installing crown race on all-carbon fork?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Coggan, May 26, 2003.

  1. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    New bike with all-carbon fork (legs/crown/steerer) and integrated headset. Crown race seat measures
    26.4 mm, whereas split crown race of headset spec'd
    w/ bike expands to a maximum of 25.5 mm when inserted into cartridge bearing. As a result, when
    placed by hand crown race/bearing bottom out on fork about 2 cm above crown race seat. W/o the
    cartridge bearing, crown race expands to fit over crown race seat, but then is too large in
    diameter to fit into cartridge bearing. My questions are:

    1) does all this sound normal?

    2) if so, do you just force the crown race/bearing into place as you would with a metal fork? and/or

    3) is it sometimes necessary to sand the crown race seat to remove excess clearcoat/epoxy?

    Andy Coggan

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > New bike with all-carbon fork (legs/crown/steerer) and integrated headset. Crown race seat
    > measures 26.4 mm, whereas split crown race of headset
    spec'd
    > w/ bike expands to a maximum of 25.5 mm when inserted into cartridge bearing. As a result, when
    > placed by hand crown race/bearing bottom out on fork about 2 cm above crown race seat. W/o the
    > cartridge bearing, crown
    race
    > expands to fit over crown race seat, but then is too large in diameter to fit into cartridge
    > bearing. My questions are:
    >
    > 1) does all this sound normal?
    >
    > 2) if so, do you just force the crown race/bearing into place as you would with a metal fork?
    > and/or
    >
    > 3) is it sometimes necessary to sand the crown race seat to remove excess clearcoat/epoxy?

    I am not an expert here but are you sure you don't have the _top_ split ring- which should
    be 25.4mm?

    Generally, "alternate materials" do not get milled as small as a steel crown, e.g., aluminum and
    carbon crowns cut with a mill designed for a steel seat end up loose.

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > New bike with all-carbon fork (legs/crown/steerer) and integrated
    headset.
    > > Crown race seat measures 26.4 mm, whereas split crown race of headset
    > spec'd
    > > w/ bike expands to a maximum of 25.5 mm when inserted into cartridge bearing. As a result, when
    > > placed by hand crown race/bearing bottom out
    on
    > > fork about 2 cm above crown race seat. W/o the cartridge bearing, crown
    > race
    > > expands to fit over crown race seat, but then is too large in diameter
    > > fit into cartridge bearing. My questions are:
    > >
    > > 1) does all this sound normal?
    > >
    > > 2) if so, do you just force the crown race/bearing into place as you
    would
    > > with a metal fork? and/or
    > >
    > > 3) is it sometimes necessary to sand the crown race seat to remove
    excess
    > > clearcoat/epoxy?
    >

    > I am not an expert here but are you sure you don't have the _top_ split ring- which should
    > be 25.4mm?

    That may very well be it - the installation instructions for the headset (Cane Creek IS) aren't
    clear, indicating only that the crown race may be be split for easier installation.

    Andy Coggan

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Andy Coggan
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > New bike with all-carbon fork (legs/crown/steerer) and integrated headset. Crown race seat
    > measures 26.4 mm, whereas split crown race of headset spec'd w/ bike expands to a maximum of 25.5
    > mm when inserted into cartridge bearing. As a result, when placed by hand crown race/bearing
    > bottom out on fork about 2 cm above crown race seat. W/o the cartridge bearing, crown race expands
    > to fit over crown race seat, but then is too large in diameter to fit into cartridge bearing. My
    > questions are:
    >
    > 1) does all this sound normal?
    >
    > 2) if so, do you just force the crown race/bearing into place as you would with a metal fork?
    > and/or
    >
    > 3) is it sometimes necessary to sand the crown race seat to remove excess clearcoat/epoxy?

    Something is wrong. It may be necessary to remove the odd thou or two to get a good and relatively
    easy fit but almost a mm out is too far out. Are you sure its the right race?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    > > 1) does all this sound normal?
    > >
    > > 2) if so, do you just force the crown race/bearing into place as you would with a metal fork?
    > > and/or
    > >
    > > 3) is it sometimes necessary to sand the crown race seat to remove excess clearcoat/epoxy?
    > >

    > Something is wrong. It may be necessary to remove the odd thou or two to get a good and relatively
    > easy fit but almost a mm out is too far out. Are you sure its the right race?

    Mic the diameter of the crown race and the fork steerer seat. I suspect there is too much
    interference. I had two issues w/Cane Creek (threadless but not the integrated models). My LBS had
    to cut away some material on my Mizuno in order to seat the race. I also called Cane Creek about a
    new crown race/bearing because it wouldn't seat right (1/4" too high). They will send you a new
    unit for free.