Info: Why Does Low Fat Diets Not Work?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by TexasSteven, May 23, 2005.

  1. TexasSteven

    TexasSteven Guest

    The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your opinion?

    TexasSteven
     
    Tags:


  2. TexasSteven wrote:
    > The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your opinion?
    >
    > TexasSteven
    >
    >


    They do work if you can stay on them. But people don't stay on them.
    Most people don't stay on any diet so it's not just a problem with low fat.
     
  3. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "TexasSteven" <[email protected]> writes:
    > The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your opinion?


    An unqualified "low fat" doesn't mean much. *How* low? Where do the
    other calories come from? A PSMF is a low fat diet, and *does* work,
    but a "90% calories from sugar" diet certainly won't work.

    The problem with "low fat" is that most people turn it into a "very
    high carb" diet, and that causes insulin swings and other problems,
    and ultimately leads to overeating.
     
  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: "TexasSteven" <[email protected]> writes:
    ::: The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your
    ::: opinion?
    ::
    :: An unqualified "low fat" doesn't mean much. *How* low? Where do the
    :: other calories come from? A PSMF is a low fat diet, and *does* work,
    :: but a "90% calories from sugar" diet certainly won't work.
    ::
    :: The problem with "low fat" is that most people turn it into a "very
    :: high carb" diet, and that causes insulin swings and other problems,
    :: and ultimately leads to overeating.

    My experience is that low-fat diets (about 10-15% from fat) do work, but the
    problem is people can't work them into the long term. Just like a PSMF
    works if you apply it correctly, but you aren't likely to be able to follow
    one for an extended period of time. Too much backsliding and you're back
    where you started, or worse.
     
  5. TexasSteven wrote:
    > The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your

    opinion?

    Low fat worked for me in the sense that I lost weight. As long as I
    was okay with eating salad with icky sugar water as dressing and the
    like, and as long as I was okay with being hungry every second of the
    day, I lost weight. I don't think you could say I ever meaningfully
    maintained a weight loss on low fat though. I lost, then I gained.

    Beth
     
  6. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    TexasSteven wrote:

    > The subject speaks for itself. Why do they NOT work? What's your opinion?
    >
    > TexasSteven
    >
    >


    As others have said. You have a hard time making yourself stay on the
    typical low fat diet.

    Fat tastes SOO GOOOD.

    Fat is FILLING and it LASTS for a while.

    Many nations have had low fat diets... low fat, low meat protein and
    high carbohydrates.

    Asian people, with these low fat, low animal protein diets, were SHORTER
    PEOPLE than those who ate fat and protein. And the countries were poor,
    at that time.

    With good food (more meat and fat), Asians grow taller.

    Basketball..... as more nations grow taller basketball players, the USA
    basketball advantage will vanish.
     
  7. TexasSteven

    TexasSteven Guest

    Guess in conclusion, folks, it looks like low carb diet don't . What might
    works, perhaps, would be what ever works for you (and your metabolism).
    Oriental individuals seem to eat loves of greens (green vegetables) Perhaps
    one could say....if it's GREEN... It's good for you (in the long run)

    and....EXERCISE!!!!!

    ---------------------------

    How does anyone feels about these so called alterating metabolism drugs?


    TexasSteven
    (San Antonio)
     
  8. Carmen

    Carmen Guest

    Hi,
    On 23-May-2005, "TexasSteven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The subject speak for itself. Why do the NOT work? What's your
    > opinion?


    Low fat diets *do* work. Low carb diets aren't magic, they just suit
    some people better than a low fat diet does and therefore the person
    sticks with them longer term.

    Take care,
    Carmen

    --
    Handy guide to modern science: If it's green or wriggles, it's
    biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's
    physics.
     
  9. Carmen

    Carmen Guest

    Hi,
    On 24-May-2005, "TexasSteven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How does anyone feels about these so called alterating metabolism
    > drugs?


    If your metabolism is screwed up, and a physician deems them to be of
    potential value in your situation then I'd say they'd bear
    consideration.

    Take care,
    Carmen


    --
    Handy guide to modern science: If it's green or wriggles, it's
    biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's
    physics.
     
  10. Luna

    Luna Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "TexasSteven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Guess in conclusion, folks, it looks like low carb diet don't . What might
    > works, perhaps, would be what ever works for you (and your metabolism).
    > Oriental individuals seem to eat loves of greens (green vegetables) Perhaps
    > one could say....if it's GREEN... It's good for you (in the long run)
    >


    If you limited your vegetables to the green ones, and didn't eat junk
    food, you'd most likely end up doing low-carb by default. Unless you're
    eating loads of bread, pasta, and rice at every meal.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: high carb + high fat makes
    you fat. Limit either one of these (assuming that results in an overall
    calorie deficit, which it will for most people) and you'll lose weight.
    For most people, going low-fat results in meals that are neither
    flavorful nor satiating. So if you want constant hunger and bland
    meals, go the low-fat route and more power to you.
     
Loading...