Inguinal hernia recovery time

Mar 8, 2004
I go in for laparoscopic mesh repair soon.
How long has it taken others to get back riding??

I'll let you know after the job is done.
What have others experienced??

So, if you're going in for one soon, you didn't think to ask the doc "Yo, Mr Slicer, how long before I can get my buns back on the saddle?"

I say get back on the bike as soon as you get home and if it hurts and you bleed on the floor then maybe it was a little too soon.

If I start cramming hamsters up my butt, how long until the internal scratches heal and allow me to ride again? What happens in the furry friend leaves behind a little stash of his winter food? Will I just **** the nuts out or will they rot and cause septicemia ?

I had this done at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto but it wasn't laparscopic. It took 4 weeks if I recall - I was very very sore afterwards and I had lingering pain for weeks after that but it didn't stop me from riding.

I now need to have it done on the other side and I'm going to have it done laparscopically - when the weather turns bad that is. My surgeon says it should take maybe two weeks before I could do intense exercise again, but that I should let my body be my guide.

I'm very interested in hearing how it turns out for you. Please keep posting once it's done.

I had it done laproscopically (sp?) a few years ago and was on the bike within a few days. It was painful to rise up out of the saddle though. Normal pedaling was easy. The mesh binds to the muscle very quickly. It might hurt but you won't tear it loose.

I appreciate the replies done with sincerity.
Though doctors have a lot of training, and I think I have picked a good one, each patients's healing system and discomfort (pain) threshold are unique.
Hearing what other active cyclists have experienced gives me some ideas of what may be possible.

All went well. Turns out it was bilateral - one on each side.
Doctor suggested one week off the bike, then riding only on a trainer for a week. Then post-op office visit.