Installing a bike computer

melslur

Oct 31, 2005
I'm new to the sport and have a basic question on how to install a bike computer. I bought a Specialized Turbo Elite computer for my Allez. Does the wireless speed transmitter go in front of, or behing, the fork? Also, is it fair to assume that the end with the battery plug should be at the top (pointing towards the sky as opposed to the ground)? The picture shows the battery plug pointing towards the ground (which seems like it would increase the possibility of the battery screw falling out) and the transmitter at the FRONT of the fork. However, I installed a wired computer before and the picture showed the sensor BEHIND the fork on that one. I figured you guys would know "the right way".

Thanks!

melslur said:
I'm new to the sport and have a basic question on how to install a bike computer. I bought a Specialized Turbo Elite computer for my Allez. Does the wireless speed transmitter go in front of, or behing, the fork? Also, is it fair to assume that the end with the battery plug should be at the top (pointing towards the sky as opposed to the ground)? The picture shows the battery plug pointing towards the ground (which seems like it would increase the possibility of the battery screw falling out) and the transmitter at the FRONT of the fork. However, I installed a wired computer before and the picture showed the sensor BEHIND the fork on that one. I figured you guys would know "the right way".

Thanks!

RTFM ............

I'm a believer in installing computer sensors in front of the fork. That way if, for any reason, your sensor gets knocked into the wheel, the rotation of the wheel will push it back out.

Retro Grouch said:
I'm a believer in installing computer sensors in front of the fork. That way if, for any reason, your sensor gets knocked into the wheel, the rotation of the wheel will push it back out.
+1 on this.

If your battery falls out (extremely unlikely), then your computer shuts off. If your sensor bracket gets caught up in the spokes then there are a lot of possibly outcomes that are not so good. I have set up a lot of computers and I have never seen one that sets up behind the fork. All sensors work by sensing the passing magnetic field and this is effective over a range of a couple of centimeters. So, even if you installed a sensor backwards (i.e. behind the fork) it should still work - and vice versa.