inportant consideration for racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neptunium, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Neptunium

    Neptunium Guest

    I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and was left behind or
    dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average group. He wanted to know why he was cramping
    up. Well he mentioned that he was 50 years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered
    my opinion that he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim
    when working out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading another
    article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
    experience Hyponatremia to some extent and the longer ride the more severe. Aftere reading this
    article mostly felt or experienced all of the symptoms. Here is the link to this article; I hope
    that this helps someone out there if they read it and understand the biochemical aspect to riding
    longer without killing brain cells.

    Hyponatremia: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

    Tags:

  2. Stu

    Stu Guest

    works fine for me

  3. "NEPTUNIUM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and
    was
    > left behind or dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average
    group.
    > He wanted to know why he was cramping up. Well he mentioned that he was
    50
    > years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered my
    opinion that
    > he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim when working
    > out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading
    another
    > article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
    > experience
    Hyponatremia

    It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at least
    12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or sport
    drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on mostly water
    so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

  4. "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're
    riding
    > ultra style rides of at least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all
    you do is
    > drink water without a balance of other food or sport drinks. It is
    rare
    > even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances
    on
    > mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

    I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race a
    few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
    ultra distance events.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. > I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race
    > a few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
    > ultra distance events.
    >
    > JT

    A triathlete died a few years ago in Chicago of hyponatremia during a 3 hour triathlon. So, it can
    happen in shorter events.

    Water Kills!!!

    BVB

  6. one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
    : It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at
    : least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or
    : sport drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on
    : mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

    Afaik it can be a real risk even in shorter trips, like 8 hours ;)

    What limits the problem is that it's fairly widely known, and also many sports drinks contain
    electrolytes.

  7. Stu

    Stu Guest

    stupid noobie question but is electrolytes another word for salt of one sort or another?

  8. stu wrote:
    > works fine for me

    Still don't work for me. Am I gonna die of this unknown disease just beacause I'll never get to know
    what it is?

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  9. Stu

    Stu Guest

    yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was that
    got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

  10. May I check your box for you, Stu?

    Fr. Guido

  11. stu wrote:
    > yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was
    > that got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

    Well that's the way it goes. You win some and you lose some. With time it's just water under the
    bridge anyway.

    Nope nothing in my inbox. The DOT to the left of the @ has to be replaced by
    a . thus making it per.elmsater and the DOT to the right of the @ has to be removed making
    it telia.com
    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  12. Stu

    Stu Guest

    well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
    scratching there head lol

    oh and Guido, you will have to ask allot nicer than that, but post a pic and l will think about it

  13. My son,

    You want to see my picture? Why, I'm just an old Padre. If you insist, here it is:
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/fr_guidosarducci

    Where do you need help scratching, again?

  14. stu wrote:
    > well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
    > scratching there head lol

    Yeah I just noticed myself now. So I've changed my sig instead. Thanks again for the texts you sent.
    Now at least I'll know why I die.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  15. Stu

    Stu Guest

    ok l have thought about it NO WAY lol

  16. My son,

    Would you like it the other way around? I won't bite. I promise.

    Fr. Guido

    "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ok l have thought about it NO WAY lol

  17. Stu

    Stu Guest

    l'll have to think about that to