Informal survey: how many wheelsets do you own?

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
>
> I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
> wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...

2.5 unused wheelsets.

For the two road bikes, I have one extra rear wheel. For the two mountain / hybrid bikes, I have two
extra wheelsets. One of these has the winter studded tires on it, so these can be swapped easily.
The other set was $4 at a rummage sale, which is too cheap to pass up even if only the cassette is
usable. The tandem and the recumbent have no extra wheels.

3.5 pairs of road wheels sounds a little excessive, but then there are those who would say owning 6
bikes is a tad excessive (although Jon Isaacs would not be one of them).

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
>
> I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
> wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
>
> Mike

three sets. one for the lemond cyclocross bike, one for the gary fisher hardtail mountain bike, and
one for the burley tandem. i do keep some extra tires, however. smokey

I Said:

>Dump them Jon, those things are too heavy, go with something
> >like Zipp's 404 Constrained Layer Control rear wheel that only tip the scales at 748g for the
> >tublular version.

Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> .aol.com...

> I've had Zipps but the 404 Zipps are actually considerably less
aerodynamic
> than a Trispoke.

Looks like I won this one, today's results of the Prologue at Paris-Nice:

USPS, Benoit Joachin riding those confounded damn trispokes on the front 120th place at 31 sec
behind best time

Team CSC, Tyler Hamilton riding deep rim Zipps as per my instructions 2nd place at 2 sec
behind best time

You can't argue those figures Jon.

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> I just checked the public health records of the Jack in the Box closest to Dane's residence
> (http://www.metrokc.gov/health/foodsfty/inspections.htm) and found that indeed that shop has a
> pretty good record.

Whoo. I used that to check my favorite restaurants nearby, thankfully none are festering health
hazards. I don't know what I'd do if I found Shanghai Cafe was doing poor on the health
score-card...

>> ObCycling: I have 2.4 wheelsets currently, my road bike, my wife's bike, the front wheel I'm
>> building, and the rim I can't figure out whether I want to make a fixed-gear or a spare 9-speed.
>
> We do not have any extra wheelsets. God help us, the garage is crammed enough as it is.

I think we might be taking my wife down to one of the LBS to see if the bike they have in her size
is indeed her size. Then I could give the loaner bike back to my friend, and my wife would have her
first road bike. Luckily this would end with us having the same number of bikes we started with.
Until I find that frame for myself to build me a utility/whatever bike.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "On the Internet, no one knows you're
using Windows NT" (Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo, [email protected])

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm trying to figure out if I'm WAY over the top, or just a little...
>
> I was looking in my garage the other day and saw 8.5 pairs of road wheels and 2.5 pairs of track
> wheels. Granted, these were for 2 road bikes, a 'cross bike, and a track bike, but still...
>
> Mike

After doing a careful inventory, and counting each wheelset twice, I come up with one. But then, I
may be further below the bottom than you are over the top.

Austin

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message ..

> You have no figures,

Really? What makes you think that. Remember these guys are my peers, I know first hand just how they
are riding at this time of year, put Benoit and Tyler on the same wheels and the results would have
been Benoit within 11 seconds of Tyler's time, thereby proving the Zipps helped Tyler yesterday.

Jon, do you ever talk with team managers like Johan Bruyneel or Wilfried Peeters for example? You
seem to be not up with
it.