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>Topeak Mini Morph or Road Morph. I don't have arms of steel and don't plan
>>on acquiring them through pump use.

>OK, so what's your choice for inflating a road tyre, on the road, and
>knowing what pressure you've put in?

Knowing how many strokes it takes from inflation at home with a gauge to
hand.
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.

BigBen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Before I leave for a ride, it's pretty easy to use a track pump to get
> all the p.s.i.s I want in my tyres' air chambers.
>
> Now, suppose one of 2 situations:
>
> 1) I have a flat, fix it, and then, how do I get back to pressures of
> at least 100 psi?? Naturally, a small pump can get me going, but I
> doubt it goes anywhere near the 110/120 psi I normally use. Anyway, it
> would just mean I take longer to get back home.
>
> 2) Suppose, however, I'm on a longish journey, of a few days, heading
> to a meeting point with my family (whose travelling by car). Even if I
> don't have a puncture, what's the alternative to taking the track pump
> along for the ride, and use it every morning to set the pressures
> right??
>
> Are fat, non Presta valve chambers the answer?
>
> I don know, there are several Presta to Schrader adaptors, so
> theoretically I could pump up the tyres at a gas/petrol station.
>
> However, I have yet to experiment one such adaptor that works as
> advertise - all I've tried so far let all the air leak, and I end up
> with less pressure rather than more - and, how much can I expect a gas
> station pump to inflate a tyre? The biggest pressure I've ever put in
> a car tyre is 55 psi, which is rather low for bicycle road tyre ...
>
> Suggestions, please?
>
> TIA,
> jbr

I can get to 80 or 90 with my mini pump. If you don't have a gauge,
compare the pressure with the tire that was not repaired. You can get
close enough and you just need to be more careful about RR tracks,
potholes, etc. If you have the ideal size (most people use tires too
skinny for their use) tire for your weight, 70 psi should be fine if
you are a bit more vigilant about road hazards.

On 5 Jun 2006 09:33:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>As for going with Schraeder and using the pumps at gas stations, many
>gas stations that serve cars exclusively have their air compressors
>limited to 80 psi at the most. Or lower since cars never ever take

Good point, thank you.

jbr

On 5 Jun 2006 12:46:22 -0700, "Chris M" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>potholes, etc. If you have the ideal size (most people use tires too
>skinny for their use) tire for your weight, 70 psi should be fine if
>you are a bit more vigilant about road hazards.

How do you estimate tire width respective to body weight??

jbr

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:43:16 GMT, [email protected] (BigBen)
wrote:

>Naturally I was joking - partly because I make a living mostly
>translating manuals - but I begin to suspect I'm doing something wrong
>with these adapters, therefore, will ask at the shop where I buy 1 or
>2 (more), for a demonstration of how the thing is used.

Bought another adapter yesterday.

In one of my tubes, it stars to leak through the bottom of the
adapter, as soon as I start pumping; on the other tube, it immediatlly
starts to leak, through the same place, as soon as I lock the pump
conector on the adapter, and a pin pushes the top of the Presta valve.

I'm going back to the shop, even because I did not even pay for the
adapter yet, as I did not have a 1 euro coin, and the man did not have
change for a 5 euros bill, and tell him the story, and see if he can
make a real life demonstration of the thing working.

I really love this adapters!

jbr