Inner tube sizing?

Zephron

May 18, 2016
Preston, Lancs.
Ive been using larger inner tubes (26 x 2.1-2.5) on my mountain bike than standard. (just checked a website and it says my bike has 26 x 1.95 on them )

So the question is, will it make that much of a difference? Should I try tracking down the smaller diameter tubes (The only ones ive seen so far in the smaller diameter are the presta valve types and I wonder how they would fit.)
Thanks in advance.

Why check a website when you can read the tire size straight off the tires?
Tubes that run big can be a tad more difficult to tuck in properly when mounting the tire. If they're oversized enough to actually fold there's a risk of chafing.There'll be a bit more rotating weight. OTOH with minimum stretch you have maximum thickness so it'll be a little more resistant to flats.
Presta valves in Schräder drilled rims is a somewhat debated item. Some will say you need an adapter or a grommet to fill out the hole. I've never bothered and have never had any problems.

The tube isn't that much bigger than what you were suppose to use, but you do have to be careful not to get the tube folded inside the tire as Dabac mentioned, but that isn't difficult, simply coat the tube with baby powder then install and inflate the tire to about 20 psi, then deflate all the way, and then reinflate to whatever pressure you ride at will usually takes the fold out.

Reactions: Zephron
your inner tube should match the size of your wheel and tire. Read the numbers and match them, its not hard to do.

Why check a website when you can read the tire size straight off the tires?.
Eventualy found the sizes on the tyres, just about covered up by the rim and it says 2.1 so i think we're cool.
It just made me wonder with the different diameter specs (and not having found the sizes on the tyres at the time) if there would be a problem.
Thanks for the quick reply :)