Insane

On Aug 28, 12:50 pm, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> On ebay, 300+ dollars for a pair of bmx pedals.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25pdbm

Collectors can be insane that way. In the case of "old skool" BMX
parts, it's disappointing because some of those old parts are useful
and don't have new counterparts.

For those who want vintage-style but higher-quality round BMX pedals,
Crupi pedals are still being made (though at $127, they are not cheap
either):

http://www.crupibmx.com/pedals.htm

Chalo

On Aug 28, 1:50 pm, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> On ebay, 300+ dollars for a pair of bmx pedals.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25pdbm

Before the page came up, I was thinking "Well...if they're Hutch..."

Those pedals are worth it to somebody out there. They were stock on a
bike that was $800 in the mid-'80s, and were so rare that I'm not sure
I've ever actually seen a pair in person. I'm pretty sure they were
ungodly expensive back then too (which means, IIRC, $100, which felt
like $3,000 when I was making minimum wage.) Most people I knew rode
Shimano DXs or clones of the Beartraps.

Also, IIRC, BMX Action's review of the Hutch pedals whimpered that
they were just too sharp, too nasty, and left their Vans shredded.
There may have been a rule in place that required they be filed down
for racing lest they eviscerate someone in the event of a crash.

In other words, they were not just good and functional back in the
day. They were obscene and dangerous to everyone within 15 feet. In
other words, coveted, lusted after, no less a teenager's unattainable
fantasy than the pictures from the Fredericks of Hollywood catalog I
had hidden under my mattress.

Scott

PS: Yes, I used to dream in Hutch. Sometimes I still do. No, I'm not
bidding on the pedals.

On Aug 28, 12:50 pm, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> On ebay, 300+ dollars for a pair of bmx pedals.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25pdbm

Collector market.

Insane? I'd guess that the buyers have a better handle on the market
(aka "reality") than those on the outside looking in.

Not to mention having gathered the bux somehow or another. They're not
all trust fund babies.

There was a time when "nobody wanted xyz" and they were given, or
thrown! away.

What would be "crazy" would be having a garage full of those, in
boxes. --D-y

On Aug 28, 7:40 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 12:50 pm, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On ebay, 300+ dollars for a pair of bmx pedals.

> >http://tinyurl.com/25pdbm

> Collector market.
>
> Insane? I'd guess that the buyers have a better handle on the market
> (aka "reality") than those on the outside looking in.
>
> Not to mention having gathered the bux somehow or another. They're not
> all trust fund babies.
>
> There was a time when "nobody wanted xyz" and they were given, or
> thrown! away.
>
> What would be "crazy" would be having a garage full of those, in
> boxes. --D-y

What's insane to me is spending a few grand on a comic book or a
baseball card.

Winning price was $330.

/s