Info request: Louisiana

Bob Kastigar

Guest
I'm contemplating a self-supported tour this summer in Louisiana.

Starting in Shrevport, roughly following the Red River to the Achafalaya River, south to maybe
Houma, then back up to New Orleans. Something like that. (Taking the roads, not the river!)

Any suggestions? Comments, good or bad? Anything along the way I shouldn't miss? Or should miss?

In particular, how about camping, campground or guerrila camping? Do I need to worry about
critters, especially in the southern end? Reasonable alternatives (motels) along the route? Any
long, desolate, isolated areas along the stretch? Can I count on finding nourishment without
carrying food?

I've toured in Louisiana before, great state, great people, so I'm not concerned about that.

Thanks for any help or advice.

--
Bob Kastigar; mailto:[email protected] Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga Work:
http://www.wgntv.com School: http://www.neiu.edu Play: http://www.neiu.edu/~stagectr Union:

"Sweet Old Bob" (or just the initials)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

It's flat. I rode from Dallas to St. Francisville the week after Thanksgiving. I took your route
from Shreveport along 200 miles of LA Hwy 1 all the way to St. Francisville.

It's flat (two hills-- three if you count the Mississippi River levee at the ferry crossing... four
if you count the Atchafalaya River bridge at Simmesport.)

If I had it to do over again, I would cross the state either farther north and cross the Mississippi
river at Natchez (See Mark Boyd's description on his website)
http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour2000/day11/day11.htm...
http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/tour2000/day12/day12.htm or go across farther south-- roughly
the Adventure cycling route. Either way is bound to be more interesting.

The best stretch of LA 1 is east of Simmesport and you said you wanted to head south at the
Atchafalaya... You might want to go on east to New Roads and take the Great River Route south.
(There were signs marking this route that I saw at a number of spots beginning at Morganza.)

LA Hwy 1 *is* a comfortable ride with good shoulders most of the way. (Did I mention it's flat?)
There're many chances for food, camping, motels. Although most camp spots are several miles off the
route-- You might explore the idea of camping at the city park in Simmesport-- Just west of town. I
took a midday catnap on one of the park benches there-- It would be good --I'd call ahead and ask if
it was legal.

The people and the drivers couldn't have been nicer in Lousiana. Enjoy your trip.

Randy Russell Russells Associates Real Estate, Inc. SELL... It's In The Name! Dallas, Texas
http://www.russells.com

"Bob Kastigar" <R-Kastigar@DELETE_THISneiu.edu> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm contemplating a self-supported tour this summer in Louisiana.
>
> Starting in Shrevport, roughly following the Red River to the Achafalaya River, south to maybe
> Houma, then back up to New Orleans. Something like that. (Taking the roads, not the river!)
>
> Any suggestions? Comments, good or bad? Anything along the way I shouldn't miss? Or should miss?
>
> In particular, how about camping, campground or guerrila camping? Do I need to worry about
> critters, especially in the southern end? Reasonable alternatives (motels) along the route? Any
> long, desolate, isolated areas along the stretch? Can I count on finding nourishment without
> carrying food?
>
> I've toured in Louisiana before, great state, great people, so I'm not concerned about that.
>
> Thanks for any help or advice.
>
> --
> Bob Kastigar; mailto:[email protected] Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga Work:
> http://www.wgntv.com School: http://www.neiu.edu Play: http://www.neiu.edu/~stagectr Union:
> http://www.ibew1220.org (Chicago, IL USA) finger [email protected]
>
> "Sweet Old Bob" (or just the initials)

http://www.uncensored-news.com

Sweet Old Bob wrote:

> I'm contemplating a self-supported tour this summer in Louisiana....
> Any suggestions? Comments, good or bad? Anything along the way I shouldn't miss? Or should miss?
>
> In particular, how about camping, campground or guerrila camping? Do I need to worry about
> critters, especially in the southern end? Reasonable alternatives (motels) along the route? Any
> long, desolate, isolated areas along the stretch? Can I count on finding nourishment without
> carrying food?

Last year alt.rec.camping had a long thread about summertime camping near NOLA. Climate issues,
with a minor in mosquitoes. Worth checking out. --Karen M. can I go?