info about western end of I&M Canal in Illinois

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Res09c5t, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Res09c5t

    Res09c5t Guest

    Hi, We're planning on a ride in a couple of days on the I&M Canal trail starting at the LaSalle-Peru
    end and heading east for 30 miles or so and then returning to the starting point. I've checked the
    websites but haven't found a lot of useful information.

    I have a few questions:
    1) IIRC the starting point is Lock 14. Where is that?

    2) Recommendations of things we need to see along the way.

    3) Places to eat around noon.

    4) Is trail generally in good condition?

    Thanks in advance! Lyle

    Tags:

  2. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: "res09c5t"

    >...the starting point is Lock 14. Where is that?

    Off IL 351 just south of US 6.

    You need some brochures, maps etc. Stop at the Heritage Corridor Visitor's Bureau (looks like it's
    on IL 71 just east of IL 351...only 2/3 miles from start). Or call 800 926-CANAL for the address or
    800 746-0550 (Starved Rock) Also see http://www.nps.gov/ilmi/home.htm , then Choose location/LaSalle

    Sig Chicago

  3. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    res09c5t wrote:
    > We're planning on a ride in a couple of days on the I&M Canal trail starting at the LaSalle-Peru
    > end and heading east for 30 miles or so and then returning to the starting point. I've checked the
    > websites but haven't found a lot of useful information.

    Hey! I'm right in LaSalle. Be sure to stop by the shop! We can help with some of your questions.

    > 1) IIRC the starting point is Lock 14. Where is that?

    In LaSalle. Access to Lock 14 is just south of the downtown off of IL-351 (Joliet Street). You will
    drive over the canal on the way to the parking lot.

    > 2) Recommendations of things we need to see along the way.

    In LaSalle, definitely stop by the Carus-Hegler Mansion. This house, built in the 1870s, is under
    restoration now, but it has never had any changes since built. Even the paint on the walls is
    original! It's a real time capsule. Alwin Carus, over 100 years old and born in the house, still
    lives there. They have tours 5 days a week.

    Split Rock between LaSalle and Utica is pretty neat. I think there is a marker there with the
    story of that spot. Three different rail lines passed through there (one through the tunnel, one
    beside the tunnel, and one crossing diagonally over the tunnel, canal, and rock formation on the
    south side.

    There are a few neat shops in Utica as well as the County Historical Museum. If it is open when you
    go by, stop in.

    In Ottawa, see Washington Park downtown where the first Lincoln-Douglas debate was held. The Reddick
    Mansion and State Appellate Court are right off of the park and are very neat historical buildings.

    > 3) Places to eat around noon.

    Depends on where you will be at noon. Let me know and I can give you some ideas.

    > 4) Is trail generally in good condition?

    Yes, it is crushed stone but in good condition. I regularly ride my road bike on it.

    The Heritage Corridor Visitor's Center is now located at the intersection of US-6 and IL-178 just
    off the Utica exit from I-80. They have lots of information and maps.

    Also, check the "About The Area" page of the Tullio's website for links to information and good
    places to visit in the area.

    Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com