installing "grab on" foam grips over cables (STI levers)

Mark Freedman

Guest
The only way I can see to install foam grips where the cables fit into a groove in the handlebars is
to slit them and reglue them.

Is there a better way? I don't see how I can remove the
STI levers while leaving the cables in place, slide the foam
grips over the bars / cables, then reinstall the STI levers.

If I slit / reglue the grips, what is the recommended glue? Contact (rubber) cement?
Silicone seal?

I've tried gluing foam onto another bike's handlebars with hot melt glue, and I could still feel
the glue through the foam (wasn't proper "grab on" foam, though).

Thanks.

mark freedman wrote:
> The only way I can see to install foam grips where the cables fit into a groove in the handlebars
> is to slit them and reglue them.
>
> Is there a better way? I don't see how I can remove the
> STI levers while leaving the cables in place, slide the foam
> grips over the bars / cables, then reinstall the STI levers.

Installing Grab-Ons over "aero" brake cables is indeed a major hemorrhoid.

I haven't done this for a while, but my technique is to cut the housing to size, then install a
cable through it, running from the end that will come out near the stem and through. This gives you
something to pull on so the housing will stay in place as you muscle the Grab-On into position.

I use hairspray and rubbing alcohol for this. The rubbing alcohol is actually injected through the
Grab-On to free up stuck spots.

> I've tried gluing foam onto another bike's handlebars with hot melt glue, and I could still
> feel the glue through the foam (wasn't proper "grab on" foam, though).

There are a number of low-end imitation foam grips, but they're uniformly inferior to the Genuine
Article, and won't last nearly as long in use. Accept no substitutes!

Sheldon "Genuine Grab-Ons" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
| Ah, but I was so much older then, | I'm younger than that now. | -Bob Dylan |
+-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The only way I can see to install foam grips where the cables fit into a groove in the handlebars
> is to slit them and reglue them.
>
> Is there a better way? I don't see how I can remove the
> STI levers while leaving the cables in place, slide the foam
> grips over the bars / cables, then reinstall the STI levers.
>
> If I slit / reglue the grips, what is the recommended glue? Contact (rubber) cement? Silicone
> seal?
>
> I've tried gluing foam onto another bike's handlebars with hot melt glue, and I could still
> feel the glue through the foam (wasn't proper "grab on" foam, though).

Mechanics run the cable casings under the foam, then install the levers and wires. It is a RPITA but
it can be done. Slitting and gluing the foam grips sounds even more difficult to do well.

Ever tried cork tape?