influenza and me, the chronicles

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by roadhouse, Nov 9, 2009.

1. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

so i've had it, the flu i'd guess is what it is by all all descriptions such as i felt as if a freight train ran into my thighs and couldn't walk and had a temp that caused me to be delirious moreso than usual for a few nights, and still feel weak and am coughing up the good junk from my lungs and heavily so my question is is how long before i should start riding again? the first day of coughing, before any fever or real body aches or pains, i went out running and felt really good but then hit a complete wall and have since been sick that same evening and i don't want to overdo it and cause myself to be even further bed ridden. now i know this next part is gonna sound stupid but i went running yesterday, only around the neighborhood and so not for any lengthy amount of time, maybe an hour and in the drizzle, and felt fine but today again i am blurry.

i know the answer is right in front of me, i just thought i'd see what you alls' stories are.

how long before you got back up?

Tags:

2. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i know 10 days is what is recommended to get over the flu but i'm already aching to go and i'm still sick.

3. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I would suggest 8-12 days of rest after having the flu. Your body will need to recoup and build it's immunity levels, have full strength of your lungs without needing to cough or spit up the mucus. the cold air could cause an infection causing you to miss out on more riding. I am not a doctor by any means, but I was sick a lot growing up playing outdoor sports and was always told 8-12 days is best. Hope ya feel better!

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Cold air has nothing to do with infections.

5. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i'll feel better, it's just not going to be easy because there is no way i can wait ten days for another run. i'm thinking one to two max and i'll be back out. i haven't the patience or the sense. ;)

thanks though.

6. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

ok, guess I misunderstood. thought it was the cold air going into the lungs can add to the mucus which is the infection, but like I said before...I'm not a doctor. maybe you are?

7. alienator

The connection between cold and viruses is a long lived wives tale. As far as making an influenza infection worse, that's not the case either as cold weather doesn't put mucous into your lungs. If it did you likely see infections lasting longer in colder climes, but I don't think the data supports that.

8. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

yeah I did a quick little google search and saw that you were correct and I was.........wrong :mad:!

oh well, I'm only 28 so I guess it wont be the last time! :D

9. alienator

I'm a scientist, and in the lab we find out fairly often how wrong we can be. It's usually from finding out we're wrong that we learn the most.

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I don't need a lab to determine that I am wrong. I have a wife.

11. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

that's pretty funny. as was the thought that it'd only take two days for me to get back out. i can still barely walk as i have no energy.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It does sound like you have a heavy cold/flu : obviously the best way to combat it is to avoid picking up the infection in the first place.

That is why I take 1000mg of Vitamin C per day : Vitamin C is the only sure way of preventing colds/flus.
    Vitamin C last approximately 6 hours in your system and therfore has to be replaced on a daily basis at a minimum.

I have suffered terrible colds/flus for the past 6 years but in the past year, after having adopted the daily Vitamin C regime, I have not picked up a single cold.
    If I feel a cold coming on, I take a double Vitamin C dose (2000mgs) on the hour, every hour, until the cold symtoms cease.

If you have got the flu : the only remedy is rest/fluids/bed.
    Try taking liquids which will help sweat the flu out of your system.

If I get the flu it takes 3 - 6 weeks to fully recover.
    5 - 10 days after the flu is gone is recovery - but it takes another month to get me back to where I was.

13. alienator

Absolutely false. This is a reckless statement in the extreme. You are saying that by taking Vitamin C you will reduce your chance of being infected by an influence virus or the common cold to 0%. Please show that facts that support that, because as it stands and according to research reports read, you are either purposely misleading someone, are stating something incorrectly because of poor understanding, or made a statement without considering how that statement read.

Again: your statement says that if a person takes Vitamin C, they are guaranteed to not get any influenza or a cold. Further your statement appears to say that Vitamin C is preferable and has better efficacy than a flu shot.

Please document what doctors or researchers have said that Vitamin C absolutely prevents colds and influenza infections.

I hope that people reading this will realize claims such as this are one of the prime reasons why you should NOT seek medical advice on forums or rely completely on what Google tells you.

14. gman0482

gman0482 Member

I take 1000mg of the C every morning, along with Men's One-A-Day, for at least 4 years now. I still get my usual 1-2 bad colds/flu's per year. I also drink alot of juices that have C in them, but in no way do they stop me from getting sick. If you're talking about remedies, I got some ancient Polish ways that help me through.

Edit: vit C does give minor help to prevent from getting a cold, but I can't imagine stopping it completely.

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Where did I say 0%?

You should re-read my post.

Where in my post was the word guaranteed, posted?
    And where in my post did I mention flu shot?

eh, I'd have to ask my GP's permission to publish his name.

As stated earlier, please show me where I stated that taking Viatmin C will guarantee 0% chance of picking up a cold/flu.

Before trolling alienator, other members here - you need to reread my post.
    I stated that I suffered from regular bouts of cold/flus for 6 years.
    In order to prevent colds/flus, I have taken 1000mg Vitamin C on a daily basis to try to prevent the contraction of colds/flus for the last 14 months.
    It has worked for me.

16. alienator

I'm not trolling. I stated facts. You, however, are stirring the pot by accusing me of trolling, an accusation which you cannot defend. I'm pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement for people who believe too much of what they read on the internet.

Here is what you said.....and this is a quote: "Vitamin C is the only sure way of preventing colds/flus."

Do you need to look up the definition of sure? Nowhere did you say that this only applied to you. It's not even implied by what you said if you're using standard English. Your statement directly implies that Vitamin C prevents flu and the cold in every case. There is no other interpretation possible given your use of the word "sure." Moreover, you now imply that your GP says that Vitamin C prevents the flu and cold every time in general. Are you sure you want to reference him in that way, because, again, nowhere does you statement say or imply that you are only speaking with reference to yourself.

Again. You're statement has no factual value. You should edit your post if you mean to imply or convey something else. There is an edit button in the lower right corner.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Let me remind you what you posted

Absolutely false. This is a reckless statement in the extreme. You are saying that by taking Vitamin C you will reduce your chance of being infected by an influence virus or the common cold to 0%.

Where did I suggest that a persons chances of being infected would be 0%??
    Simple question : show me where I used 0% in my initial post?

Again: your statement says that if a person takes Vitamin C, they are guaranteed to not get any influenza or a cold.
    Further your statement appears to say that Vitamin C is preferable and has better efficacy than a flu shot.

Where did I say that anyone was guaranteed not to get influenza/cold in my initial reply?
    And where did I refer to the flu shot, in my initial reply?

If the assertion that I posted about Vitamin C is absolutely false as you disingenuously suggest, how is it that I have not contracted a cold/flu for the past 14 months?
    You trying to suggest that I am telling lies?

18. alienator

I see you don't understand your use of the word "sure". Do you? Nor do you understand that nowhere did your statement imply or state that it only applied to you. To help you with your problematic use of "sure", here's a definition: "certain or true beyond any doubt." Now, if you can't understand that, I'm sure you can find help to get over it. In your use, "sure" implies a 100% guarantee.

Now, down to your latest statement, that you've been cold and flu free for 14 months proves absolutely nothing, other than you haven't had the flu or cold for the last 14 months. Other people have gone years without the flu before coming down with it. Others have had it, gone years without it, and have caught it again. It seems you also have a problem with basic statistics and what "statistical significance" means. Any doctor that give advice to a third party, based on your 14 month record, should not have a medical license. Any doctor that would say or imply that Vitamin C is a sure way to avoid being infected by a flu or cold virus would be laughed out of any medical conference.

Dance as you wish. Your statements leave no room for alternate interpretation. Again, I encourage you to use or get the admin to help you find the "edit" button.

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Let me remind you what you posted

Absolutely false. This is a reckless statement in the extreme. You are saying that by taking Vitamin C you will reduce your chance of being infected by an influence virus or the common cold to 0%.

Where did I suggest that a persons chances of being infected would be 0%??
    Simple question : show me where I used 0% in my initial post?

Again: your statement says that if a person takes Vitamin C, they are guaranteed to not get any influenza or a cold.
    Further your statement appears to say that Vitamin C is preferable and has better efficacy than a flu shot.

Where did I say that anyone was guaranteed not to get influenza/cold in my initial reply?
    And where did I refer to the flu shot, in my initial reply?

If the assertion that I posted about Vitamin C is absolutely false as you disingenuously suggest, how is it that I have not contracted a cold/flu for the past 14 months?
    You trying to suggest that I am telling lies?

20. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Both of you, please have a look here

Hopefully this will settle things...

Thanks to [​IMG] ...