inportant consideration for racing

Neptunium

Guest
I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and was left behind or
dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average group. He wanted to know why he was cramping
up. Well he mentioned that he was 50 years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered
my opinion that he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim
when working out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading another
article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
experience Hyponatremia to some extent and the longer ride the more severe. Aftere reading this
article mostly felt or experienced all of the symptoms. Here is the link to this article; I hope
that this helps someone out there if they read it and understand the biochemical aspect to riding
longer without killing brain cells.

Hyponatremia: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

"NEPTUNIUM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and
was
> left behind or dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average
group.
> He wanted to know why he was cramping up. Well he mentioned that he was
50
> years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered my
opinion that
> he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim when working
> out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading
another
> article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
> experience
Hyponatremia

It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at least
12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or sport
drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on mostly water
so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b5lt6l$2a00nq$1@ID-
> It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're
riding
> ultra style rides of at least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all
you do is
> drink water without a balance of other food or sport drinks. It is
rare
> even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances
on
> mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race a
few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
ultra distance events.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

> I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race
> a few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
> ultra distance events.
>
> JT

A triathlete died a few years ago in Chicago of hyponatremia during a 3 hour triathlon. So, it can
happen in shorter events.

Water Kills!!!

BVB

one of the six billion <[email protected]> wrote:
: It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at
: least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or
: sport drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on
: mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

Afaik it can be a real risk even in shorter trips, like 8 hours ;)

What limits the problem is that it's fairly widely known, and also many sports drinks contain
electrolytes.

stupid noobie question but is electrolytes another word for salt of one sort or another?

stu wrote:
> works fine for me

Still don't work for me. Am I gonna die of this unknown disease just beacause I'll never get to know
what it is?

--
Perre

Remove the DOTs to reply

yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was that
got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

May I check your box for you, Stu?

Fr. Guido

stu wrote:
> yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was
> that got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

Well that's the way it goes. You win some and you lose some. With time it's just water under the
bridge anyway.

Nope nothing in my inbox. The DOT to the left of the @ has to be replaced by
a . thus making it per.elmsater and the DOT to the right of the @ has to be removed making
it telia.com
--
Perre

Remove the DOTs to reply

well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
scratching there head lol

oh and Guido, you will have to ask allot nicer than that, but post a pic and l will think about it

My son,

You want to see my picture? Why, I'm just an old Padre. If you insist, here it is:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/fr_guidosarducci

Where do you need help scratching, again?

stu wrote:
> well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
> scratching there head lol

Yeah I just noticed myself now. So I've changed my sig instead. Thanks again for the texts you sent.
Now at least I'll know why I die.

--
Perre

Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply