Info on a Miyata Long Flamingo giraffe

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by billham, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. billham

    billham Guest

    I have a group of unicyclists that I am meeting with once a week in a
    church multi-purpose room. To keep the church informed of what we are
    doing and to create a little uni PR, I wrote a short article for the
    December church newsletter. A few days after the newsletter came out, I
    got a call from a church member who wanted to donate a like new, "big"
    unicycle to the group. This person used to own a bike shop and had sold
    a few unis. He still had this one in the basement. When I went to pick
    it up, I found out it was a Miyata Long Flamingo, 5 foot giraffe! :D
    Boy was I surprised and excited! This unicycle is in prime condition
    and has hardly been used. It still has the extra pieces of rubber from
    the tire production on the center ridge of the tire.

    Along with the giraffe I was given a copy of "Anyone Can ride A
    Unicycle" by Jack Halpern. It's an IUF booklet, copyright 1988,
    published by Miyata Industry Co. It's a fun read once you get past
    seeing all those guys in those short gym shorts! Just like the ones I
    used to wear. And yes, I even had the high top socks with the matching
    stripes. :eek: Reading this booklet was a little like looking at the ol'
    college yearbook. Back to the subject of this thread....

    Info on the uni:
    Miyata Long Flamingo with blue paint
    Miyata Flamingo whitewall tire, 20 X 1.75, by Shinko Rubber Ind, Co,
    LTD
    Rim is marked 20 X 1.75HE Stainless (I assume it's stainless steel)
    Hub is marked S.I.W. and is a 28 hole hub
    Miyata seat, blue

    The person who donated this uni does not recall much about it and I am
    looking for some info/history on it.

    1. I see that Miyata's giraffe is now called the Skycycle. When did
    Miyata start making the Skycycle and when was the Long Flamingo last
    produced?

    2. What was it sold for when new?

    3. What is the value of it now? Does it have any value as a collector's
    item?

    4. Does it use a standard tire? (Unlike the old Schwinns)

    5. Does the serial number on the uni (1091) tell when it was made?

    6. Any other interesting history on this model?

    Thanks

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Really close to starting a local unicycle club!
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  2. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Wow! What a find.

    I'll beat Harper to the punch and say "Pictures please?".

    Is it old enough to have the old style Miyata saddle with no front
    handle? The old saddles also have a slightly different shape than the
    current Miyata saddle.

    It may also have the weird tire valve that is common in Japan. It's not
    a Schrader or Presta valve that are common over here. If it has the
    Japanese valve you'll want to replace the tube with a normal tube that
    has a Schrader valve.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  3. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    I hadn't heard the term "Long Flamingo" before, but we bought what was
    labeled as a "5' Miyata Skycycle" from Unicycle.com just a year ago, and
    when it arrived the graphics on the frame said "Flamingo". It's the one
    pictured at the link below, and if you look close, you can see the
    "Flamingo" graphic on the front of the seatpost tube.
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=87

    So it sounds like they're still using the term, even though it sounds
    like you came across a vintage donation. I'm curious as to how much the
    design has changed from the newer model in the above link.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  4. billham

    billham Guest

    JC - The tube has a Schrader valve. Yes, the seat is without handle.

    Tom - Looks very similar except I believe yours has an alloy rim instead
    of the stainless steel. How many spokes on yours?

    One thing I noticed as unique on the cranks was they had a rough finish
    on all of the cranks except for a polished flat surface on the portion
    closest to the ankle.

    What was I thinking... no pics? Shame on me. Try these....
    http://tinyurl.com/4kty8

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Really close to starting a local unicycle club!
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  5. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *What was I thinking... no pics? Shame on me. Try these....
    > [*

    You have yourself a sweet giraffe there. Not sure I've ever seen one of
    those old-style Miyata seats without the front handle.

    The only thing I haven't liked about my son's (since I get to ride it
    too) is that the cranks feel just a bit too short. I may try increasing
    by 10 or 20 in length to see what it feels like.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  6. billham

    billham Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *You have yourself a sweet giraffe there.*

    Thanks to this donation to the uni group, 3 of us (me included) rode a
    giraffe for the first time. It certainly is a unique ride. It feels
    like you do a lot of pedaling but don't go very fast. It is
    surprisingly easier than I expected, at least to do the basics like
    riding and turning. Idling was weird for the first few attempts. Each
    time I started to idle I had to go backwards a few feet to get centered
    over the wheel for the idle.

    I think I need to try a few freemounts at next week's practice.

    Several other less experienced riders in our group are being motivated
    to practice harder to get proficient enough to ride it. It's going to
    add a lot to our practices.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Really close to starting a local unicycle club!
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  7. billham

    billham Guest

  8. darchibald

    darchibald Guest

    Nice find though I'm a little dissapointed that the "Long Flamingo"
    isn't pink. What's up with that?

    David

    --
    darchibald - Trials and Street rider

    Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of
    coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond. - Ferris Bueller
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    darchibald wrote:
    > *I'm a little dissapointed that the "Long Flamingo" isn't pink. What's
    > up with that?*

    Miyatas were never pink. It would have looked better than the puke
    green color they always used to ship us over here...

    I don't know much detail on the Miyata giraffes. I don't think they
    started making them until about the mid-80s. Having a seat with no front
    handle is an indicator of age, but I'm not sure what year they started
    with the handles. That was some time in the early to mid 90s.

    I have plenty of old Miyata seats without the handles. They're better
    for freestyle because the handle can get in the way. The number of bolts
    on that front bumper will give a further clue to the cycle's age. If it
    only has one bolt it's *really* old, but it probably has two. Or maybe
    three. I have all three kinds in the garage.

    Did you guys know that before Miyata had plastic bumpers on the seats
    they had the metal bars like the Savage seats? The Savage ones are
    copies of the old Miyatas. But Savage never wanted to spend any money
    and go to the next step.

    The early versions of the Miyata giraffe I remember were called Long
    Flamingo. This may have been more a translation of the Japanese name of
    the product, and the Skycycle may have been coined by Miyata USA for
    sales over here. I don't think the design of the giraffes changed much
    over the years, other than some component changes.

    They are good quality giraffes except for one kind of glaring weak
    point, which is also shared by some other brands. Where the seat post
    extension enters the painted frame, there's only maybe 1.5" of tube to
    grip it. Then it flares out to a wider tubing size. Stronger frame, but
    a weak spot around the clamp. I know Bill Gilbertson killed at least one
    Miyata giraffe from doing hardcore tricks on it, like unispins or
    something. But it's a fine giraffe for elementary school-aged kids,
    which is what it's made for.

    Your rim is chromed steel, similar to the standard Miyatas of at least a
    few years ago. Same type of cranks as well, not counting any necessary
    differences for the chain. Not the strongest cranks.

    All in all a really high quality giraffe for the kids, but don't beat on
    it like you would a Trials unicycle, and it should last indefinitely.

    The book that came with your giraffe is another indication of its age,
    as those books ran out many, many years ago. Most of the photos of
    non-Japanese riders in there are mine. Yup, that's the kind of gear we
    wore for unicycling in 1980-84, when those pictures were taken! :eek:

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  10. Tim

    Tim Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > The book that came with your giraffe is another indication of its age,
    > as those books ran out many, many years ago. Most of the photos of
    > non-Japanese riders in there are mine. Yup, that's the kind of gear we
    > wore for unicycling in 1980-84, when those pictures were taken![/B]
    > :eek:

    Nice, I want to see the book now. If you don't already you should put it
    on you site John.

    For a tall unicycle Flamingo would seem a better name the Giraffe.
    Flamingo has long legs then a body on top of them looking more like was
    a unicyclist does when s/he is riding a tall unicycle. I guess more
    people know about the giraffe as being tall then a flamingo though so
    they went with the more obvious name.

    --
    Tim - Jelly Bean Eater

    Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

  11. billham

    billham Guest

    Thanks everyone, helpful and interesting info.

    We had another fun night riding it tonight. Did my first freemounts on
    it. I was completing about 50% of my freemount attempts. I'm happy
    with that, especially since I expected it would take me longer to learn.
    I think I freemounted it on my 5th or 6th try.

    John Foss - It must be fun to have so many of your photos in a booklet
    like that. Good job! I do enjoy your photography.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Really close to starting a local unicycle club!
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  12. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *We had another fun night riding it tonight. Did my first freemounts
    > on it. I was completing about 50% of my freemount attempts. I'm
    > happy with that, especially since I expected it would take me longer
    > to learn. I think I freemounted it on my 5th or 6th try.*

    Which way do you mount it? Running mount or climbing mount? The rolling
    mount is pretty easy on a "short" one like that... the climbing one,
    well, I don't do that one anymore... broke my arm trying.

    --
    Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  13. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *John Foss - It must be fun to have so many of your photos in a
    > booklet like that. Good job! *

    Thanks. These days the ones I enjoy the most are the ones with a
    paycheck attached. But I really like the English-language Miyata books
    because I also had a bit of editorial input.

    Anyway, check this out:
    http://tinyurl.com/6oybk
    A panoramic, multi-shot photo sequence of Mike Leebolt doing a running
    mount onto a Miyata giraffe! Who is Mike Leebolt? He used to hang out
    with Steve Gordon down in Southern CA, and I found out from him that he
    had my license plate before I got it in 1995 (UNICYCL).

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  14. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

  15. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > *For a tall unicycle Flamingo would seem a better name the Giraffe.*

    Giraffe is the name that schwinn gave it and is the most common calling
    for all tall chain driven unicycles today. Long flamingo never stuck. I
    think that the schwinn 6" came out before the Miyatas, but that's before
    my time.

    --
    Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  16. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Schwinn Giraffes came out in 1977. I don't think there were Miyata
    giraffes until at least the 80s. But I think Schwinn used the name that
    was already commonly used for chain-drive unicycles. I think. A look at
    some old issues of the USA Newsletter should answer that...

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  17. billham

    billham Guest

    Gilby wrote:
    > *Which way do you mount it? Running mount or climbing mount? The
    > rolling mount is pretty easy on a "short" one like that... the
    > climbing one, well, I don't do that one anymore... broke my arm
    > trying. *

    I was doing the climbing mount, starting with my left foot on the pedal.
    I am 6 ft tall, so i was easy to reach the pedal, I didn't bother
    stepping on the tire first.

    Broken arm! No thanks, don't want that! How did that happen? Did you
    get tangled up in the uni on the way down?

    Bill