ingrown hair difficulty

aurora

Sep 23, 2005
Does anyone have any remedies for sore ingrown hair-type red sores on the private parts? How to get rid of this ? Wrong saddle? What does one do to prevent this and/or treat this touchy ( 50+ yrs old) female problem. Gross! Thank you in advance!

aurora said:
Does anyone have any remedies for sore ingrown hair-type red sores on the private parts? How to get rid of this ? Wrong saddle? What does one do to prevent this and/or treat this touchy ( 50+ yrs old) female problem. Gross! Thank you in advance!
Wax and exfoliate with a buff puff. It's a bit embarassing but worth it in the long run. By the way, go to a salon ~ I know, I don't like it either, but they are professionals and do it every day. It's also way better than ingrown hair ~ ouch.

aurora said:
yeah, i have the same problem. happens almost every other week or so, too! grrrr

it happens... seems to be more of a problem for me when the blades dull. In the area your speaking of, you can get debris in an "open" folicle which can be painful and nasty. Sometimes it's the products you use (cream, jel, whatever) that can irrate the skin, and not be an ingrown. TO be honest ever since I've managed a clean house in that area I have have much less problems than when I let nature run it's course... I think it's just easuer to keep the skin clean there, apply oitments when needed, etc.

good luck

HR

aurora said:
Stop shaving. I had to due to a horrid case of an infected hair follicle/s, it is just not worth what I went through until I figured out the shaving was the cuprit. :(

Reactions: Connie858
bikekaren said:
Stop shaving. I had to due to a horrid case of an infected hair follicle/s, it is just not worth what I went through until I figured out the shaving was the cuprit. :(
i agree if you can wax it, or get it done by a professional I find I have much less trouble. All you need do then is just lufor (rough sponge) to exfoliate, I know it's a "delicate" area but its worth 5 seconds of being uncomfortable than picking out in-grown’s. Also try to keep the area clean and well moisturized this works for me but my "equipment" is slightly different to yours aurora!?:D

aurora said:
Chammy cream works - if you keep the area lubed, there's less chance of ingrown hairs. Some say to wax it all off, some say this makes it worse. I think it varies from person to person! Well fitting shorts helps too - if they're too loose, they bunch up, cause friction and ingrown hairs may result. Good luck!

My GYN reccomended Gold Bond lotion, it definately helps soothe chafed skin and seems to prevent too many ingrowns!! :eek:

aurora said:
You could also try one of the saddles with center cut out.......if you dont alredy have one

aurora said:
I also had problems, with armpits to. Stoped shavinh with a razor. bought a special shaver - problems gone.

ninc said:
I also had problems, with armpits to. Stoped shavinh with a razor. bought a special shaver - problems gone.
What kind of special shaver? Shaving has to be way less expensive than waxing. Far less embarrasing than showing your all to a beautician also. Tell us. :eek:

chickonwheels said:
Some say to wax it all off, some say this makes it worse. I think it varies from person to person!
I can't wax anywhere, the results are unpleasant. Ditto shaving if I don't do it right ( I'm a frail violet). My irritation/ingrown-hair-free shave technique:

1) very sharp razor (I use a 'man's' non-disposable safety razor, and replace the double-sided blade each time I shave).
2) low irritant shave soap (I use a 'non-soap' dermatological soap)
3) shave once over area, in direction of hair growth.

This shave is not quite as smooth as shaving against hair growth, but is smooth/clean to the eye. Those times when I want 'extra smooth' I'll do an additional once over against direction of hair growth.

I also use a non-greasy moisturiser afterwards, that has colloidal oatmeal in it (natural anti-inflamatory). For me this is important. No moisturiser leaves my skin dry & prone to infection/ingrown hairs. Greasy moisturiser blocks folicles (leading to infection). I'm in Australia, the products I use are 'Dermaveen'. I think an equivalent in the USA is Aveeno.

risiblequest said:
I can't wax anywhere, the results are unpleasant. Ditto shaving if I don't do it right ( I'm a frail violet). My irritation/ingrown-hair-free shave technique:

1) very sharp razor (I use a 'man's' non-disposable safety razor, and replace the double-sided blade each time I shave).
2) low irritant shave soap (I use a 'non-soap' dermatological soap)
3) shave once over area, in direction of hair growth.

This shave is not quite as smooth as shaving against hair growth, but is smooth/clean to the eye. Those times when I want 'extra smooth' I'll do an additional once over against direction of hair growth.

I also use a non-greasy moisturiser afterwards, that has colloidal oatmeal in it (natural anti-inflamatory). For me this is important. No moisturiser leaves my skin dry & prone to infection/ingrown hairs. Greasy moisturiser blocks folicles (leading to infection). I'm in Australia, the products I use are 'Dermaveen'. I think an equivalent in the USA is Aveeno.

I too used to suffer from ingrown hairs a lot!! And found the same techniques to work well for me, but still wasn't completely rid of the problem.

I can really recommend a lotion I recently found, it's called "Barc bump down" and after one week, using it twice a day all my ingrown hairs were finally gone.
It costs $12,- or something (12 euro's in Amsterdam) but you only need very little, so it lasts long.

Good luck!

In grown hairs occurs in all areas where the hair is curly and is being waxed. The problem occurs because the hair is curly and when it regrows after being waxed it tends to grow around rather than through the ski, leaving a bump. It can be effectively dealt with by regular use of an "anti-bump" type product for women who wax. They basically exfoliate the skin so that the hair can grow through it mpre easily. Also, a product such as Blue Steel Sports Anti-Chafe Cream with tea tree oil will reduce friction while in the saddle, so you won't chafe, as well as helping to keep the skin naturally healthy... tea tree oil is an effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent.

Exfoliate as often as you shave and try to cut down your shaving for a while, I know it is not nice, but you should be able to cope for a couple of days. As for removing them, place a warm flannel over the area for a while to help open the follicle and if you can then quickly pull the hair out with tweezers, you may need to tease it out a bit first.

Shaving can definitely cause this. If you are shaving in that area, try stopping, the problem might resolve completely once the hair is allowed to grow out to its natural length. I used to have this problem when I was shaving and I would dig them out with a needle. Once I no longer needed to shave and everything grew back out it stopped happening.

I shave and then immediately use the Lucas to scrub the hell out of. I rarely have any problems

Getting advice from the doctor can help. People react to different mediation differently.seek an earlier treatment before it gets persistent.

Yes, ingrown hairs can be both painful and gross but everybody gets them at some point. There are some things that I do sometimes. I exfoliate; yes it hurts a little but it necessary. I put peroxide on it after I have cleaned it and I will rub some acne medication on it until it is dissolved and after like 2 days it goes away. Or you could pop it but that will leave a scar though. I have also used the egg white on the ingrown hair and waited for it to dry then pulled it off and the hair came out with it. (I shave a lot) That's all I have. If these things don't work then yes consult a doctor.

Thank you,
Eileen100

I hate ingrown hairs and I'm probably doing a few things wrong with regards to shaving. Thankfully, I only get ingrown hairs a few times a month. What works best for me is to not touch it. It usually disappears after around 2 days.