Info about sites for camping.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jon walker, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Jon walker

    Jon walker Guest

    Hi, we are wondering if we are entitled to camp out overnight on beaches,
    the remote ones of course!

    This is what we read a long while ago.

    Can anyone shed any light on this please?

    Thanks, Jon

    Tags:

  2. GeoffC

    GeoffC Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:56:37 GMT, "Jon walker" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi, we are wondering if we are entitled to camp out overnight on beaches,
    >the remote ones of course!

    No.

    In practice, of course you can. This is our view of it:-

    http://v-g.me.uk/WildCamp/WildCamp.htm

    >This is what we read a long while ago.

    Where, out of interest?

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

  3. Steve Jones

    Steve Jones Guest

    > Hi, we are wondering if we are entitled to camp out overnight on beaches,
    > the remote ones of course!
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    >
    > Thanks, Jon

    Glad to assist - apparently it is inadvisable and prohibited to camp
    overnight below the high tide mark. That bit is owned by HRH and she
    takes a dim view of it. Her Garndmother wasn't amused either!

    Steve

  4. Len

    Len Guest

    > Hi, we are wondering if we are entitled to camp out overnight on beaches,
    > the remote ones of course!
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    >
    > Thanks, Jon

    Remember camping on the shore of Loch Etive on a Mull to Aberdeen walk with
    the family. Busy picking up the last hills of a Munro round.
    We watched the sun go down as we ate our freeze dried reward for the day and
    suddenly realised that the Loch had expanded somewhat and was now very close
    to the tents! Quick look behind confirmed that the high water mark was up
    behind us, then a few anxious moments watching the tide lap at the tent(s)
    entrance before slowly receding away. It was touch and go, but the midges
    persueded us that it was best to sit tight!
    So easy on Etive to forget it was tidal, as the sea seems so far away! Magic
    campsite, far enough away from roads to ensure no bother from anyone.
    (Except the midges of course!)

    The bottom line is you can just about camp anywhere. If thems that don't
    like it, move you on, then move, graciously. Never been moved in over 20 yrs
    of wild stuff. Stuffy gamekeeper with his Dutch(?) Laird up Loch Rannoch way
    thought about it, but my daughter's big smile won the day. (Didn't tell him
    I had only just finished rearranging his deer herd whilst doing the local
    Corbett's though.) My mistake for camping in site of his landrover track.

    In the Etive case, Canute would have been proved infallable!

    Regards

    Len

  5. Jon walker

    Jon walker Guest

    Geoff, Hi ........... can't remember where I read this - it was in a walking
    book about 25 years ago!!

    Thanks, Jon

    news:[email protected]