Info/Opinions on Shimano DX pedals - oops, try again

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hall, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Hall

    Hall Guest

    Can anyone tell me where I can get specs on Shimano DX pedals?

    Any opinions out there, comparing them to the newer models of spd pedals?

    Thanks all

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me where I can get specs on Shimano DX pedals?
    >
    > Any opinions out there, comparing them to the newer models of spd pedals?
    >
    > Thanks all

    Assuming you're talking about the SPDs with a metal platform around the clip-in part of the pedal,
    I love 'em!

    I have the 636 design (red body), but the current one is 646 (brown body). Mine explicitly say "DX"
    on the front and back of the pedal body.

    Note that they aren't very good as flat pedals for use with non-SPD shoes, if that's what you're
    hoping for. They work ok, but the cleat system will dig into your foot (it's angled up relative to
    the outer platform body). With SPDs, though, they do what you would expect: they work fine as an
    SPD, and you can use them unclipped.

    They're much heavier than other SPDs, but that's the trade-off.

    The specs on the 646 are on the site:

    http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/pedals/componenttemplate.asp?part number=PD-M646

    The 636 are very similar, though I think there was a slight redesign of the platform body.