Inner tubes

T.h.o.m.

May 6, 2022
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me out.
I am a casual biker and love to bike, but I have some inner tube issues.
It seems that every 2 weeks I have to add air to my tires. I have had the inner tubes replaced but have the same issues. Is this just a normal thing? I have Bontrager tires Nebula H5 700 x 35.
Are there better inner tubes available and if so where can I get them?
Thanks

dabac

Sep 16, 2003
Bicycle tires/tubes don’t hold air as car or motorcycle tires do. Airing up weekly, or even more frequently is entirely normal. The narrower tires and the higher pressures you use, the more frequently you’ll need to inflate them.
If it’s troubling you, about the only thing you can do is to try to buy the heaviest(=thickest) tubes available.
Solid AKA airless AKA airfree tires are available, but their merits are somewhat debated.
I find them entirely rideable on good roads, but opinions differ.

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
Bicycle tires/tubes don’t hold air as car or motorcycle tires do. Airing up weekly, or even more frequently is entirely normal. The narrower tires and the higher pressures you use, the more frequently you’ll need to inflate them.
If it’s troubling you, about the only thing you can do is to try to buy the heaviest(=thickest) tubes available.
Solid AKA airless AKA airfree tires are available, but their merits are somewhat debated.
I find them entirely rideable on good roads, but opinions differ.
Cars are usually tubeless these days and they have such high volume of air compared to the tiny leaks that they last for months before needing a refill. Tubeless bike tires leak as well, but since they have sealant that generally slows it down to needing air every couple of weeks.

Superlight latex tubes need to be refilled to pressure before EVERY ride.
Thin rubber tubes require air every couple of days to a week and heavy rubber tubes about every two weeks. It is getting difficult to find heavy touring tubes except in specialty stores.

Continental tubes tend to have high quality so their light rubber tubes behave a little better.

Reactions: steve