'Inhumane' motorists drove OVER and around hit-and-run victim as helay dying in the street

Doug

Guest
Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

"Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
Wills, breaking both his legs.

By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.

Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
believe one actually drove over him.

"It's a pretty sad state set of affairs when people refuse to stop to
help a fellow human who is clearly in dire need of help," said a
police source.

"Behaviour like this seems simply inhuman, and it's hard to believe
that drivers refused to stop and help. What's worse is that one driver
may have even driven over Stephen's legs before heading off.

"We can only assume in some cases it was more important to those
drivers that they got home instead of stopping to help a dying man."

When paramedics arrived it was too late and Mr Wills was pronounced
dead at the scene, apparently as a result of head injuries sustained
in the initial collision.

He lived by himself in the Moss Side area of Manchester.

He is thought to have had no children of his own, but was regarded as
a "father figure" by the two sons of a divorcee with whom he had been
in a relationship..."

More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=559991&in_page_id=1770

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/

Doug wrote:
> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?
>
> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.
>
> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
> Wills, breaking both his legs.

Terrible

> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.
>
> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
> stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.
>
> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
> believe one actually drove over him.

So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
they?

cupra (" cupra" <[email protected]>) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

>> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

No, not really.

> Terrible

Indeed.

>> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
>> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
>> believe one actually drove over him.

> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
> they?

I would surmise that they'd already called 999, and were waiting for the
emergency services to arrive. So - unless any of these vehicles which
swerved round him were driven by doctors or paramedics - there would have
been nothing that they could do. Other than stop and clog the road,
causing the arrival of the ambulance to be delayed.

Of course, quite why they apparently weren't in the road comforting/
helping him themselves - and making him more visible to approaching
traffic - is another question.

Obviously, the injuries to his legs wouldn't have helped his condition
one little bit, but I can't imagine they'd hasten his death much, if he
was already dead by the time the paramedics arrived.

<light google>
Ah, yes. Died of severe head injuries.

On 17 Apr, 07:41, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of Doug Bollen, who uses a tragic event to further his spiteful
> envy-driven crusade?

Yes, it does, Doug.

On Apr 17, 9:28�am, Brian Whitehead <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 17 Apr, 07:41, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of Doug Bollen, who uses a tragic event to further his spiteful
> > envy-driven crusade?

> Yes, it does, Doug.

In that area of Manchester at that time of night it is quite possible
that the whole thing could have been a set up to lure an unsuspecting
motorist into a mugging. I certainly have my doors locked and if I am
held by traffic lights I am looking for suspicious pedestrians with a
view to running the red light to escape if needed.

George

" cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug wrote:
>> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?
>>
>> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
>> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.
>>
>> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
>> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
>> Wills, breaking both his legs.

> Terrible
>

>> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
>> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.
>>
>> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
>> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
>> stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.
>>
>> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
>> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
>> believe one actually drove over him.

> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
> they?

In case anyone thinks that this is apparent lack off concern is a modern
phenomenon, I remember reading an article in the magazine Drive in the 1970s
in which they staged an "accident" with an actor lying beside the road as if
he had been knocked down, to see how many people would stop to help. They
were horrified at how few people did, though some slowed down for a closer
look. Of course in those days without mobile phones, it was necessary to
drive off in search of a phone box if you wanted to call an ambulance - and
that is what some of the supposedly uncaring drivers may have done. Nowadays
you can call for help without even leaving your car.

Doug typed:
> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

Nope.

> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

In many cases I'd agree. In the context of the area, the time and the fact
that there were already, apparently, witnesses attending, then I think the
motorists did the best thing and carried on, rather than causing further
congestion and potentially delaying the ambulance/paramedics.

> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
> Wills, breaking both his legs.

It has to be said that driving over his legs doesn't sound too good.
However, at that time in a morning could anyone actually tell it was a body
in the road or could it have looked like just some more litter? Where were
the witnesses who should have been warning traffic or at least helping the
voctim?

> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

So who and where were the witnesses who saw traffic driving round and over
him?

> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
> believe one actually drove over him.

.... and yet the witnesses apparently delayed raising the alarm until he was
dead! Seems like a bit of journalistic licence to me. Why weren't the
witnesses doing what they say others should have done? Are they as
hypocritical as you, Doug?

I think the article says more about the fevered imagination of journalists
after a story than it does about the human condition.

And about the OP who constantly uses death to further his own agenda.

--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.
http://www.glass-uk.org/

Mortimer wrote:
> " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Doug wrote:
>>> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?
>>>
>>> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
>>> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.
>>>
>>> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
>>> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
>>> Wills, breaking both his legs.

>> Terrible
>>
>>> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
>>> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.
>>>
>>> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
>>> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
>>> stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.
>>>
>>> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
>>> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
>>> believe one actually drove over him.

>> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
>> they?

> In case anyone thinks that this is apparent lack off concern is a modern
> phenomenon, I remember reading an article in the magazine Drive in the 1970s
> in which they staged an "accident" with an actor lying beside the road as if
> he had been knocked down, to see how many people would stop to help. They
> were horrified at how few people did, though some slowed down for a closer
> look. Of course in those days without mobile phones, it was necessary to
> drive off in search of a phone box if you wanted to call an ambulance - and
> that is what some of the supposedly uncaring drivers may have done. Nowadays
> you can call for help without even leaving your car.

The trouble is that you could be fined for doing so!

--
Moving things in still pictures!

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

"average" ?
I guess that says a lot about your standards Doug.
But then, you're the one who takes great joy out of the suffering of others.

Doug wrote:
> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

No it does not.

> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

Not the word I would use.

> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
> Wills, breaking both his legs.

Disgusting & possible illegal behavior,if the facts are as reported no
person I know would condone it.

> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

Why did it take so long to raise the alarm?

> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
> stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.

So this was not an average car addict that knocked him down, but a thief.

> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
> believe one actually drove over him.

See above

> "It's a pretty sad state set of affairs when people refuse to stop to
> help a fellow human who is clearly in dire need of help," said a
> police source.

I agree

> "Behaviour like this seems simply inhuman, and it's hard to believe
> that drivers refused to stop and help. What's worse is that one driver
> may have even driven over Stephen's legs before heading off.

Note 'may have'

> "We can only assume in some cases it was more important to those
> drivers that they got home instead of stopping to help a dying man."
>
> When paramedics arrived it was too late and Mr Wills was pronounced
> dead at the scene, apparently as a result of head injuries sustained
> in the initial collision.
>
> He lived by himself in the Moss Side area of Manchester.
>
> He is thought to have had no children of his own, but was regarded as
> a "father figure" by the two sons of a divorcee with whom he had been
> in a relationship..."
>
> More:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=559991&in_page_id=1770
>

> --
> World Carfree Network
> http://www.worldcarfree.net/
> Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.

--
Tony the Dragon

Doug <[email protected]> wrote:

> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

No, it says a lot about the mentality of criminal scum.

What was described was despicable and disgusting. Those concerned cannot
be described as "average" except it seems by one embittered old loser.

On 17 Apr, 09:13, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?

> > "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
> > over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

> > Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
> > believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
> > Wills, breaking both his legs.

> Terrible
>

> > By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
> > had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

> > The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
> > Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
> > stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.

> > Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
> > minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
> > believe one actually drove over him.

> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
> they?

Shouldn't you be more concerned about the motorists who just drove on
regardless?

There seems to be a typical mindset among motorists that nothing
should get in their way and they should get to where they are going as
quickly as possible regardless.

--

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:39:01 +0100, ®i©ardo wrote:

> Mortimer wrote:
>> " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Terrible

>>> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
>>> they?

>> In case anyone thinks that this is apparent lack off concern is a modern
>> phenomenon, I remember reading an article in the magazine Drive in the 1970s
>> in which they staged an "accident" with an actor lying beside the road as if
>> he had been knocked down, to see how many people would stop to help. They
>> were horrified at how few people did, though some slowed down for a closer
>> look. Of course in those days without mobile phones, it was necessary to
>> drive off in search of a phone box if you wanted to call an ambulance - and
>> that is what some of the supposedly uncaring drivers may have done. Nowadays
>> you can call for help without even leaving your car.
>>

> The trouble is that you could be fined for doing so!

Could be, yes - but one could, of course, stop driving.

Not that, on the evidence, many motorists would consent to do...

Doug wrote:
> On 17 Apr, 09:13, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car
>>> addict?

>>> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was
>>> knocked over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

>>> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
>>> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
>>> Wills, breaking both his legs.

>> Terrible
>>

>>> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
>>> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

>>> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
>>> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over
>>> by a stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.

>>> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
>>> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and
>>> police believe one actually drove over him.

>> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who
>> were they?

> Shouldn't you be more concerned about the motorists who just drove on
> regardless?

See 'Terrible' above, and Adrians comments

> There seems to be a typical mindset among motorists that nothing
> should get in their way and they should get to where they are going as
> quickly as possible regardless.

Not in this motorist/cyclist/PT User/ped'n

Doug wrote:
> On 17 Apr, 09:13, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>> Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car addict?
>>> "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was knocked
>>> over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.
>>> Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and detectives
>>> believe that one may even have driven over the badly injured Stephen
>>> Wills, breaking both his legs.

>> Terrible
>>

>>> By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55, who
>>> had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.
>>> The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
>>> Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over by a
>>> stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.
>>> Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as crucial
>>> minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his body, and police
>>> believe one actually drove over him.

>> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who were
>> they?

> Shouldn't you be more concerned about the motorists who just drove on
> regardless?
>
> There seems to be a typical mindset among motorists that nothing
> should get in their way and they should get to where they are going as
> quickly as possible regardless.
>
> --
> World Carfree Network
> http://www.worldcarfree.net/
> Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.

Was it just motorists who passed on by? There were probably a few
cyclists, as well, but that wouldn't be *news* would it?

--
Moving things in still pictures!

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:56:54 +0100, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Was it just motorists who passed on by? There were probably a few
> cyclists, as well, but that wouldn't be *news* would it?

On what basis do you say there were "probably a few cyclists"?

I have found most dual carriageways at 3 am to be completely devoid of
cyclists. I'm interested to find out why your experience evidently
differs so greatly. What Dual carriageway has significant numbers of
3am cyclists?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Doug wrote:

> On 17 Apr, 09:13, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Doug wrote:
> > > Doesn't this say it all about the mentality of the average car
> > > addict?

> > > "Motorists who left a cyclist to die in the road after he was
> > > knocked over by a stolen car were described as inhuman yesterday.

> > > Instead of stopping, they simply swerved around him, and
> > > detectives believe that one may even have driven over the badly
> > > injured Stephen Wills, breaking both his legs.

> > Terrible
> >

> > > By the time a passer-by finally raised the alarm, Mr Wills, 55,
> > > who had been riding home from a dinner, was already dead.

> > > The self-employed plasterer was cycling down a dual carriageway in
> > > Manchester at about 3.30am last Saturday when he was knocked over
> > > by a stolen VW Golf. The car was later found burnt-out nearby.

> > > Witnesses said that instead of stopping to help Mr Wills as
> > > crucial minutes ticked by, other motorists steered around his
> > > body, and police believe one actually drove over him.

> > So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who
> > were they?

> Shouldn't you be more concerned about the motorists who just drove on
> regardless?
>
> There seems to be a typical mindset among motorists that nothing
> should get in their way and they should get to where they are going as
> quickly as possible regardless.

For once, Duhg is right. As a motorist I confirm that I wouldn't
interrupt my journey to aid Duhg if I passed him laid by the side of
the road. Well, actually, I *might* just possibly detour a little to
run over the old bastids head.

--

nully wrote:
> Doug wrote:

>>> Terrible

>>> So what were the witnesses doing in these crucial minutes, and who
>>> were they?

>> Shouldn't you be more concerned about the motorists who just drove on
>> regardless?
>>
>> There seems to be a typical mindset among motorists that nothing
>> should get in their way and they should get to where they are going as
>> quickly as possible regardless.

> For once, Duhg is right. As a motorist I confirm that I wouldn't
> interrupt my journey to aid Duhg if I passed him laid by the side of
> the road. Well, actually, I *might* just possibly detour a little to
> run over the old bastids head.

Well, I don't know about that, but in all the circumstances, at 3am on a
Manchester main route with the visible aftermath of an accident and
(what must have been) several other vehicles stopped already, I think
I'd rapidly tend to the view that any problems were already being
addressed and that more problems may well be caused - especially for me
- if I were silly enough to stop. Not that I would be able to anything
more than use a phone to call for help in any event.

_ wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:39:01 +0100, ®i©ardo wrote:
>
>> Mortimer wrote:
>>> " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> In case anyone thinks that this is apparent lack off concern is a modern
>>> phenomenon, I remember reading an article in the magazine Drive in the 1970s
>>> in which they staged an "accident" with an actor lying beside the road as if
>>> he had been knocked down, to see how many people would stop to help. They
>>> were horrified at how few people did, though some slowed down for a closer
>>> look. Of course in those days without mobile phones, it was necessary to
>>> drive off in search of a phone box if you wanted to call an ambulance - and
>>> that is what some of the supposedly uncaring drivers may have done. Nowadays
>>> you can call for help without even leaving your car.
>>>

>> The trouble is that you could be fined for doing so!

> Could be, yes - but one could, of course, stop driving.

Not completely necessary; there's an exemption in the law for calling
emergency services.

Ian Smith wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:56:54 +0100, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Was it just motorists who passed on by? There were probably a few
>> cyclists, as well, but that wouldn't be *news* would it?

> On what basis do you say there were "probably a few cyclists"?
>
> I have found most dual carriageways at 3 am to be completely devoid of
> cyclists. I'm interested to find out why your experience evidently
> differs so greatly. What Dual carriageway has significant numbers of
> 3am cyclists?
>
> regards, Ian SMith

Well, as it seems to have been such a busy road with lots of traffic,
lots of witnesses, it seems fairly safe to assume that most modes of
transport passed by...

I frequently drive late at night/early morning and whilst we have few
dual carriageways I do see a fair number of cyclists.

--
Moving things in still pictures!