Informal survey: how many wheelsets do you own?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike S., Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...

    I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Interesting question!

    4 bikes at any one time, including 3 road bikes, 1 fixie and a tourer that I'm building. Each bike
    has 2 wheels, natch.

    5 spare wheels:

    Campy rear Shimano rear Lightweight front (24 spokes on 36 hub) Generic front (Ultegra) Fixed rear

    Also 4 spare rims -- 2 MA-2 (not for sale!), 1 FiR EA-60, 1 Open Pro -- and a couple of spare front
    hubs; no rears on hand right now) + various spokes & nips.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
    >
    >I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    >wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...

    It is the ratio of wheels to frames that you need to keep in balance. I think you need some more
    frames to reach equilibrium.

    --Paul

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:zhN9a.33217$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <ZXM9[email protected]>, Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
    > >
    > >I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    > >wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
    >
    > It is the ratio of wheels to frames that you need to keep in balance. I think you need some more
    > frames to reach equilibrium.
    >
    > --Paul

    I have an extra road frame, but it doesn't fit right so I'm trying to sell
    it. Had an extra track bike, but that sold, so...

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    >wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
    >
    >Mike

    You ask some tough questions.

    I counted up my extra wheels a month or so ago and I think I had between 20 and 30 wheels. Add that
    to between 15 and 20 bikes and I guess the number of wheels is between 50 and 70. Currently I only
    have two frames unbuilt, an old Colnago Super and a Nishiki MTB that may make get put together as a
    straight bar commuter bike.

    Jon Isaacs

  6. "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I counted up my extra wheels a month or so ago and I think I had between
    20 and
    > 30 wheels.

    So Jon, are any of those wheelsets worthy for serious riding like the Mavic Cosmic carbone SSC? Or
    are they just a bunch of old style stuff like 36 hole MA3 rims?

  7. "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Nothing you would be interested in. Just some Hed disks, a Trispoke rear,

    No one rides trispokes these days. Today guys like me are thinking about buying stuff like 1200 gram
    per pair carbon rim - HPW carbon hub Campagnolo Hyperons.

  8. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...

    >I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    >wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...

    Alas, in *my* garage there are 0.707 pairs of wheels and two frames.

    Conveniently, however, there are three sets of skis.

    --
    mac the naïf

  9. "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > But for guys that just want to ride AFAP (as fast as possible) such as
    myself
    > they are still one of the most aerodynamic wheels available.

    Dump them Jon, those things are too heavy, go with something like Zipp's 404 Constrained Layer
    Control rear wheel that only tip the scales at 748g for the tublular version.

    Showing up at a TT with tri-spokes makes it look like you took five years off from serious cycling
    and just now getting back to it by digging out the old gear.

  10. "Mike S." wrote:

    > I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
    >
    > I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    > wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...

    Well, I've got almost exactly one wheelset per bike. There are about a dozen bikes in the family,
    but each has only its own wheels. There may be one junk set hanging somewhere, but it's nothing
    anyone would want.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  11. [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    > >wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
    > >
    > >Mike
    >
    > You ask some tough questions.
    >
    > I counted up my extra wheels a month or so ago and I think I had between 20 and 30 wheels. Add
    > that to between 15 and 20 bikes and I guess the number of wheels is between 50 and 70. Currently I
    > only have two frames unbuilt, an old Colnago Super and a Nishiki MTB that may make get put
    > together as a straight bar commuter bike.
    >
    > Jon Isaacs

    Interesting. Two questions come to mind. Do you keep all 15 to 20 bikes in a two car garage? And how
    come your not sure of how many bikes you have? Are you constantly selling and buying bikes or do you
    just have so many that you lose count?

    For myself I have eight complete bikes and (I think) six extra wheels from frames that I no
    longer have.

    Tom

  12. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    Well, there's the Rhyno Lites on my MTB, the Superstocks on my commuter, a matrix and an "Araya" on
    my roadie... with another Matrix rear, a weinmann front, and a Bontrager front waiting for love in
    the garage...

    Ma "no disc wheels yet" tt

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
    >
    > I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
    > wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
    >
    > Mike

  13. Uh...there's Tar Baby, with two sets. Two for the tandem. One each for my Motobecane roadie, my GT
    mtb, the wife's Trek and Raliegh, the boy's BMX, an old Roadmaster that's taking up space, and the
    original 26"x1 3/8" the the Baby came with...11 total.

  14. "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've had Zipps but the 404 Zipps are actually considerably less
    aerodynamic
    > than a Trispoke.

    Yea but trispokes look so dated now, the redesigned 404s have really pushed hollow molding
    technology to the limits.

    I'm going to go through my collection of procycling and cyclesport magazines and find the last time
    one of us rode that vintage gear, and will let you know just how retro you are.

    Believe me, road cycling is NOT about retro.

    When I hear a recreational type in here talk about a Brook saddle I just smile and think about my
    135 gram Selle Italia SLR.

  15. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    > >No one rides trispokes these days. Today guys like me are thinking about buying stuff like 1200
    > >gram per pair carbon rim - HPW carbon hub Campagnolo Hyperons.
    >
    > Yeah, probably after that TdeF TTT where USPS had some problems, they lost favor with both the Pro
    > crowd and the coffee shop cruisers.
    >
    > But for guys that just want to ride AFAP (as fast as possible) such as myself they are still one
    > of the most aerodynamic wheels available.
    >
    > jon isaacs

    I have several pairs of the latest and greatest aerodynamic wheelsets in my basement.

    Too bad I can¹t go fast enough to be aerodynamic!

    HAND Ride Safe and watchout for the ice.

  16. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    > >I have several pairs of the latest and greatest aerodynamic wheelsets in my basement.
    > >
    > >Too bad I can¹t go fast enough to be aerodynamic!
    > >

    > According to Andrew Coggan, us slower riders can save more time with aero equipment than the
    > fast guys.
    >
    > That means that this stuff is good for guys like you, me and Fabs.
    >
    > jon isaacs

    Oh GOD!

    Please!

    Not Fabs. I think I am going to die....:)

  17. Jon Isaacs <[email protected]> wrote:
    : By the way, any luck getting that dishwashers job at Jack in the Box?

    do they wash dishes at jack in the box?
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  18. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Jon Isaacs <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : By the way, any luck getting that dishwashers job at Jack in the Box?
    >
    > do they wash dishes at jack in the box?

    Oddly enough, Jack in the Box has the best food safety in the fast food industry now...

    Of course that's because they got the grand mal bad ju-ju of bad publicity when those people died
    from e.coli in their burgers. But it's nice to know they did something about it rather than just try
    and sweep it under the rug.

    Of course, remember, I said the food was safe, I never said it was tasty.

    ObCycling: I have 2.4 wheelsets currently, my road bike, my wife's bike, the front wheel I'm
    building, and the rim I can't figure out whether I want to make a fixed-gear or a spare 9-speed.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up,
    and am blinded by a bright, white light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but

  19. Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> Jon Isaacs <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> : By the way, any luck getting that dishwashers job at Jack in the Box?
    :> do they wash dishes at jack in the box?
    :
    : Oddly enough, Jack in the Box has the best food safety in the fast food industry now...

    no, that's not .. well, that too, i suppose, but what i really meant was that i wasn't aware that
    jack in the box would actually have any dishes to wash.

    : Of course that's because they got the grand mal bad ju-ju of bad publicity when those people died
    : from e.coli in their burgers. But it's nice to know they did something about it rather than just
    : try and sweep it under the rug.

    jack in the box & i actually have history. if you do a groups.google.com search on me you'll find
    that years and years ago i was asking on something like alt.food (?) where the nearest jack in the
    box was to minneapolis. i wanted to try the colossus burger. for the record we ended up going to
    seattle for it.

    that, of course, was a few years before i became vegetarian (i'd like to say because of this, but
    that wouldn't be true).
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  20. Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Oddly enough, Jack in the Box has the best food safety in the fast food industry now...
    >
    > Of course that's because they got the grand mal bad ju-ju of bad publicity when those people died
    > from e.coli in their burgers. But it's nice to know they did something about it rather than just
    > try and sweep it under the rug.
    >
    > Of course, remember, I said the food was safe, I never said it was tasty.

    I just checked the public health records of the Jack in the Box closest to Dane's residence
    (http://www.metrokc.gov/health/foodsfty/inspections.htm) and found that indeed that shop has a
    pretty good record.

    > ObCycling: I have 2.4 wheelsets currently, my road bike, my wife's bike, the front wheel I'm
    > building, and the rim I can't figure out whether I want to make a fixed-gear or a spare 9-speed.

    We do not have any extra wheelsets. God help us, the garage is crammed enough as it is.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky See .sig on other post