Installation problems with Irda wireless bridge for Polar 720i HRM

Michael Buettne

Guest
I have tried in vain to get a SigmaTel Irda wireless bridge (Ir to USB device)to work with my
desktop PC and Windows 98. I installed the softare OK, but no matter what I do, the IR bridge is not
recognized. The infrared monitor is not there either. I tried the Add New Hardware Wizard without
success. The manufacturer, SigmaTel, and the particular device do not come up on the lists which are
presented in the Wizard.

I have used the IR communication with a laptop PC without problems, so I know the Polar software and
HRM are fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you ever got any USB device to work on this computer? I believe you need Windows 98 SE for USB
support. Does it detect a new device when you plug it in to the USB port?

Chris

"Michael Buettner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have tried in vain to get a SigmaTel Irda wireless bridge (Ir to USB device)to work with my
> desktop PC and Windows 98. I installed the softare OK, but no matter what I do, the IR bridge is
> not recognized. The infrared monitor is not there either. I tried the Add New Hardware Wizard
> without success. The manufacturer, SigmaTel, and the particular device do not come up on the lists
> which are presented in the Wizard.
>
> I have used the IR communication with a laptop PC without problems, so I know the Polar software
> and HRM are fine.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

<cut> Windows 98 is your culprit. This is a very well known problem in Windows
98.

!!!!This fix only applies to VIA chip based motherboards.!!!!!!!!!!!

Right click on the "My Computer" icon and choose properties.

Choose "Device Mangler(manager)".

Go through the list and see if your system uses the "VIA chipset". Any reference to VIA would be
useful. If so then all you need to do is go to:

http://www.viatech.com

and open the "Quick link" scroll box and choose "drivers".

There are 3 drivers that I recommend..

You need to update the IDE driver for the motherboard, then update the usb driver (these two may fix
the system). The IRDA driver may be useful but that is usually for onboard IRDA. You did mention
that yours is not onboard, but in fact, is a USB device. But that may be helpfull as well.

AGAIN, ONLY DO THIS UPDATE IF YOU DO HAVE THE VIA CHIPSET ON YOUR SYSTEM.

IHTH,

NS