Inner northern Melbourne training rides

hugh71

Oct 19, 2005
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of or participates in training rides for roadies that heads out around the Northcote/Preston/Coburg/Fairfield areas of a morning. I am moving to the Northcote/Thornbury area from Bendigo where there are several that go out of a morning. I am basically looking to join any regular roadie bunch that does around 50kms north of the yarra.

Cheers
Hugh

I'm not sure, but I know the Yarra Blvd is a bit of a "Beach Rd" for the inner city guys :)

I suggest ringing some of the shops in the area that sell high-end bikes, maybe starting with Richmond Cyclery. The shops usually know all the group rides.

hugh71 said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of or participates in training rides for roadies that heads out around the Northcote/Preston/Coburg/Fairfield areas of a morning. I am moving to the Northcote/Thornbury area from Bendigo where there are several that go out of a morning. I am basically looking to join any regular roadie bunch that does around 50kms north of the yarra.

Cheers
Hugh
You will always find some cyclists on the bouvelvard.

The best ride around there is the "Tour de Burbs" from Studley Park road (under the bridge) on a thursday night (6:45pm). Goes through the burbs and comes back to alphington/fairfield around 8:15.

Jono L said:
The best ride around there is the "Tour de Burbs"
That's a good ride, and can be brutal if you want it to be. The best part is that the group waits for everyone at the top of the toughest hills.

It's odd the way some of those guys tackle each hill: it's like they just wanna go at 2/3 pace then sprint the last 100m. I don't see the point of a hill ride which includes 1.5km climbs if first 90% of each climb ain't gunna hurt :p

Thanks guys, I'll give the shops a ring and hang-out around the boulevard and hope I don't get arrested. I'll probably give Tour de Burbs a go as well.

Cheers

Hugh