Installing Headset on Carbon Bike - Should I Use Grease?

earlrise

Jun 22, 2014
Hi everyone, I have an Specialized S Works SL4 and am just about to fit a new headset.
I wondered what was recommended about the use of grease on the cup/headtube interface? Is this to be left dry as the contact is metal to carbon?
It would seem to make sense to grease the metal race on the forks to prevent water ingress, but not sure about the rest. Cheers for any help or advice.

Originally Posted by earlrise
Hi everyone, I have an Specialized S Works SL4 and am just about to fit a new headset.
I wondered what was recommended about the use of grease on the cup/headtube interface? Is this to be left dry as the contact is metal to carbon?
It would seem to make sense to grease the metal race on the forks to prevent water ingress, but not sure about the rest. Cheers for any help or advice.
I've heard two schools of thought about the metal-to-carbon headset interface--leave it dry to reduce movement, or apply a light coating of grease to prevent corrosion and creaking. I favor greasing.

Metal-to-metal interfaces should be lightly greased to prevent corrosion.

I am also in favor of grease for carbon-to-metal contact. I have used lithium grease, wheel bearing grease and Vaseline for years with no adverse effects.