Injured cyclist -- Nathan Simmons

Thanks again all.

Some of Nathan's mates from college turned up at hospital this evening which
perked Nathan up wonderfully. Much appreciated - they're a good bunch. So
Vernon & I disappeared off for a coffee & a sandwich to let Nathan & his
mates have a natter. Sometimes a bloke needs his mum & dad about and
sometimes mum & dad need to back off & let a bloke enjoy a bit of time with
his mates to keep his chin up.

No scan yet, so still no further forward on knowing *exactly* what is
required to the shoulder. I'll be at the horse spittal in the morning.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Best recovery wished for, for Nathan. His youth and fitness are on his side.
> My own problems began with a broken pelvis, made more serious by hospital
> neglect. I have since realised that pushing oneself in spite of a little
> pain is necessary for recovery, as Simon and others have said.
> Mike Sales

I used to work with a guy who broke his pelvis in a high speed
car crash and he recovered quickly. Quickly enough that he was
running marathons 6 months later.

Good luck to Nathan he sounds like a determined lad. I'm sure
he'll be back on the bike sooner than later.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Carol Hague wrote:
> Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> wafflycat wrote:

>>> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
>>> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

>> Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
>> to be said, really.

> Likewise - I hope he gets well quickly and as comfortably as possible
> under the circumstances.
>
> And remember - if you're going to look after him, you and Vernon also
> need to look after yourselves - keep yourselves fed and hydrated, won't
> you? .

Indeed, I couldn't have said it better.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 24/05/2007 17:43 +0100:
>
>> So the second time I broke my back, as soon as they allowed
>> me to exercise, I exercised; and I kept exercising, even when it hurt.

> Was that the cycling of on the bike with a broken back bit?

No, that was just stupidity!

;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming XSL processor.

wafflycat wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being
> part of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars
> with him and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring
> anyone else down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the
> group over to the side away from the rest of the bunch according to
> someone who was there.
> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.
>
> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E
> staff at the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the
> wounds and also according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of
> bloody bits, she now understands why cyclists shave their legs as it
> made it really easy for her to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to
> ensure the wound could be thoroughly cleaned to her even higher
> standard.
> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan
> last night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of
> races, last season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the
> morphine kicked in to Nathan, natters were had about bikes and
> fettling.
> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on
> Nathan's shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on
> with his right hip. He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come
> up and his hip was causing him more pain than his broken shoulder.
> There were mutterings about hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence
> without the mention of shoulder, and we could not get it confirmed
> last night if his hip is or isn't broken - we'll be pressing to find
> out more about that today.
> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large
> & small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi
> shorts totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake
> lever/saddle on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we
> are having a ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!
>
> In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly
> became light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and
> laid on a trolly (next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on
> trolleys in front of me) to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot
> sweet tea & couple of biscuits each was rapidly provided for Vernon &
> I which was very welcome and did the trick to get Vernon back on his
> feet. I was gald of that, as I really didn't want both husband & son
> admitted to hospital - it's bad enough with just the son admitted!
>
> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan)
> and Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery

--

Nigel

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>Bell 'CSC' lid totalled

Are you glad he was wearing one?

After my tap on the bonce, I'm wearing one again.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On 24 May, 09:11, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> <snip details of tale of woe>
>
> Cheers, helen s

Wallycat,

as a serial lurker, I enjoy reading of your pootles and wanted to
delurk to pass on best wishes to you all, both from myself and the
many other lurkers who are out there.

me too.
bless you all.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ambrose
Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> gently breathed:
>wafflycat wrote:

>> Thanks guys.
>> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

>My best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery. Especially him, but
>it's hard on the parents too.

Seconded. And as everyone else has said, look after yourselves too!

>> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being
>>part of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars
>>with him and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring
>>anyone else down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the
>>group over to the side away from the rest of the bunch according to
>>someone who was there.

>A noble lad.

Indeed - true sportsmanship and chivalry too. Bloody well done that
lad, I hope his recovery is total and pain free.

NP: Pink Floyd - High Hopes
--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:x%[email protected]

> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"

Please accept my best wishes; it's no fun being in hospital when you really
want to be riding again.

Take care,

Tim
--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it’s

On May 25, 12:31 am, "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com>
wrote:
> Thanks all *hugely* guys.
>
> A quick note as I'm briefly back home for a swift cup of tea & freshen up
> before going back up to the Land Of The Sick.
>
> Plus side:- hip not broken - Hurrah!
>
> Plus side:- College have everything in hand as regards back-up plans for
> exams. Mentioned already - apparently exam board contacted & aware of
> everything - scribe sorted - extra time sorted - Nathan told by college not
> to worry.
>
> Down side:- No CAT scan yet. No op yet. Mixed ward, Nathan in with some
> seriously elderly and frail people of both sexes. Not good for him or them
> really. Road rash oozing lots of horrible stuff but at least it's
> non-infected stuff - it's clean. Shoulder painful and hip still the size of
> a melon.

Re road rash - for when he gets home, peroxide applied via cotton buds
is an amazingly effective and painless way of cleaning it up (and
keeping it clean, eg removal of dressings).

Beats dettol and wire brush for sure - especially when you are last on
the ward for the wire brush :)

James

On May 24, 8:34 pm, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:

> I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
> couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...

Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).

Graeme

*best job I've ever had, surrounded by hundreds of mainly female
student nurses with only 2 other male members of staff. It's where I
met my wife.

Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:

> Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
> tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
> sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
> fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).

You're creating more worries for Waffles.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On 24 May, 07:10, "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
> last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.

Just to add my best wishes to the list. Looking on the bright side it
was better to fall of on a track than fall off in traffic.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:
> >
> > Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
> > tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
> > sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
> > fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).
> >

> You're creating more worries for Waffles.

Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
**** time?

Graeme

*though mothers may well have an infinite worry capacity from my
experience.

Graeme Dods <[email protected]> writes:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>> Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:
>> >
>> > Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
>> > tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
>> > sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
>> > fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).
>> >

>> You're creating more worries for Waffles.

>Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
>to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
>**** time?

Plus he can't really do much more than watch, and enjoy the washing :)

Roos

Roos Eisma wrote on 25/05/2007 09:01 +0100:
> Graeme Dods <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>>
>>> You're creating more worries for Waffles.

>> Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
>> to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
>> **** time?

> Plus he can't really do much more than watch, and enjoy the washing :)

And show them all his haematoma ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Better get Nathan in a big supply of T de F DVD's for his return
home :)

Take care of him (and yourselves),

Robert

He's home. Hurrah!

At last Nathan had his scan this morning. Got the results late this
afternoon. The location of the break in his shoulder blade means the docs
are content not to operate and to let time do the healing. Hurrah!

So I've got him home.

He's much happier as he was getting thoroughly depressed being on a mixed
ward of elderly with no privacy. The bed he's in at home is one where the
position of the mattress can be raised/lowered like a hospital bed, so he
can get into a relatively comfy position. It's arranged for the district
nurse to come in and do the wound dressings and he has his supply of
painkillers.

The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly being
run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she was treating
Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at all, doing it
*properly* despite the conflicting demands on her time.

His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood gorefest,
and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up so big, so
quickly, it overstretched the skin!

So, now to let him heal.

wafflycat wrote on 25/05/2007 20:01 +0100:

> He's home. Hurrah!

Good news. Now you can fuss over him properly :)

> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up
> so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!

jpegs!!

--

Tony Raven wrote:
> wafflycat wrote on 25/05/2007 20:01 +0100:

>> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
>> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came
>> up so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!
>>

> jpegs!!

Heaven forfend. I felt faint enough reading of the lad's condition!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk