info on converting 9sp ERGO shifter to 10sp

sfcommuter

New Member
Mar 4, 2004
I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:43:16 +1000, sfcommuter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
>needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
>something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

You need a minimum of a 10 sp shift disk. Tools, a 5 mm hex key, a 3
mm hex key, a wide blade screw driver, and a 50¢ crochet hook (not
absolutely necessary). If you have a few thousand miles on the G
springs, replace them. Have a spring carrier handy if the one you
find inside is broken.

Special skills? Not really. It goes very fast the 3rd time you do
it.

sfc-<< I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?
>><BR><BR>

It can be done on 1999 shifters and later(not 1998 or previous). You need the
shift disc, EC-RE-061 and the front toothed bushing, EC-RE-062.

Not 'hard' but can be 'diffucult', particularly getting the spring in the back
reattached and wound up.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> sfcommuter wrote:
> > I'm sure it must be possible but I can't find info on what parts are
> > needed to convert a Chorus 9sp shifter to 10sp. Also, is this
> > something that is possible to do without any special tools or skills?

One thing you don't say is how old are your Chorus 9 spd shifters? Are
they the older "pointed" hood that came on levers made between
1991-1997? Or are they the newer "rounded" hood that came out from
1999-present.

If the older hoods, check velonews tech and campyonly.com, both have
instructions on repairing ergo shifters, including replacing all
springs, and shifting disc. However, if they are the older hoods, you
might not be able to convert from 9 to 10.

If they are the newer rounded hoods, check out Andy Muzi's
www.yellowjersey.org

He has both the official Campy Ergo repair manual on line and which
can easily be downloaded:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

Plus, Andy has Paul Southworth's excellent write up too:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

Andy is very Campy knoweledgeable, a frequent contributor here and a
great source.

Another source for Campy Ergo knowledge and parts is Peter Chisholm at
www.vecchios.com

Peter is also very knowledge and frequent contributor here and carries
just about every type of Campy small parts. His prices are equal to or
cheaper than Branford, and he won't sell you extra stuff.

On 27 Aug 2004 12:46:21 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>It can be done on 1999 shifters and later(not 1998 or previous). You need the
>shift disc, EC-RE-061 and the front toothed bushing, EC-RE-062.

The front toothed bushing is not absolutely necessary. It is an
inexpensive part but replacing it makes doing the conversion more
difficult. The spring that covers the through bolt is tricky to
reattach. If you don't replace the front bushing, the cable pull
between clicks will be the same. The distance you have to move the
lever to get a click will be longer at some point.

Thanks so much for the reponses. I should have specified they are 2003 Chorus 9sp. I got such an incredible discount on them last winter in a close-out I figured it would still be less expensive to upgrade them to 10sp at some point.

A tool for winding the flat spring can be made out of thinwall 5/16 cro-mo
(.035). You need only file it to produce two teeth that fit the grooves in
the top plate, then it is pressed onto a stubby #2 phillips . Prevents much
cussing.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"

sfcommuter wrote:
> Thanks so much for the reponses. I should have specified they are
> 2003 Chorus 9sp. I got such an incredible discount on them last
> winter in a close-out I figured it would still be less expensive to
> upgrade them to 10sp at some point.

2003 Chorus Ergos are essentially the same as 2001's. You can see the
differences bewteen 9 and 10sp versions on this 2001 diagram, complete
with part numbers:

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares01-A.pdf - pdf page 32

No special tools required. Job is DIYable but not very easy.

~PB