Input on the new Tiagra shifter st-4500

mymxv

Oct 2, 2007
Want some feedback from users with the new Tiagra shifter. I was told they are basically the older 9 speed 105 shifters. The new Tiagra have a gear window and a bit bigger than the 105s. Does anyone know if it shift as smooth and last as long as the older 105s. Also, if the material use are the same as the 105s.

Thanks.

I saw them at the bike shop today and for Tiagra level - they were impressive with that gear viewer too. Now I wonder how much they cost and weigh too. Never tried them though.

I used them for about 40 miles on my new bike, they shifted very smooth, I changed them out with 105's because I wanted the Flight deck buttons. In my opion they shift as smooth if not a little smoother than the 105's I put on (105 model ST-5510).:confused:

As far as cost I saw them online for around $200.00, I sold mine on ebay for $110.00.

Fujiman said:
I used them for about 40 miles on my new bike, they shifted very smooth, I changed them out with 105's because I wanted the Flight deck buttons. In my opion they shift as smooth if not a little smoother than the 105's I put on (105 model ST-5510).:confused:

As far as cost I saw them online for around $200.00, I sold mine on ebay for $110.00.
Are you regreting you switched to the 105 shifters? I though the new Tiagra is Flight Deck compatible as well. Am I missing something?

mymxv said:
Are you regreting you switched to the 105 shifters? I though the new Tiagra is Flight Deck compatible as well. Am I missing something?

No I am not regreting I switched, you are right when you say they are flight deck compatible, LBS told me I needed some kind of adapter and all the functions would not work on the computer, when you take off the piece out of the shifter to install the flight deck sensor on the 105 or my old tiagra shifter there were small wires that matched up with wires on the sensor, the new tiagra shifters did not have these wires. Also the hoods did not have the small buttons on the inside for the sensor buttons, I guess you would need new hoods.

I got a good deal on the 105's on ebay they were brand new but I think about a year old model, because they are for 9 speed and the new 105's are 10 speed only.