Info re: Crank removal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    bottom bracket.
    Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti? So far I have managed to bend 2
    Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and before using brute force
    and harder steel, I would like to be sure! The same question would also apply to the fixed
    bearing cup!

    TIA Fred

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Fred <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    >bottom bracket.
    >Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti?

    Should be a normal right-hand-thread (counter-clockwise to remove).

    >So far I have managed to bend 2 Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and
    >before using brute force and harder steel, I would like to be sure!

    That sounds like a problem.

    >The same question would also apply to the fixed bearing cup!

    English fixed cup is left-hand-thread, clockwise to remove.

  3. The drive-side bearing cup is left-hand threaded. The crank bolts are standard right-hand threaded,
    and as far as the stubborn bolt, try laying you bike on its side and soaking the bolt with
    penetrating oil, like Break-free.

  4. "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    > bottom bracket.
    > Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti?

    Standard thread so unscrews anti-clockwise. Crank bolts should be tight! I find one of the hex bist
    that came as part of my socket set works well, the ratchet handle being significantly more
    substantial than my Allen keys.

    > So far I have managed to bend 2 Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and
    > before using brute force and harder steel, I would like to be sure! The same question would also
    > apply to the fixed bearing cup!

    Fixed cups on bottom brackets undo clockwise (left hand thread),

    > TIA Fred

  5. Russell

    Russell Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    > bottom bracket.
    > Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti? So far I have managed to bend 2
    > Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and before using brute force
    > and harder steel, I would like to be sure! The same question would also apply to the fixed
    > bearing cup!
    >
    > TIA Fred

    First, are you certain you need to service the BB? more on that later...

    I am not sure which Shimano crank (I assume it's a Shimano, yes?) is on a TCR2, but regardless, you
    turn the bolt counter-clockwise. However, the crank could use a "one-key release" system, in which
    case the arm will be driven off with the hex key, or it could have a standard bolt, in which case
    you will need a Park CCP-3(not sure about the model #), or a Shimano TL-CF15 adapter plug along with
    a CCP-2 (or any other standard removal tool), to remove the arm.

    The way to know which system is on your crank is to look carefully at the cap surrounding the
    bolt. If there are two small holes in an aluminum cap surrounding the bolt, it is a one-key
    release system. If, on the other hand, all you see is a smooth black surface, once you remove the
    bolt you will need the special Park remover, or the Shimano adapter plug and a conventional puller
    to remove the arm.

    Chances are, there is no "bottom bracket cup" on your bike; the crank will turn on a sealed bearing,
    cartridge-style bottom bracket. There IS NO SERVICING that can be performed on these units, so you
    *may* not need even bother to remove the cranks. But if indeed the cartridge is no longer good (they
    do wear out after awhile), to remove it from the frame you will need a Park BBT-2 splined cartridge
    removal tool, and a 32mm spanner (or a 3/8" drive ratchet). On the "fixed bearing cup" side ( the
    side where all the chainrings are, or the right side of the bike) you would turn the wrench
    clockwise to remove the unit.

  6. bball

    bball Guest

    On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:10:33 +0000 (UTC), "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    >bottom bracket.
    >Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti? So far I have managed to bend 2
    > Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and before using brute force
    > and harder steel, I would like to be sure! The same question would also apply to the fixed
    > bearing cup!
    >
    >TIA Fred

    Impact wrench. Reverse one of the bits so that the butt end fits into the bolt. Also works very well
    for installation, insuring the crank snugs up the tapered shaft.

    Bruce

  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks, one and all! The reason I am trying to get to the bearings is, that I am getting a ticking
    sound at 1 o.clock position on chain wheel side under load and I want to eliminate that annoyance.
    It seems to be smooth enough without chain and there is no play or roughness in the BB, but ever
    since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I have always managed to take anything apart. (Of course
    putting things back together again was a different matter!) And I do not like to be defeated! I know
    it could also be the pedal, but after 3000 miles I thought the bottom bracket might also benefit
    from a clean up. Well, I have got a Giant agents shop not too far away and it looks as if it would
    be far better not to get my hands dirty on this occasion! I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks
    again Fred

    > On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:10:33 +0000 (UTC), "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I am trying to undo the crank bolt on the chainwheel side on my Giant TCR2. for a service of the
    > >bottom bracket.
    > >Q: Which way does the Allen key bolt unscrew? Clockwise or anti? So far I have managed to bend 2
    > > Allen keys without any apparent movement of that stubborn bolt and before using brute force
    > > and harder steel, I would like to be sure! The same question would also apply to the fixed
    > > bearing cup!
    > >
    > >TIA Fred
    > >
    > Impact wrench. Reverse one of the bits so that the butt end fits into the bolt. Also works very
    > well for installation, insuring the crank snugs up the tapered shaft.
    >
    > Bruce

  8. Fred

    Fred Guest

    As promised - update Finally got irritated enough to dismantle my chainwheel side pedal and found
    that instead of 13 ball bearings there were only 12 in one of the races. Maybe the guy assembling
    the pedal in the factory was superstitious or couldn't count or they were saving money! Whichever -
    problem solved! And again - thanks for advice. Fred