Injury and Pain

ephopper

Jun 8, 2014
What are some common types of pain that keep you from riding?

Have you had to reduce the time and distance you can ride, or have you had to stop riding altogether because of pain?

What actions have you taken to deal with or recover from this pain?

I do therapeutic deep tissue/structural bodywork and was just wondering what issues are common among cyclists. Hypothetically, if felt that I was able to help you, through the process of the work that I do, and get you back to enjoying riding and life in general again without the pain, what would you be willing to pay for that on a per session basis?

Thank you for any info!

Cheers!

I have a high pain tolerance. I have had numerous surgeries and never took pain pills. That is why I keep cycling. Well not really but it helps. My legs generally just start shutting down on hard rides.Pain is just part of it and I deal with it.

Is the pain that you mentioned then mostly muscle pain or is it related to your surgeries?

Both, it is all about the goal but it does get harder every year. Alway be realistic but anticipate you can do more than you think you can.

Gotcha.

You mentioned goals - do you compete at all or are you referring to fitness goals?

Sometimes my knee bothers me. I was sore after riding, but I started taking Actigin and I felt much better after my workouts/cycling routine and whatnot.

That's pretty interesting. I've not heard of Actigin before. Do you think that the knee pain is caused by a nutritional deficiency then since the Actigin helped with that?

I have been dealing with knee pain for about 5 years. I have tried 3 physical therapists, seen a chiropractor 2 years (then stopped), 2 knee surgeon consultations, but no one can seem to help. Not really sure what to do at this point. Now I'm seeing a person who does ROLFing but I'm a bit apprehensive about tinkering with my body's geometry. They have me doing a lot of static exercises, but i'm not seeing great results. Its not helping that I'm concurrently messing with my bike fit, but at this point I have no baseline standard for comfortable pedaling potion, I just need the pain to go away. I get VMO pain and twitching, pulling / tugging sensaitons on the interior face of the knee, inner knee burnin, and sometime sharp stabbing pains when i'm out of the saddle trying to sprint or climb a steep hill.

I had the same thing happen to me a week ago, I was playing basketball, I was full of joy shot down hard, I had a sharp pain when I walk in the kneeling, basically when I'm moving, Ka sometimes grinding, I think I'm going to the plastic surgeon. In 2 days, I suggest that you do, because you can rip, ecspecially if you feel are related to burst. I hope you feel better. I know how you feel.

Used to be injured when I was a college swimmer (shoulder) and then as a triathlete even more so (running is fun), but no, since I switched to cycling I can do as much as I please. Probably could kill myself or literally have myself hospitalized due to riding 25 hours a week at high intensity before witnessing orthopedic problems ;D

Quote: I do therapeutic deep tissue/structural bodywork and was just wondering what issues are common among cyclists. Hypothetically, if felt that I was able to help you, through the process of the work that I do, and get you back to enjoying riding and life in general again without the pain, what would you be willing to pay for that on a per session basis?

Not cycling specific but from experience with my various running injuries I would reccomend following a good prehab routine, even when pain free, and for lower body problems I would especially recommend propioceptive training that targets ankle/hip/ and knee stability. Soft tissue work, stretching and strengthening is helpful but for me there is no single method that helped me preventing and overcoming injuries better than proprioceptive training! Also ofcourse make sure you see a reputable bike fitter...

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pains I experience that keep me from riding are back and leg pains. They always have slowed me down in training when these pains happen. What I do is go cross-training like swimming so my leg and back muscles can relax. I also go for a massage to have my muscles recover. Last and most importantly I schedule a rest day for myself. [/SIZE]

Back pain is one that prevents me from riding on most days. It is quite not great and is totally painful. Biking while you are on back pain can be very injurious to your back.

Back pain is one that prevents me from riding on most days. It is quite not great and is totally painful. Biking while you are on back pain can be very injurious to your back.

I fractured my back when I was a teenager, and it doesn't matter what I do there will always be a stiffness in my back when I am in the riding position. I just learned how to deal with it. Every now and then I would sit straight up and try to alleviate the pressure. But it is something that I carry for the rest of my life. I just deal with it and not use it as an excuse to limit my lifestyle.

Being on the heavy side of the typical avid, I often have to deal with saddle sores and chafing as I up my mileage and saddle time in the summer. Sometimes it is so bad I have had to take a few days off.

What therapies can you offer for that?

jhuskey said:
I have a high pain tolerance. I have had numerous surgeries and never took pain pills. That is why I keep cycling. Well not really but it helps. My legs generally just start shutting down on hard rides.Pain is just part of it and I deal with it.
Any surgeries due to accidents while riding?