installing a front derailleur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vincent Chiao, May 20, 2003.

  1. hello, i have a roadbike with a rear derailleur and 7 speed cassette (shimano 105 set) but no front
    derailleur. it's a decent--not fantastic, but decent--bike, and i was wondering if it would be
    possible and/or reasonable price and effort wise to install a front derailleur. (part of the reason
    is that this summer i intend to go riding around in a fairly mountainous region and my knees are
    aleady in less than ideal shape.) the bike, unfortunately, does not seem to have the usual front
    derailleur cable stops, so i assume i'd have to have those brazed on. in addition, i assume i'd need
    the following: new front derailleur, new chainring(s), new chain, shifter, derailleur cable. as is
    probably obvious, i don't know a whole lot about bikes but thought that, if it's not too expensive
    to acquire these parts and if i can do most of the labor (other than brazing on those cable stops),
    it might be a good way to learn some stuff. thoughts on the feasibility/ recommendability of this
    idea? thanks! --vincent.

    Tags:

  2. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > the bike, unfortunately, does not seem to have the usual front derailleur cable stops, so i assume
    > i'd have to have those brazed on.

    I upgraded an old bike a while ago which did not have stops. I had them brazed on, but threw away an
    old cable guide that bolted onto the bottom of the seat tube. I'll bet you could still find one
    somewhere. It worked fine and you could avoid having to paint the bike.

    There's a picture of something similar on Alex Wetmore's site at:

    http://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/trekroad/bb1.jpg

    Rick

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "vincent chiao" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hello, i have a roadbike with a rear derailleur and 7
    speed cassette
    > (shimano 105 set) but no front derailleur. it's a
    decent--not fantastic, but
    > decent--bike, and i was wondering if it would be possible
    and/or reasonable
    > price and effort wise to install a front derailleur. (part
    of the reason is
    > that this summer i intend to go riding around in a fairly
    mountainous region
    > and my knees are aleady in less than ideal shape.) the bike, unfortunately, does not seem to have
    > the usual
    front derailleur
    > cable stops, so i assume i'd have to have those brazed on.
    in addition, i
    > assume i'd need the following: new front derailleur, new
    chainring(s), new
    > chain, shifter, derailleur cable. as is probably obvious, i don't know a whole lot about
    bikes but thought
    > that, if it's not too expensive to acquire these parts and
    if i can do most
    > of the labor (other than brazing on those cable stops), it
    might be a good
    > way to learn some stuff. thoughts on the feasibility/
    recommendability of
    > this idea? thanks! --vincent.

    You don't state what type of shifter(s) you have now, and how the rear dérailleur cable is
    currently routed

    Rather than brazing on stuff, which will probably not be cost effective, and will ruin the paint,
    why not consider clamp-on stops and cable guides? If you're going to use handlebar or stem mounted
    shifters, you can use a simple, non adjustable downtube double stop - see
    http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-77983

    or you can modify a downtube shifter mount to take adjustable cable stops.

    You can also get a clamp-on cable stop/guide for the bottom of the downtube - see
    http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-77985

    I have in my junk box some old SunTour versions of these clamps if you don't want to pay three
    dollars and ninety-eight cents for new ones - grin...