Inner tubes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. I went to see the Carol Roma retrospective at Baltic last night. It's
    always a pleasure going there as I get to cross the fantastic Gateshead
    Millennium Bridge, probably the greatest cycle bridge in the world.
    Well, maybe.

    Anyway, Carol Roma went through a phase of using old bicycle inner tubes
    to make pictures. She'd cut them open, cut them up and then lay them
    flat to create expanses of black. She used old tubes so these expanses
    were often punctuated with patches, some very old looking but the odd
    more modern looking patch. The 'pictures' didn't do much for me but I
    did spend a lot of time checking out brands and sizes. She seemed to use
    mostly 26" and 20" tubes. The tubes were usually Continental, Pirelli
    and Union. On until later in April if anyone can be bothered.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > I went to see the Carol Roma retrospective at Baltic last night.

    <snip>

    > The 'pictures' didn't do much for me but I did spend a lot of
    > time checking out brands and sizes. She seemed to use mostly
    > 26" and 20" tubes. The tubes were usually Continental, Pirelli
    > and Union.

    Well done, Colin, you have officially passed the "cyclist at an art
    gallery" test. :)

    --
    Dave...

  3. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > I went to see the Carol Roma retrospective at Baltic last night. It's
    > always a pleasure going there as I get to cross the fantastic Gateshead
    > Millennium Bridge, probably the greatest cycle bridge in the world.
    > Well, maybe.
    >
    > Anyway, Carol Roma went through a phase of using old bicycle inner tubes
    > to make pictures. She'd cut them open, cut them up and then lay them
    > flat to create expanses of black. She used old tubes so these expanses
    > were often punctuated with patches, some very old looking but the odd
    > more modern looking patch. The 'pictures' didn't do much for me but I
    > did spend a lot of time checking out brands and sizes. She seemed to use
    > mostly 26" and 20" tubes. The tubes were usually Continental, Pirelli
    > and Union. On until later in April if anyone can be bothered.

    Perhaps we should tell Brian Sewell :)

    BugBear