Info on track to Creag Pitridh?

P

Paul Richardson

Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the A86 in Glen Spean up to Lochan na
h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830) From OS Landranger, obviously the first km
or so is very flat, but is the rest of the track up to the Lochan cyclable? If so it would make a
big difference to a round of the 3 Munros, which MacNeish's book gives as 26km - that would be a BIG
walk for me!

Any info much appreciated.

Paul Leigh Lancs

"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the A86 in Glen Spean up to Lochan
> na h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830) From OS Landranger, obviously the
> first km or so is very flat, but is the rest of the track up to the Lochan cyclable? If so it
> would make a big difference to a round of the 3 Munros, which MacNeish's book gives as 26km - that
> would be a BIG walk for me!
>
> Any info much appreciated.
>
> Paul Leigh Lancs

Easily cycleable. Loch anmakes for a nice dip aftera long walk too. However, it really is a pretty
simple walk - gradients are reasonable and not too much height lost between summits. Go on a summers
day and enjoy.

druidh

Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the A86 in Glen Spean up to Lochan
> na h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830) From OS Landranger, obviously the
> first km or so is very flat, but is the rest of the track up to the Lochan cyclable?

If it wasn't for the locked gate you could easily drive your car up to Lochan na h-Earba !

When you get up onto the tops you may need to check your map a few times, as Creag Pitridh does not
look like a Munro!

If you wish to follow Druidh's advise and take a refreshing dip from the beautful sandy beechs of
Lochan na h-Earba then take a sledge hammer with you.......you'll need it to get through the ice!

> Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the
A86
> in Glen Spean up to Lochan na h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830) From OS
> Landranger, obviously the first km or so is very flat, but
is
> the rest of the track up to the Lochan cyclable? If so it would make a big difference to a round
> of the 3 Munros,
which
> MacNeish's book gives as 26km - that would be a BIG walk for me!
>
> Any info much appreciated.

Hi Paul, As druidh and Stuart have said very easy access to these hills. It may be a 26k circuit
but it is generally easy terrain. Assuming you do Chlachair first the rest of the walk is very
clear if visibility is ok. We did them back in 96 when Mark was 12 years old and the entire circuit
without bikes took 7 hours exactly in very hot conditions. Coming off Chlachair we headed up the
stalkers path between Geal Charn and Pitridh and dumped the sacks near an obvious point giving an
easy walk to Gael Charn first before regaining the sacks for the bump that is Creag Pitridh. Good
hills on a good day and you will not be alone as there are always numerous cars parked by the A86.
Cheers Graham

Thanks very much guys - as this walk is a possible option for next weekend, the sledgehammer might
well come in handy for that refreshing dip!! (Though I don't think the present freeze is set to last
into next week, sadly)

I and a mate will be at Tulloch Stattion Lodge for Thursday to Saturday nights so the Pitridh
circuit is attractively local. All depends on the weather - obviously navigation over those 3 would
be the challenge with snow cover and mist.

We have done the other local hills from Tulloch before - the Ben Teallach pair, the Easains, the
Grey Corries ridge, and the Meaghaidh group.

Our other options are Gaoith and Clach a Bhlair from Glenfeshie, Meall na Teanga, and various other
ideas that involve a bit more travel like the 3 western Munros of the South Cluanie Ridge.

As ever, excited and getting neurotic about the weather prospects. Can't see any signs of that
Hebridean high pressure we've always dreamed of in Feb/March trips!!!

Thanks again

Paul Leigh Lancs

> Thanks very much guys - as this walk is a possible option for next weekend, the sledgehammer might
> well come in handy for that
refreshing
> dip!! (Though I don't think the present freeze is set to last into next week, sadly)
>
> I and a mate will be at Tulloch Stattion Lodge for Thursday to Saturday nights so the Pitridh
> circuit is attractively local. All depends on the weather - obviously navigation over those 3
> would be the challenge with snow cover and mist.
>
> We have done the other local hills from Tulloch before - the Ben Teallach pair, the Easains, the
> Grey Corries ridge, and the
Meaghaidh
> group.
>
> Our other options are Gaoith and Clach a Bhlair from Glenfeshie,
Meall
> na Teanga, and various other ideas that involve a bit more travel
> the 3 western Munros of the South Cluanie Ridge.

Also think about the Corryhully horseshoe if you have still to do it, a brilliant day out at any
time but specially good in the snow. For an even better hill there is also the Corbett Streap !
Enjoy whatever you do and good luck with the weather, It has started to snow here in Crieff now and
there is a lot of fresh snow on Ben Ledi etc

Cheers Graham

> As ever, excited and getting neurotic about the weather prospects. Can't see any signs of that
> Hebridean high pressure we've always dreamed of in Feb/March trips!!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Paul Leigh Lancs

In message <[email protected]>, druidh <[email protected]> writes
>
>
>
>"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the A86 in Glen Spean up to Lochan
>> na h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830) From OS Landranger, obviously the
>> first km or so is very flat, but is the rest of the track up to the Lochan cyclable? If so it
>> would make a big difference to a round of the 3 Munros, which MacNeish's book gives as 26km -
>> that would be a BIG walk for me!
>>
>> Any info much appreciated.
>>
>> Paul Leigh Lancs
>
>Easily cycleable. Loch anmakes for a nice dip aftera long walk too.

At present I imagine it makes for a *very* bracing dip - or a nice skating session. ;-)

> However, it really is a pretty simple walk - gradients are reasonable and not too much height lost
> between summits. Go on a summers day and enjoy.
>
>
>druidh
>
>

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

Easy track... I skied it once, and then swam up Binnien Shuas. Unfortunately on return the snow
had melted.

The bridge to Torgulbin is rather interesting - IIRC it was a winner of a student competion. A big
flat concrete span with some cunning engineering.

Richard Webb

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anybody know what the track is like that runs from near Moy on the A86 in Glen Spean up to
> > Lochan na h-Earba and Creag Pitridh/Geal Charn etc? (GR: NN433830)

> If it wasn't for the locked gate you could easily drive your car up to Lochan na h-Earba !
>

Has been known! http://gallery41104.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=2572490

Photo taken at NN466811 in June 93 on setting out on a round of Chlachair/Charn/Pitridh.

Don't ask how we got a key!! Pretty sure it wouldn't happen now.

Gwyn

> Thanks very much guys - as this walk is a possible option for next weekend, the sledgehammer might
> well come in handy for that refreshing dip!! (Though I don't think the present freeze is set to
> last into next week, sadly)
>
> I and a mate will be at Tulloch Stattion Lodge for Thursday to Saturday nights so the Pitridh
> circuit is attractively local. All depends on the weather - obviously navigation over those 3
> would be the challenge with snow cover and mist.
>
More than the navigation, the length of the circuit would be challenging under any decent snow cover
and in restricted daylight.

druidh

>More than the navigation, the length of the circuit would be challenging under any decent snow
>cover and in restricted daylight.
>
>druidh
>
>
It would be a biggie all right Of course you would walk the road leg in and out in darkness. A lot
depends on underfoot conditions on the hill of course.

However I have never done the three together, one day Mullach Coire an Iubhair and Creag Pitidh, one
day each for single ascents of these two and one day on Chlachair. All winter. Mind I walked into
Chlachair from Fersit. No lifts! Got one back though. A great day of extreme cold Boxingday 1985

Richard Webb