Injuries for 2003

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
news:[email protected]...
> Pretty soon there will be an end of year request to declare your running, weight loss and all
> around positive goals and aspirations for next year. So how about some reflections on injuries for
> this past year.
>
> In general did you have one or more injuries and what was the diagnosis?

Yes, a bad case of AT in both feet followed by something similar to PF (but not quite the same in
my opinion)

> Did it slow you down or knock you out and how long?

Yes, it did *knock* me out, matter of fact I'm still on that dreaded 0 mpw schedule.

> See a vet?

Only myself, though it's not really my field of expertise (the psychic trauma of forced
potatocouching is sort of more up my alley but I'm not sure it has helped me that much....)

> Take your best guess at what you think caused the injury.

Sadly, that is very simple: I took up running this spring after a approx a 12 year lay-off, after 2
months I was on 60 km weeks with 2 speedsessions (and yeah, that does seem *very* stupid right
now..) until AT reared its ugly head after 4 months. I then waited approx 2 months, AT better but
not good, followed by approx 6 weeks of eccentric calf exercise twice daily (disussed in a previous
thread). This was a poison cure: I think it made my AT very much better, I consider myself now
almost cured. BUT, along the way I developed a lot of pain underneath both feet. That is also
better, but not yet well enough to allow running. The eccentirc training program must have caused
this, and I think it could be a more generalised inflammation of the tendon/ soft tissud network in
the feet. The plantar fascia is central in that, of course, but I'm not sure this is the classic PF
as the pain is not centered around the heel, more towards the midfoot and sometimes around the base
of the toes. I now do some weight-training but even cycling is too hard on the feet for now. I hope
to take up running again late this winter or early spring.

When I'm back to running I'll be sure to go slow this time, stay away from speedwork, slowly build
milage and just enjoy doing that. I read this newsgroup every day, read running books a lot, and am
just as motivated as before. All in all, it least I've learned a lot and proved to myself that I
really want to be a part of this sport.

thanks for reading, Arne

I did not run at all, I try a little one and t.v. news wen't crazy on news of V.P. C. u.s.a. see I
no watch wings hockey and we win..I do watch wing hockey and we lose..so if I not run untill P.B and
V.P C oust........ if they win and I still no u.c. or help from any $ I not evan try for u.c.
because I o have $ to bbbbbbb and can't run no because v.p.c get h.a..... hay I see y me... so I
ride for free and no help from all beeeeeee. AAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEE zero zippo nada....live
for free...... so I stop and news stop on v.p.c..I no think wise to mess wth v.p.c. on a run 4
me...... it all right 4 they to $$$$$$ and bbbbbb butt not me then they screammmmmm waa waaaaa
waaaaaaa not fair eeeeeeeee NO I agree u .c. I get no u.c. then they all b.b and blaim me...butt if
I get any well I well let it bbbbbbb No work e workie or u.c. 4 me. I no need you or $ u.c. or news
go crazy on me.. u.c so ride bike for free.. they work e and get $$$$$ and still wa wa 2 me who get
no workie or $$$$ and not run 4
v.p.c..or newsss e............. WTF. when I run before v.p.c. was h a bad. so wen hurt KNEE LEG POP
v p c stop h attack. so havent r.u.n.off.and v.p.c no H.a. so ha ha ha . I m u.s.a. and no on
say I not doe nate. b cause no run is all sac e fices. I say. I can bike ride alto and only
injuries I got was on butt... all hard and can go long time. longer then me. and if U thing
that is easy. to live in a hole so u can bbbbbbbb and I get zero cccccccc...U very very f f
wrong. because bike seat not really really con fee... U.C.......no I not think so...I b in
rock u see......I live........no thanks to B. I am the inf..pvt 1 zero zippo nada####$$$$$$ me
not u e me. under a rock with no u.c............I live. to bb all I can b.with out u eeeee or
$$$$$$ because u winnnnnnnn and I bbbbbbbbbbb utt.

[email protected] (Lyndon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Andersen wrote:
>

> >Sorry, but it has to be said - hopefully you haven't adopted _all_ of Charlie Francis's
> >methods. ;-)
> >
> Nope, and there isn't a single reference to the s-word on Charlie's site.
[]
> trouble: With or without roids, Charlie's still probably the best in the world.
>
> Creatine works well enough that I don't even get why anyone messes with roids these days.
>
> Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

I'v never heard Creatine described as a performance enhancer.

What's supposed to be the benefits, performance-wise?

I got whiplash and smashed rib cage in an auto accident. I didnt run for two month to heal the neck.
Then it took three more months to return to my usual hour-long runs. I havent recovered my former
speed and intensity, however.

No disrespect meant Tom but would someone like to translate this stream of unconsciousness into
simple prose. Our current political despots and injuries have some correlation?

Tom Wheeler wrote:
> I did not run at all, I try a little one and t.v. news wen't crazy on news of V.P. C. u.s.a. see I
> no watch wings hockey and we win..I do watch wing hockey and we lose..so if I not run untill P.B
> and V.P C oust........ if they win and I still no u.c. or help from any $ I not evan try for u.c.
> because I o have $ to bbbbbbb and can't run no because v.p.c get h.a..... hay I see y me... so I
> ride for free and no help from all beeeeeee. AAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEE zero zippo nada....live
> for free...... so I stop and news stop on v.p.c..I no think wise to mess wth v.p.c. on a run 4
> me...... it all right 4 they to $$$$$$ and bbbbbb butt not me then they screammmmmm waa waaaaa
> waaaaaaa not fair eeeeeeeee NO I agree u .c. I get no u.c. then they all b.b and blaim me...butt
> if I get any well I well let it bbbbbbb No work e workie or u.c. 4 me. I no need you or $ u.c. or
> news go crazy on me.. u.c so ride bike for free.. they work e and get $$$$$ and still wa wa 2 me
> who get no workie or $$$$ and not run 4
> v.p.c..or newsss e............. WTF. when I run before v.p.c. was h a bad. so wen hurt KNEE LEG
> POP v p c stop h attack. so havent r.u.n.off.and v.p.c no H.a. so ha ha ha . I m u.s.a. and
> no on say I not doe nate. b cause no run is all sac e fices. I say. I can bike ride alto and
> only injuries I got was on butt... all hard and can go long time. longer then me. and if U
> thing that is easy. to live in a hole so u can bbbbbbbb and I get zero cccccccc...U very
> very f f wrong. because bike seat not really really con fee... U.C.......no I not think
> so...I b in rock u see......I live........no thanks to B. I am the inf..pvt 1 zero zippo
> nada####$$$$$$ me not u e me. under a rock with no u.c............I live. to bb all I can
> b.with out u eeeee or $$$$$$ because u winnnnnnnn and I bbbbbbbbbbb utt.

No injuries, no awards, and not the last ass over the finish line. Not really a runner, more of a
slower... 51 years old and until 9 years ago spent days smoking cigarettes and watching Captain
Kangaroo. Wear Asics (2080s) and always listen to music while out there (only reggae).... Yes, some
people think I might go faster if I listened to rock, but why hurry?

2003.... half marathon in Feb marathon in May half marathon in June ultra marathon walk in Sept

Reggae running songs... Running away - Bob Marley Keep on running - Delroy Wilson Come running back
- Ken Boothe

Best investment in gear - the running HAT..... susan

In article <[email protected]>, Lyndon wrote:
> Ed Prochak wrote:

> You're thinking about distance running and I'm talking about sprinting. There's a sizable
> difference. Creatine helps one gain muscular strength and size IF you do strength training when
> you use it. It helps performance in speed and power events, but doesn't work in endurance events
> because performance there is limited by the capacity of the cardiovascular system to deliver
> oxygen. The increase in strength DOES increase performance in 100 meters and, to a lesser extent,
> 400 meters.
>
> So, if you go to a marathon you won't find anyone using creatine, but if you go to a meet and race
> 100 meters you might not find anyone NOT using it. It's basically the legal steroid (it's legal
> because it's a naturally occurring compound like caffeine).

I thought steroids were essentially hormones and hormone precursors, while creatine contributes to
fuel used in ATP/CP metabolism ? http://www.trygve.com/supplement_faq.html#creatine

Or maybe you're using "steroid" in a purely metaphorical sense ?

Cheers,

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In general did you have one or more injuries and what was the diagnosis?

Yes yes yes.

Dunno about the diagnosis, but the symptoms varied from severe pain after fifteen minutes of
running, severe pain on some days but not on other to severe pain after five minutes of running or
twenty of walking, and the location could mysteriously vary.

The cause was a tight hip flexor, a problem which in all probability had begun in late winter when I
ran on icy/ snowy surfaces (in non-studded shoes) and which my rather poor stretching habits allowed
to flame up when I least wanted it.

> Did it slow you down or knock you out and how long?

It slowed me down eight weeks and knocked me out three weeks before my scheduled marathon.

I wasn´t properly back on my feet, body, mind, soul and everything until early October, which means
that about *four months* of my running year 2003 turned out very different from what I´d so much
looked forward to.

> See a vet?

No, nothing was broken. But I did see a physio and paid good money to learn that short and
superficial stretches weren´t doing me much good.

> Take your best guess at what you think caused the injury.

"Typical" poor ("low-hipped. tense-thighed") "winter running posture" --> chronically tight hip
flexor --> unconscious stride changes --> more tight muscles --> pain a little every- where between
knee and groin.

And, of course: denial of symptoms, insufficient rest after acceptance of injury --> a long
injury period.

> The corollary is also also valid - if you did not have an injury what do you think is your key for
> staying healthy.

Well, in the four injury-free years before last June I had stuck to my own rule of never running on
more than three consecutive days.

Anders

Doug Freese wrote:

> Pretty soon there will be an end of year request to declare your running, weight loss and all
> around positive goals and aspirations for next year. So how about some reflections on injuries for
> this past year.
>
> In general did you have one or more injuries and what was the diagnosis?

Achilles bursitis continues, no running for almost one year now.

> Did it slow you down or knock you out and how long?

See above

> See a vet?

Two - one was incompetent though supposed to be a sports doctor.

> Take your best guess at what you think caused the injury.

Age and fact that one leg shorter than other, causing stress and build up of calcium on achilles
tendon. Bursa caught between a rock and a hard place. Cortisone helped temporarily. Unlikely to ever
get to a point where I can take up regular running again.

susan wrote:

> No injuries, no awards, and not the last ass over the finish line. Not really a runner, more of a
> slower... 51 years old and until 9 years ago spent days smoking cigarettes and watching Captain
> Kangaroo. Wear Asics (2080s) and always listen to music while out there (only reggae).... Yes,
> some people think I might go faster if I listened to rock, but why hurry?

Great atttitude! :)

> ultra marathon walk in Sept
More words.

[email protected] (Lyndon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> >I thought steroids were essentially hormones and hormone precursors, while creatine contributes
> >to fuel used in ATP/CP metabolism ? http://www.trygve.com/supplement_faq.html#creatine
> >
> >Or maybe you're using "steroid" in a purely metaphorical sense ?
> >
> I meant it in a metaphorical sense. Two different paths to the same thing--rapid increase in strength--
> except, of course, steroids can kill you and creatine won't. If you go away from running--to baseball--
> Mark McGwire used Andro, and Sammy Sosa used creatine. No difference in results.
>
> I use creatine in a conventional hypertrophy plan (3-5 sets of 8-12 @60-50% witn 1-3 minute rests)
> with a very short max strength phase. In this kind of application i'm not sure there's any
> difference in results.
>
> Lyndon
>

> "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

Thanks guys. Very interesting followup.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>In general did you have one or more injuries and what was the diagnosis?

Gained 8 kilos/18lbs of blubber (67kgs in 11/2002 => 75kg in 11/2003). Well, 4 blubber and 4 muscle.
Five of the 8 since end of August.

This may not seem like an injury /per se/ but it has bloody well massacred my self-image and race
performances, both of which I had my nose wiped in on Sunday by a delicious but totally tactless
club member.

It may well be responsible for my possible knee injury too. TBD.

Rough estimates of probable slow down if I should have to seriously race any official distances,
which I haven't done since June: marathon 2:55 => 3:20 HM 1:22 => 1:32 10k 0:36 => 0:40 and an extra
2-3 mins on Sunday's XC race.

Vet says that I've been compensating for lack of anti-depressors since summer by stuffing my face
with chocolate. Fair enough.

Doug Freese wrote:

> In general did you have one or more injuries and what was the diagnosis?

Acutely torn left gastroc and soleus muscles (left posterior calf)

> Did it slow you down or knock you out and how long?

Tried to take the usual few days off and get back into running, didn't work for first time ever. Had
to take 2 months off from running, get therapy, and cross-train/rehab with rowing ergometer instead.

> See a vet?

I saw myself, which this time was not sufficient. Got recommendations from this newsgroup, went to
physical therapy and sports med websites, went to excellent sports massage therapist. Who knows
which aspect of recovery did the trick, time off, rehab, massage, or combo, but it worked.

> Take your best guess at what you think caused the injury.

Running in shorts every day in Syracuse for 12 years, combined with forefoot running which uniquely
stresses my calf muscles. Calf muscles were well adapted to running style, but I think the left
gastroc muscle complex finally succumbed to cold exposure. Now I run with long pants in any weather
below 30 degrees F. Being that this is Syracuse, that is virtually every day of the winter.

> The corollary is also also valid - if you did not have an injury what do you think is your key for
> staying healthy.

On the positive side, had no shin splints thanks to the rowing cross-training. And had only a
couple minor head/chest colds caught from 3 year olds who always cough in my face when I check
their tonsils while ill. I think running nearly every day and the profuse outpouring of sweat and
mucus is helpful for flushing away any virus which might be about to set up shop in my nose or
throat. Also keeps the immune system strong. All this is personal opinion, not medical fact, but
who cares, works for me.

Best regards to you all, -- Josh Steinberg MD, Syracuse

>>See a vet?
>

> I saw myself, which this time was not sufficient. Got recommendations from this newsgroup, went to
> physical therapy and sports med websites, went to excellent sports massage therapist. Who knows
> which aspect of recovery did the trick, time off, rehab, massage, or combo, but it worked.

Othet than you intial poor initial choice of medico <G> it's good to know you're back on track. I'll
bet your patients are glad also. ;)

Dear Messiah,

Sorry, I don't get here often... Are you jellied? as in aspic...