Insert generic "need advice" thread title here

Originally Posted by m0b00st .

So what took you from the more comfort based Defy to the racey TCR?

Congrats on your new bike BTW!
I wish! Still shopping, no sense in rushing it around here right now as consistently good riding weather is 6-8 weeks away.

It's just been a matter of learning what it meant by "fit" and "geometry". I mean, obviously the basic meanings are obvious but how those really translate into real life takes some study and face time with experienced people at the LBSs. My current ride is so far out of date that the fit and geometry isn't terribly useful for picking a modern bike. Anyway, I had several LBS guys tell me that for my typical ride length (20 mi or so) and my current fitness and flexibility level (above average on both) I wouldn't have any discomfort with a properly sized and fitted race bike, and would be better equipped to dip my toe into racing. CF vs. Al simply became a question of a little more initial investment paying off big in the long run. Entry CF will give me all the racing capability I'm likely to ever want or need, not to mention more comfort on my everyday rides.

Of course all this is subject to change. I'm still on the fence with CF or Al, as there is other equipment I will need and the cost/benefit is dependent largely on the weight difference, which info if difficult to find. I also haven't ridden anything yet (thanks to the weather). Budget and other priorities (dang kids!) dictate that whatever I get had better hold me over for a long time; I won't be able to upgrade bikes every year or two. So I'm going to take my time and get it right.

Originally Posted by Fly1296 .

Quote: Originally Posted by m0b00st .

So what took you from the more comfort based Defy to the racey TCR?

Congrats on your new bike BTW!
I wish! Still shopping, no sense in rushing it around here right now as consistently good riding weather is 6-8 weeks away.

It's just been a matter of learning what it meant by "fit" and "geometry". I mean, obviously the basic meanings are obvious but how those really translate into real life takes some study and face time with experienced people at the LBSs. My current ride is so far out of date that the fit and geometry isn't terribly useful for picking a modern bike. Anyway, I had several LBS guys tell me that for my typical ride length (20 mi or so) and my current fitness and flexibility level (above average on both) I wouldn't have any discomfort with a properly sized and fitted race bike, and would be better equipped to dip my toe into racing. CF vs. Al simply became a question of a little more initial investment paying off big in the long run. Entry CF will give me all the racing capability I'm likely to ever want or need, not to mention more comfort on my everyday rides.

Of course all this is subject to change. I'm still on the fence with CF or Al, as there is other equipment I will need and the cost/benefit is dependent largely on the weight difference, which info if difficult to find. I also haven't ridden anything yet (thanks to the weather). Budget and other priorities (dang kids!) dictate that whatever I get had better hold me over for a long time; I won't be able to upgrade bikes every year or two. So I'm going to take my time and get it right.

1296 -sounds like you had better get this one correct the first time around . seems like the majority around here leans towards AL -and thats ok , because there are some excellent AL bikes out there. myself - CF all day all night- why not ? you can beat yourself up all day long on which type of material you should purchase , but you know that you can get high performance out of either type . budget always weighs heavy on one's shoulders , but if you know there will not be any upgrades for along time and going up to CF does not break the bank, then you should seriously consider it - especially if you are going to be competitive ( with others or even with yourself ) . remind yourself that spending some money on yourself does not make you selfish and that sometimes instead of spoiling everybody else all the time that you can spoil yourself once in a while. (plenty of time to spoil the kids and as a good father I'm sure you will ).keep sockin that dough away because that purchase sound like it's going to happen real soon ! Good luck 1296 .

I would definately go CF if you dont think you will be buying another bike any time in the near future. No sense in buying AL just to regret it later, and then not be in a position to rectify it. Just my thought on the matter.