Info wanted: Mid-80s, 24"-wheeled, Raleigh 10-speed

Matt Liggett

Guest
When I was in middle school, some time around 1985, my father bought
for me a brand new Raleigh ten-speed bicycle. It had, as I recall,
"24-inch" wheels and was supposed to be a youth model. The paint
scheme was grey and black, and it had friction shifters mounted either
to the stem or the handlebars. The drop bars were covered in black
foam rather than tape. The brake levers actually had two sub-levers
and could be actuated either from the drops or from the top of the
bars.

My parents claim to still have this bike in their garage, though I
haven't seen it in years. Does anybody know anything about these
bikes? Were they any good? (I sure loved it, but what kid doesn't
love his bike?) If I wanted to get it in shape, would tires and tubes
be impossible to find?
--
Matt Liggett [email protected] http://pobox.com/~mml
| "[Pasteur said,] 'Luck favors the prepared mind.' And I think |

Matt Liggett wrote:

> When I was in middle school, some time around 1985, my father bought
> for me a brand new Raleigh ten-speed bicycle. It had, as I recall,
> "24-inch" wheels and was supposed to be a youth model. The paint
> scheme was grey and black, and it had friction shifters mounted either
> to the stem or the handlebars. The drop bars were covered in black
> foam rather than tape. The brake levers actually had two sub-levers
> and could be actuated either from the drops or from the top of the
> bars.
>
> My parents claim to still have this bike in their garage, though I
> haven't seen it in years. Does anybody know anything about these
> bikes? Were they any good? (I sure loved it, but what kid doesn't
> love his bike?) If I wanted to get it in shape, would tires and tubes
> be impossible to find?

That's a Taiwan built Raleigh Record 24". Unremarkable.

Tires are the standard 24" lightweight 24x1-3/8 -540.
Cheap at any LBS which commonly services bicycles.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org