Inquiry into the psyche of some cyclists

"But I'll go out on a limb here a bit too - you did something that was not so nice or smart yourself. If the trail was a multiuse trail you as a walker need to be aware of your surroundings and you should not suddenly stop,"

Our relative speed was high, so whether we suddnely stopped or not would not make much difference as far as safety is concerned. Now if two cars are tailgating, the one infront should not suddenly stop.

Plus, when baby cries, mothers instinct would be to stop regardless.

"nor should you block the trail by stopping so many people right in the middle of it."

They had enough space on both sides.

"If you need to stop, be considerate of the other users and go off the trail to do it."

Off trail wasn't easily accessible.

"I think the guys likely had the right to be frustrated at you."
They could have talked to us like two human beings.

"It doesn't excuse the swearing, but you may have nearly caused them to crash, or they may have been (and again this does not excuse them swearing at you) taking out some frustrations on you for the times they have almost crashed."

They were far when they started cursing, and they continued to curse long after they passed us.

I love that you just justified your own rudeness to me. Regardless of whether or not there is still a little room on a path if you stop, you shouldn't do it - its just rude and inconsiderate of all of the other users. You wouldn't stop your car in the middle of traffic to check on the baby would you?? Well in essence you did just that. A MUT is not a sidewalk.

That you needed to respond to me to tell me all about how you had every right to do what you did, to each and every one of my points, without at all accepting some responsibility for being inconsiderate, tells me that you likely do not think about others. You think that what you personally want is the most important thing in the world and that the other people don't matter as much. I am now suprised you don't get sworn at more often.

+1 Eden. I think sparkwave is anything but a cyclist. I think he came on here to bait us. Reading his posts in this thread to me sound progressively like he is trying to throw a barb at cyclists. His story is probably fabricated.

Notice how he made a point of saying his family stopped right in the middle of the MUT. And I've yet to see an MUT that has no shoulder/flat area beside that one can move onto.

Plus "When baby cries..mothers instinct would be to stop regardless". Yeah..right. I'm no mother... but I have yet to see one that freaks out as soon as their babe starts crying, and stops straight away, in the middle of a trailway. If the baby started crying as mum was crossing a road...would mum stop in the middle of the road?

and I have yet to see a MUT that could comfortably hold a stopped family of 6 + a baby carriage and still leave room to pass by on either side....

Interesting observation with this. Joggers and runners generally have a really great attitude that is for sure. People that work out tend to have very positive respectful demeanors. This is true. I would say that cyclists with this kind of nonsense probably have had a few peeps in cars giving them a hard time. Cursing at them and so forth. Monkey see monkey do. Not too smart. These are at the kind of people who probably just follow the pack. I always smile and wave at people who give a hard time. I mean who cares we're just sharing the road. I would like to think that people could just relax but sometimes a person is worshipping something. Time, money, car, bike, themselves, or whatever. Usually this is where anger stems from.