Info on Stronglight and Mavic dual pivot brakes

Jp

Guest
Can anyone tell me anything about these brakes? Any good?

Thanks.

JP

In article <[email protected]>, JP
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me anything about these brakes? Any good?

I have the Mavic SSC brakes, they work great, cost less and weigh less than Record.

When I bought them I found one of the brake shoe bolts had bad threads. In the process of fixing
this I found out that the pads are regular Shimano blocks (ie, like Shimano 105). Which is a little
cheap perhaps but at least it settles the pad compatibility question.

--Paul

> In article <[email protected]>, JP
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Can anyone tell me anything about these brakes? Any good?

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p7I9b.37699$A%[email protected]...
> I have the Mavic SSC brakes, they work great, cost less and weigh less than Record.
>
> When I bought them I found one of the brake shoe bolts had bad threads. In the process of fixing
> this I found out that the pads are regular Shimano blocks (ie, like Shimano 105). Which is a
> little cheap perhaps but at least it settles the pad compatibility question.

Mavic SSC were rebadged Modolos and shipped with the Modolo Sintesi pad in an aluminum holder. The
Shimano pads were not original to your brakeset..

In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, JP
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Can anyone tell me anything about these brakes? Any good?
>

>"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p7I9b.37699$A%[email protected]...
>> I have the Mavic SSC brakes, they work great, cost less and weigh less than Record.
>>
>> When I bought them I found one of the brake shoe bolts had bad threads. In the process of fixing
>> this I found out that the pads are regular Shimano blocks (ie, like Shimano 105). Which is a
>> little cheap perhaps but at least it settles the pad compatibility question.
>
>Mavic SSC were rebadged Modolos and shipped with the Modolo Sintesi pad in an aluminum holder. The
>Shimano pads were not original to your brakeset..

No, we are talking about two different "SSC" brake sets. I'm talking about the black dual-pivot
calipers that use a leaf spring, I assume that's what the original poster was asking about. This is
the thing:

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?produitsid=91&lg=uk

news:tFS9b.37708$A%3.485186@ord- read.news.verio.net...
> No, we are talking about two different "SSC" brake sets. I'm talking about the black dual-pivot
> calipers that use a leaf spring, I assume that's what the original poster was asking about. This
> is the thing:
>
> http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?produitsid=91&lg=uk

Oops. Yes two SSCs of no other relationship but name! (I liked the other one alot)

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> SocSec-<< Can anyone tell me anything about these brakes? Any good? >><BR><BR>
>
> No quick release ala Campagnolo. Seemed kinda weak and flimsy, when compared to any Campagnolo or
> shimano. Not impressed. Not cheap either.

From what I can tell of the picture at:

http://www.giroposte.com/Transmission.html (about halfway down the page)

the Stronglight brakes do have the QR, but the picture is not good enough to really even tell what
they look like. Stronglight doesn't even have the brakes on their website and I can't find any other
info about them.

JP