Inner tubes!!?? help!!

bruntboy

Oct 5, 2004
Hey i'm a bit **** with bikes atm lol! I need a new inner tube but how do I go about measuring it? lol! :confused: sum1 please write bk soon cus i need 2 go buy 1 lol!
cheers chris

philhudson said:
all you need to know is the wheel size, it can also be found on the tyre.
It ain't quite that simple sir.There is some width matching that has to be considered.Some really challenged people should probably take their tyre to the shoppe with them.

boudreaux said:
It ain't quite that simple sir.There is some width matching that has to be considered.Some really challenged people should probably take their tyre to the shoppe with them.

Yes. You need to know the diameter and the width, which should be printed or embossed on your tire somewhere. Example for a road bike tire would be: 700C X 23 (or 27" x 1") Example for an MTB tire would be 26" X 1.9". You could always bring your tire to the bike shop with you like boudreaux suggested too.

Thats what i ment, it says all of the measurements on the tyre, IE 700cc X 23cc

:rolleyes:

meehs said:
Yes. You need to know the diameter and the width, which should be printed or embossed on your tire somewhere. Example for a road bike tire would be: 700C X 23 (or 27" x 1") Example for an MTB tire would be 26" X 1.9". You could always bring your tire to the bike shop with you like boudreaux suggested too.
That brings up an interesting question in that the local bike shop apparently gave me the incorrect tube size. I run 700x23 and was given a tube that fits 700 18/25 (according to the box). When I installed the tube in my tire, there was a few inches of spare innner tube that I had to figure out how to stuff in the rim. When I inflated it, it blew when I reached 120 pounds even after taking considerable care to assure there was no tube under the bead. Is the aforementioned tube appropriate for a 700 x 23? Another bike shop this morning told me it was too big, and if that is so, why does it specify that it fits the range of tire sizes mentioned. I would sure like to clarify these things to avoid making mistakes in tube selection.

skydive69 said:
That brings up an interesting question in that the local bike shop apparently gave me the incorrect tube size. I run 700x23 and was given a tube that fits 700 18/25 (according to the box). When I installed the tube in my tire, there was a few inches of spare innner tube that I had to figure out how to stuff in the rim. When I inflated it, it blew when I reached 120 pounds even after taking considerable care to assure there was no tube under the bead. Is the aforementioned tube appropriate for a 700 x 23? Another bike shop this morning told me it was too big, and if that is so, why does it specify that it fits the range of tire sizes mentioned. I would sure like to clarify these things to avoid making mistakes in tube selection.
Tubes are typically sold that way.I have never had a problem with a tube marked such as yours in a 700x23 tyre.Am even using 700x19-26 in 20 and 23s Tube could have been mismarked or there was operator error.You should have partiallly inflated the tube with one bead on the rim,to check that it was evenly distributed in the tyre.

boudreaux said:
Tubes are typically sold that way.I have never had a problem with a tube marked such as yours in a 700x23 tyre.Am even using 700x19-26 in 20 and 23s Tube could have been mismarked or there was operator error.

Or it could've just been a bad tube. I've run into a few of those. I've also found that you can pretty much always get away with running a smaller tube in a larger tire but the reverse doesn't work so good. You should bring the tube back to the shop where you bought it and tell them what happened. They'll probably give you a replacement.. Unless there's substantial evidence of operator error.

boudreaux said:
Tubes are typically sold that way.I have never had a problem with a tube marked such as yours in a 700x23 tyre.Am even using 700x19-26 in 20 and 23s Tube could have been mismarked or there was operator error.You should have partiallly inflated the tube with one bead on the rim,to check that it was evenly distributed in the tyre.
I am starting to suspect an incorrect sized tube. I have installed a few tubes, and have never experienced the excessive amount of tube left after carefully placing the tube in the rim clear of the bead. It just did not look right, but I simply tucked the excess tube in making sure it was clear of the tire bead.

meehs said:
Or it could've just been a bad tube. I've run into a few of those. I've also found that you can pretty much always get away with running a smaller tube in a larger tire but the reverse doesn't work so good. You should bring the tube back to the shop where you bought it and tell them what happened. They'll probably give you a replacement.. Unless there's substantial evidence of operator error.
It probably was an incorrect sized tube, and I probably did not pay attention to the size on the box assuming I was given the correct size. Unfortunately, I disposed of the tube, but learned a good lesson.