Injuries

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by BexRunner, Mar 19, 2005.

1. BexRunner

BexRunner New Member

Hi all. As you can see from my name, I am a runner and I know injuries are very common and extremely frustrating in running. I'm new to cycling and I just wanted to know how common injuries are in this sport. Thanks for any help.

Tags:

2. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

I would say generaly injuries are less as cycling is much lower impact, as long as you stay on the bike that is :)

If you get a proper fitting bike and don't grind up hills in big gears you really shouldn't have any injuries.

3. ohgodnooo!

ohgodnooo! New Member

From what I've read on these forums, arthritic conditions affecting the knees and ankles are the most common, along with a few shoulder and lower back aches. Bone loss is also a concern if you don't do load bearing exercises along with riding.

4. Coach Carl

Coach Carl New Member

First, welcome to cycling.

The injuries for cycling are very different from running. The injuries from running are usually either empact or muscle strain related. In cycling, you are more likely to have join problems because you don't have your bike set up right or don't train right. These are almost always what cause your knee and ankle problems. For example, if you have been doing nothing but low gear work during the off season and jump into a big gear at the start of the season without properly conditioning for it, you will be very likely to develop tendonitise in your knees.

Make sure your bike is set up right and learn to train right so you won't have most of the cycling type injuries.

Also, learning the right riding habits, especially in the peloton, will go a long way in helping avoid road rash. It works.