Injured cyclist -- Nathan Simmons

Trevor A Panther

Guest
I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"

Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would appreciate your
support either on here, or by more personal contact if you know her well.

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus
> track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder
> bone and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

Ouch, sounds painful. Pass on my best wishes Waffles. Hope it won't
affect any exams and stuff?

in message <x%[email protected]>, Trevor A
Panther ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus
> track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone
> and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>
> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would appreciate
> your support either on here, or by more personal contact if you know her
> well.

Oh, ****.

Best wishes, Waffly, tell him to mend quickly. Broken pelvis doesn't sound
at all amusing. But things do mend, particularly when you're young.

[ Disclaimer: This is a work displacement exercise. Please feel free ]
[ to reply either on or off group. Expect lengthy replies until the ]
[ deadline has passed. Thank-you for your cooperation. ]

Trevor A Panther wrote:
> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the
> Lotus track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder
> bone and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>
> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact
> if you know her well.

That sounds nasty!

Internet hug to Waffly.

pk

Thanks guys.

Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side away
from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the bunch.
Such is the way of things.

The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E staff at
the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the wounds and also
according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody bits, she now
understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it really easy for her
to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the wound could be
thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.

It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in to
Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.

Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right hip.
He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come up and his hip was causing
him more pain than his broken shoulder. There were mutterings about
hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence without the mention of shoulder,
and we could not get it confirmed last night if his hip is or isn't broken -
we'll be pressing to find out more about that today.

The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle on
bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a ceremonial
burning of kit in the garden!

In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly became
light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and laid on a trolly
(next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on trolleys in front of me)
to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot sweet tea & couple of biscuits each
was rapidly provided for Vernon & I which was very welcome and did the trick
to get Vernon back on his feet. I was gald of that, as I really didn't want
both husband & son admitted to hospital - it's bad enough with just the son
admitted!

Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part
> of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him
> and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else
> down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the
> side away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.
>
> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.
>
> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E
> staff at the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the
> wounds and also according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody
> bits, she now understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it
> really easy for her to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the
> wound could be thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.
>
> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
> night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
> season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in
> to Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.
>
> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on
> Nathan's shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with
> his right hip. He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come up and
> his hip was causing him more pain than his broken shoulder. There were
> mutterings about hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence without the
> mention of shoulder, and we could not get it confirmed last night if his
> hip is or isn't broken - we'll be pressing to find out more about that
> today.
>
> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
> small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
> totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle
> on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a
> ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!
>
> In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly
> became light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and laid
> on a trolly (next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on trolleys
> in front of me) to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot sweet tea &
> couple of biscuits each was rapidly provided for Vernon & I which was
> very welcome and did the trick to get Vernon back on his feet. I was
> gald of that, as I really didn't want both husband & son admitted to
> hospital - it's bad enough with just the son admitted!
>
> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
to be said, really.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>Thanks guys.
>
>Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

<snip>

>Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
>Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Damn. Best wishes to Nathan for a speedy recovery. And best wishes
to you and Vernon. It's not nice when your flesh and blood gets hurt.

Keep those maternal bazoomas heaving.

Tim

On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:10:37 GMT someone who may be "Trevor A
Panther" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
>last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
>He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
>possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

That is sad. Hopefully he will mend as rapidly as possible.
Youngsters tend to mend better and faster than oldies.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>Thanks guys.

Love to you both. It sould like Nathan's alive and will make a
complete recovery, that's what matters.

Look after yourself, Helen, you are important too.

wafflycat wrote:

> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/

Ouch. Hope he's ok before too long and all the best to you.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Thanks for letting us know how Nathan is, Helen.
I hope he makes a quick recovery.
On a positive note a woman suffered very similar injuries in a race I
was commissairing a few years ago - she was back again a few months later.
Please keep us all in touch.
Regards
Dan Gregory

Brian G <[email protected]>typed

> Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
> to be said, really.

<AOL>

Hope he recovers well and with no lasting problems.

Have a {[{ HUG }]} from me and remember to keep your stomach full and
your bladder empty!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Sorry to hear the news. Hope Nathan's injuries aren't as bad as first
feared.

If it is a broken hip, I know from experience that it's possible to be back
on the bike within three months, and eventually to cycle as well or better
than you were doing before the accident.

Best wishes,

~PB

wafflycat <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys.

> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
> Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
> Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side away
> from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the bunch.
> Such is the way of things.

> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E staff at
> the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the wounds and also
> according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody bits, she now
> understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it really easy for her
> to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the wound could be
> thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.

> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
> night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
> season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in to
> Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.

> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
> shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right hip.

Once the nature of the injuries is known, you'll have some time to
look up recovery physiotherapy and so on, just in the unlikely case
one of those injuries is involved where how you behave during recovery
has a lot to do with how quickly and completely you recover full
mobility etc.. That's an aspect of recovery rather variably addressed
by the NHS, some places being very good indeed, and some places having
apparently forgotten to include it in the management tick boxes.

Sympathies and best wishes!

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
> Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
> Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side
> away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

Was he copying the end of yesterday's Giro?

Wish him all the best ...

wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> typed:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

Yup, don't forget to look after yourself ... ;)

> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Get Well Soon that lad, hope he makes a good and swift recovery.

Best wishes to you all.

--
Paul - ***

On 24 May, 09:11, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> <snip details of tale of woe>
>
> Cheers, helen s

Wallycat,

as a serial lurker, I enjoy reading of your pootles and wanted to
delurk to pass on best wishes to you all, both from myself and the
many other lurkers who are out there.

I remember your worries at Nathan's near-misses on the roads, and it's a
blessing that he only(!) collided with tarmac, allbeit some very
fast-moving tarmac.

I hope you both recover soon.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> writes:

> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.

Let no-one say you don't have a (vicarious) competitive streak :)

I hope he has a rapid uncomplicated recovery. Like Simon says, the
young heal fast.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

On May 24, 9:11 am, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>
wrote:

> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Helen, I'm really sorry to hear about Nathan's accident. Please wish
him a full a speedy recovery from me, and I hope that you and Vernon
are also OK, particularly following Vernon's dizzy spell.

--
Dave...