installing my sti's, help!

cyclonut

Sep 24, 2006
Hi,

New member, and first message, aint it exciting!

Just bought some 2nd hand ultegra 9 speed sti shifters for my currently flat bar'd Marin. Got the drop bars through, so thought i'd stick shifters on and get them connected up.
WRONG!!

Cant for the life of me work out how to connect the STI shifters, mounted them ok, and the brake cable looks easy enough, but the cable for gear selection, really cannot work out how to get the shifter apart to install a cable.

I'm sure I'm making heavy work out of a simple job, sat looking at them for about 2 hours yeaterday trying every which way, and am none the wiser from it!

Any help would be spot on, if anyone has any assembly or installation guides
would be much appreciated

Cheers All

CycloNut

what ever you do, make sure the small lever of each STI is 'clicked all the way out' before you put the cable in, so that you can see the bit that holds the end of the cable. Many people get cables jammed in there by doing this incorrectly. The left lever only has one 'click', which sometimes feels like 2, and the right lever obviously has 8 downshifts

531Aussie said:
what ever you do, make sure the small lever of each STI is 'clicked all the way out' before you put the cable in, so that you can see the bit that holds the end of the cable. Many people get cables jammed in there by doing this incorrectly. The left lever only has one 'click', which sometimes feels like 2, and the right lever obviously has 8 downshifts
Actually, 9-speed Ultegra STI's will have 4 or 5 gear shift positions but Aussie is absolutely right when he says that the most important key is to be sure you are in the smallest sprocket position before you try to install the shift cable. If you get that right I think that everything else will pretty much fall into place.

The cable is inserted with the brake lever depressed. You will often need to open the brake release cam and screw in the brake barrel adjuster all the way to give yourself enough movement of the lever to get at the bits inside (unless you were clever enough to mount the gear cable before fixing the brake cable). On a 2003 105 shifter , there is simply a hole to feed the cable through (with the ratchet fully upshifted as per 531Aussie), while on the DuraAce of the same year, a small plastic plate has to be removed, by undoing a screw, to gain access to the cable hole. I don't know about Ultegra. If there is a screw, make sure that you tighten it adequately after cable insertion, or it will work its way loose.

yeah, i just about wrecked a lever many years ago. I put the cable in incorrectly, connected it, and even had it shifting properly for a few days before the cable got chewed up and fragments got inside the mechanism, jamming it. :p