Injury comeback using power training

larrynipon

Sep 17, 2003
I broke my foot in December, and after surgery, a messy recovery, I am finally back on my bike, with a foot that is still somewhat broken. However, I gotta ride!
I ride with both Powertap and Computrainer. I am thinking I want to do a 1 hour spinscan on the CT keeping my heartrate at a comfortable but threshold type level. Record average hr (should be at my target-145), power, distance traveled. That will be my baseline. I am thinking of combining long, endurance rides (outdoors) with controlled, interval workouts on the CT. I can't stomp really hard yet...foot won't handle it.
Doing the same 1 hour ride, at the same target hr, should give me a good indication of my fitness progress...better fitness, higher average power, greater distance traveled. Make sense? Appreciate any comments or suggestions to jumpstart the recovery.

Have patience my friend.

About 4-5 years ago I broke a bone in my foot (sprint training accident due to a pedal failure - pedal gave way but the pedal trap remained on my foot as I flew through the air - it was quite spectacular I'm told).

I wasn't able to ride for ~ 8 weeks and then only steadily for another 4 weeks. Then I was OK to use full force and do starts/sprint work again.

Provided you are OK to ride at all, then I would suggest simply riding steadily for a while and let the body re-acclimate to the sensations. Testing at this stage really isn't necessary.

I have of course since then had to endure a much more serious injury. But comeback you do. The more serious the injury, the longer it takes. So like I said, have patience but mix it with persistence.

larrynipon said:
I broke my foot in December, and after surgery, a messy recovery, I am finally back on my bike, with a foot that is still somewhat broken. However, I gotta ride!
I ride with both Powertap and Computrainer. I am thinking I want to do a 1 hour spinscan on the CT keeping my heartrate at a comfortable but threshold type level. Record average hr (should be at my target-145), power, distance traveled. That will be my baseline. I am thinking of combining long, endurance rides (outdoors) with controlled, interval workouts on the CT. I can't stomp really hard yet...foot won't handle it.
Doing the same 1 hour ride, at the same target hr, should give me a good indication of my fitness progress...better fitness, higher average power, greater distance traveled. Make sense? Appreciate any comments or suggestions to jumpstart the recovery.
Basically what Alex said...

How "somewhat broken" is that broken foot?

To jumpstart your recovery I'd consider minimal activity and get the foot 100% healed before starting anything serious.