Info on Tiagra/Sora Cassette Ranges

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
I'm planning to buy a cheapish road bike for winter so as not to take my Giant TCR on the rainy and muddy roads when summer ends. Not wanting to spend too much, but I would like to have at least a Tiagra groupset because I am used to the STIs with Ultegra. But I guess I'd be happy enough with Sora.

The shimano website seems to suggest that Tiagra road cassettes only come in 12-23. I would ideally like to have at least a 12-27 because I live in a hilly area. Riding 39x23 is going to kill my legs - it's just too high a gear for me to push on the half-mile 17% ramp near where I live. Is there a 9 speed 12-27 in the Tiagra or Sora range? Alternatively, do they do a Tiagra 50/34 compact?

I would like to avoid getting a triple.

Many thanks

sergen said:
I'm planning to buy a cheapish road bike for winter so as not to take my Giant TCR on the rainy and muddy roads when summer ends. Not wanting to spend too much, but I would like to have at least a Tiagra groupset because I am used to the STIs with Ultegra. But I guess I'd be happy enough with Sora.

The shimano website seems to suggest that Tiagra road cassettes only come in 12-23. I would ideally like to have at least a 12-27 because I live in a hilly area. Riding 39x23 is going to kill my legs - it's just too high a gear for me to push on the half-mile 17% ramp near where I live. Is there a 9 speed 12-27 in the Tiagra or Sora range? Alternatively, do they do a Tiagra 50/34 compact?

Many thanks

If you go with Tiagra you can use any 9 speed cassette (105 is a cheap option). They will have more range options. You can give up the 12 and start with a 13 as the low end.

"Is there a 9 speed 12-27 in the Tiagra or Sora range? " No 9 speed Sora.

sergen said:

Many thanks

You might be a candidate for a decent quality used bike. For the same money as an entry level road bike with Sora or Tiagra, you can get a decent used bike that would likely have a lot better frame.

Tiagra does not come in a compact as Shimano only has the one compact crankset as of now, but you could use any other brand compact crankset with a Tiagra drivetrain.