Info needed for Sports Nutrition course-

bvonrod

Aug 26, 2009
Hey all, my name is Brett and I'm currently working on completing a sports nutrition course. One of my assignments is to evaluate an endurance athlete's diet. Anyone willing to share a little of their approach to nutrition, it would be greatly appreciated. Just some basics such as your ratio of Fats/Protein/Carbs during pre or off-season compared to competition months. The total number of calories you aim for per day, the number of meals a day and any supplementation you may use.(from multi-vitamins to protein shakes or Gatorade before training) Thank you all for your time.

Brett

bvonrod said:
Hey all, my name is Brett and I'm currently working on completing a sports nutrition course. One of my assignments is to evaluate an endurance athlete's diet. Anyone willing to share a little of their approach to nutrition, it would be greatly appreciated. Just some basics such as your ratio of Fats/Protein/Carbs during pre or off-season compared to competition months. The total number of calories you aim for per day, the number of meals a day and any supplementation you may use.(from multi-vitamins to protein shakes or Gatorade before training) Thank you all for your time.

Brett

I can't tell you everything I eat because it's a ton. I aim for about 4500-5000 calories a day in all but the spring and winter months. Spring it's closer to 5500, winter it's down to 3500. I only use a multivitamin. Gatorade while actually doing a race because I can't get the calories down fast enough with just food. I don't keep track of fat/carb/protein ratios. It's heavily weighted toward carbs, though.

I'll try to remember what I ate today. I woke up at 9:30a.
10a Breakfast: egg sandwhich w/colby-jack cheese on 2 pieces of wheat bread. 10oz glass of milk.
11a Snack: 1 large slice of homemade honey-wheat bread. ~150cal
12p Lunch: Bowl of gnocchi pasta in mushroom sauce (from Target), 4oz of chicken with orange-honey glaze. Glass of V8 splash juice.
During ride: 3 organic pop-tarts from costco (200Cal each)
Post ride: 10oz glass of milk with 2T chocolate powder. 2 slices of cinnamon bread.
Dinner: Doing a cook-your-own-steak at a restaurant. Will probably go with mashed potatoes and a side of veggies. Since it's for my gf's work, I'll probably have at least 3-4 drinks.

I only burned some 2000 calories on the bike today, so I will be shooting for ~4500 at the end of the day. Will probably end up with ~5000 if I have more than a single drink of alcohol.

iliveonnitro said:
I can't tell you everything I eat because it's a ton. I aim for about 4500-5000 calories a day in all but the spring and winter months. Spring it's closer to 5500, winter it's down to 3500. I only use a multivitamin. Gatorade while actually doing a race because I can't get the calories down fast enough with just food. I don't keep track of fat/carb/protein ratios. It's heavily weighted toward carbs, though.

I'll try to remember what I ate today. I woke up at 9:30a.
10a Breakfast: egg sandwhich w/colby-jack cheese on 2 pieces of wheat bread. 10oz glass of milk.
11a Snack: 1 large slice of homemade honey-wheat bread. ~150cal
12p Lunch: Bowl of gnocchi pasta in mushroom sauce (from Target), 4oz of chicken with orange-honey glaze. Glass of V8 splash juice.
During ride: 3 organic pop-tarts from costco (200Cal each)
Post ride: 10oz glass of milk with 2T chocolate powder. 2 slices of cinnamon bread.
Dinner: Doing a cook-your-own-steak at a restaurant. Will probably go with mashed potatoes and a side of veggies. Since it's for my gf's work, I'll probably have at least 3-4 drinks.

I only burned some 2000 calories on the bike today, so I will be shooting for ~4500 at the end of the day. Will probably end up with ~5000 if I have more than a single drink of alcohol.

Excellent man, thanks for the help I appreciate the input!!

For dinner I had:
~6oz of steak, side house salad, 4 mixed drinks and 1/2 beer

I hope that helps. That's all I remember :-/

Typical day
1 liter of water
1 egg fried in tallow or lard, 1/4 of a cantaloupe, 12 ozs. of strong black coffee

M,W,F- lift weights (Olympic lifting and powerlifting)

T,Th,Sat- Mtn. Bike

5 whole eggs fried as above, avocado, orange, berries, grapes

1.25 lbs. of meat or salmon, 8ozs. veggies, tree nuts

M,W- bike

Tues, Thur- Hike w/dogs

1.25-1.5 lbs. of meat or fish, 8ozs. of veggies, tree nuts

Generally 40-60% of my calories comes from protein, no less than 30% from fat, carbs can run from 30% down to 10%

I consume no grains, legumes, starches, dairy, nightshades, salt, sugar or alcohol.

On days I don't eat fish I take fish oil capsules 4,000mg.

I drink water all day. After morning coffee I drink only water

Let me tell you about a great new product that offers rapidly-dissolving nutrients for the athletes - proper diet may not be all you need when performance is an issue. I am a cyclist who has recently started using some performance-enhancing nutrient strips and they have vastly improved my workout/ride. They dissolve in your mouth, so I load up with the “electrolyte” strip beforehand and I have greatly improved oxygen capacity; tons more endurance and feel very energetic at the end of a ride. These strips are sugar free and rapid acting. They will reduce lactic acid build up and prevent cramping. Professional teams (NFL, etc.) are actually using these strips and supplanting the need for IV fluids in some cases.
Check it out and let me know if you have any questions:
www.enlyten.com/kathyyuill
Thanks
Kathy